1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cost for entire paint jobs??

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Henry2019, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Mar 22, 2022 at 3:49 PM
    Henry2019

Henry2019 [OP] N/A

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 CM CEMENT GREY
    3/1 Lift Kit 20X9 Fuel Assaults +1 295/60/R20 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W
    I know this question is kinda subjective, but how much would one be looking to pay for a bumper to bumper spray paint job (OEM quality) on a full sized pickup truck?

2. Mar 22, 2022 at 3:54 PM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    as long as there is not a lot of repair, for a quality job I think you would be looking at 4-5 large or more. Of course most of the cost is labor and prep. A good paint job is not cheap.

I spent over $3k on paint for a 72 Pontiac I was restoring, shoot like 20 years ago. So you are probably looking at 5 grand for entry .

Saltyhero13 likes this.
  3. Mar 22, 2022 at 4:07 PM
    poop_bubbles

poop_bubbles New Member

Member:
    For true OEM quality? Impossible. The entire chassis would have to be stripped, cleaned to like new metal in every 100% inaccessible nook and cranny, phosphated & electro-coated before being perfectly coated with primer and paint by an automated machine. This process involves complete submersion in a tub. This would probably cost more than a new car. You simply cannot replicate a factory job. Keep in mind I am not talking about concourse level garage queen collector car paint that you can see the stars in, that is a very different process. I am talking about paint that will stay bonded to metal for 400k miles and still kind of shine in 20 years.

This is how OEM does it;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OMAnAS8cBI

Best shops in town will claim OEM quality but they offer nothing close, not even remotely close. If they do it right; all trim is removed, all glass is removed, still not anywhere near OEM. You'll probably spend $3-6k for a "good" paint job. No paint shop can do anything that will last as long as an OEM Toyota finish, but they can make it shiny and newish looking for 10+ years.

For less budget they do not remove glass but tape around it, same with trim. This method usually results in chipping along edges over time and paint never quite looks right at seams.. $2-3k I would guess. Usually starts to look like shit after 5 years.

Maaco will spray it for less than $800. Very low quality. You're lucky if they even use primer. No sanding, no body work. It'll look like trash and every chip will show through the new paint as a little indentation. This is what most people do on a high mileage beater that they don't care about or are looking to sell quick. These paint jobs look like shit on day one, and way worse after a year or two.

Regardless of where you go, body work is expensive if done right. Every little dent repair is a couple hundred bucks minimum.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  4. Mar 22, 2022 at 4:18 PM
    cctxquicksand

cctxquicksand IG - TRDistheWrd

Member:
    A lot of variables as others have stated but if your talking door jams and behind the cab I think your looking at close to 8k

Have you considered a wrap job?

Products Discussed in

To Top