1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cooper STT pro vs Nitto Ridge Grappler

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by TSAV14, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Nov 28, 2018 at 5:01 PM
    robbb38

robbb38 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    18 limited crewmax
    I loved the look of them. But the traction was terrible for me. Not sure it matters but this was my previous truck, F150. My friend has them also on his F150 (newer style than mine) with the same issues.

2. Nov 28, 2018 at 5:15 PM
    GAknight

GAknight New Member

Member:
    Shade of a Pine, GA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TSS 4x4
    Too many…scratch that…not done yet.
    Well that may explain it. I was going to ask you what you had the tires on.
    I've got a buddy that had a F150 (until a year ago) that had a similar problem. It was his brakes sticking all the time.

If memory serves, his F150 front calipers were only two (single-sided) pistons per caliper. Tundra's are four per caliper (two, dual-pistons). So we literally have twice the breaking power up front.
    I'd say the sliding was likely a brake issue of some type., regardless of the tires.

Sunnier likes this.
  3. Nov 28, 2018 at 5:59 PM
    robbb38

robbb38 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    18 limited crewmax
    I’d beg to differ since I didn’t have the problem when I switched over to coopers on that truck. The rear wheels also spun like crazy at the front gate at the base I work at with the duratracs; also resolved when I switched.

4. Nov 28, 2018 at 6:24 PM
    GAknight

GAknight New Member

Member:
    Shade of a Pine, GA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TSS 4x4
    Too many…scratch that…not done yet.
    By all means, differ. You're talking about two different set of characteristics of two different tires; on two different trucks, of which the F150's had known issues with brakes sticking/ locking.

I'm sure you're not alone in your dislike of the Duratracs. There's plenty of options for everyone's environment and needs.
    I heard nothing but great things about the Mickey T's I was running before...then ended up with two of them wearing unevenly and chunking, while the other two were perfect (no alignment issues and rotated every 5-7K mi.). Only had them for 30K miles. I won't ever use them again. 'And hence, I've moved on.

Either way, I've heard way more good than not on the Duratracs (from guys on here). Like the other brands/styles before, I'll run them until there's a need not to. :thumbsup:

5. Nov 28, 2018 at 6:45 PM
    robbb38

robbb38 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    18 limited crewmax
    No I was talking about the same truck running both tires lol. Anyways, didn’t mean for the response to be a bash fest on duratracs. Just providing the OP with two experiences with the tires which were not positive. Hoping to give OP some insight into his decision. I’d personally never run duratracs ever again :thumbsup:

GAknight[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Nov 28, 2018 at 7:06 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    AT vs MT. Both have Armor-Tek3 reinforced sidewalls. The STT's are better than my Nitto Trail Grap M/T's that I had. By far.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Sunnier[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Nov 28, 2018 at 7:13 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way

I had DuraTracs on my 09 Taco that I drove up to AK and back. I don't recommend them for off road conditions were rocks come into play due to the soft sidewalls.... other than that...probably the best all around AT out there. I never had any issues with them.... sleet, snow, packed snow , in rain, gravel, dirt, icey pavement running at 70 mph most of the time on my way up past Dawson Creek where the Al Can starts. I had zero issues braking on wet surfaces, but then again I turned off the nannies. The DuraTracs have more than enough siping to handle any wet roads. The Al Can highway to AK has every freakin road condition you can imagine.

GAknight and Sunnier like this.
  8. Nov 28, 2018 at 7:16 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    GAknight and Black Wolf like this.
  9. Nov 28, 2018 at 7:20 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I have both sets. The Maxx's and STT's. I do highly recommend looking into the new Cooper AT3 XLT. I don't think they have the Armor-Tek3 sidewalls but not necessarily a bad thing. The Armor-Tek3 tires are f*cking heavy.

Products Discussed in

To Top