1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cooper ST Maxx Tire Review

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by ToyotaTundraMike, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Apr 18, 2016 at 10:17 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

ToyotaTundraMike [OP] Not A New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Had some 275/70/18 Cooper ST Maxx installed last week. Got to test them in a few different conditions over the weekend so I figured I would start my review thread. Absolutely love them so far. I wanted an aggressive looking tire that isn't too loud, lasts a long time, does well on wet roads and can get me anywhere I need to go and it appears so far that thats exactly what I got.

Looks: 10/10. Have already received several compliments on how aggressive they look. Pictures online don't do them justice.

Noise: 8/10. They are super quiet for such an aggressive design. WAY quieter than the Toyo's I had on my 1st gen. Even going 75+ on the highway they never got too bad.

Wet Roads: 10/10. I drove in a variety of different wet conditions over the weekend and they performed flawlessly even on fresh wet roads. A few times I actually tried to hit the puddles that looked like hydroplane material and they just weren't having it.

Off-Road: 8/10. I don't do much offroading, but I do have some pretty beat up dirt roads on the way to the farm. They handled great in the mud and they soaked up a lot of the small bumps and stuff that normally give me a headache.

Ride Quality: 8/10. A little stiffer of a ride than the Michelin all terrains that I had on there, but I actually like it better. I feel less of the small bumps and cracks in the roads. No complaints at all with the ride quality. My g/f didn't notice a difference either, and that's saying something.

Tread Wear: N/A. Haven't had them long enough to comment on this, but I will update after each trip to the dealer. From what I have read and heard, they are going to last a while. Took a trip up to Georgia over the weekend to pick up my buck mount, and they still look brand new.

Gas Mileage: N/A. Will update this after I do a few tests. So far it seems like my mileage has dropped by about 1-1.5 mpg (which I obviously knew was gonna happen, just unsure how much), but then again I was towing the boat a lot over the weekend and driving into some hard wind. Will test them out in different conditions over the next few weeks.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    ColoradoTJ, dcsleeper408 and rons23 like this.
  2. Apr 18, 2016 at 10:19 AM
    Sean266

Sean266 #ThinBlueLine Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Any pix of them on ur truck?

3. Apr 18, 2016 at 10:22 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Will update with several pics this afternoon whenever I get the truck back from the Bilstein 5100 install. It's been dark and raining lately so the only pics I have as of now aren't that great.

4. Apr 18, 2016 at 12:17 PM
    ToyotaTundraMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Updated with some pics. Really happy with how the truck looks after Bilsteins installed on middle setting. Slight rake, but still looks level.

5. Apr 19, 2016 at 12:33 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    I've had st Maxx on my taco for some time now, tread wear is awesome. Stiff rubber, which makes snow performance dwindle slightly.... great offroad tho

6. Apr 19, 2016 at 2:13 PM
    dandailey

dandailey New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan D
    Newport News Va.
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD 4x4 DC Tundra 5.7 Blue Ribbon
    Bakflip Revolver X2 ,Nestahedition Firestalk antenna, TRD dual exhaust, WeatherTech liners, in channel deflectors, 20% tint front, Tundra bed mat.AFE pro dry s filter,SA XDM 3.8 compact 9mm., Wheel to wheel N-Fab 3 steps.Lamin-X yellow on fogs, Bilstein 6112's top setting, BFG KO2's 275/70-18.
    I'm in process of getting new tires and these are now on my short list. Great review btw.

ToyotaTundraMike likes this.
  7. Apr 19, 2016 at 4:02 PM
    ToyotaTundraMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Nice! Is the taco your DD or is it your offroad truck? Luckily it never snows here where I'm at. My main concern was wet road performance since it rains quite often here in FL, and I was pleasantly surprised with how well they performed in that category.

Thanks man! What others are you looking at? I was torn between these and the BFG KO2s for a while but decided to go with these since I ran into a good deal.

8. Apr 19, 2016 at 4:27 PM
    dandailey

dandailey New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan D
    Newport News Va.
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD 4x4 DC Tundra 5.7 Blue Ribbon
    Bakflip Revolver X2 ,Nestahedition Firestalk antenna, TRD dual exhaust, WeatherTech liners, in channel deflectors, 20% tint front, Tundra bed mat.AFE pro dry s filter,SA XDM 3.8 compact 9mm., Wheel to wheel N-Fab 3 steps.Lamin-X yellow on fogs, Bilstein 6112's top setting, BFG KO2's 275/70-18.
    Looking at these and KO2s atm. I like the way the Coopers look more though.

9. Apr 19, 2016 at 6:34 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    It was my dd for about a year on those tires then I got my tundra.

10. Apr 19, 2016 at 6:39 PM
    Sean266

Sean266 #ThinBlueLine Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    I'll have my Cooper STT Pro's on tmrw so it'll be interesting to compare :playball:

11. Apr 19, 2016 at 6:46 PM
    zcarpenter92

zcarpenter92 Yotas, Coronas and 'Merica

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Eastern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Desert Sand 2008 Tundra TRD
    In sig
    Lookin forward to hearing about those. A few of my buddy's run Cooper AT's and really like em.

12. Apr 19, 2016 at 7:26 PM
    ToyotaTundraMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Those things look sweet! If I did more offroading than I would have went with those as well.

13. Apr 20, 2016 at 6:03 PM
    Ancient1

Ancient1 New Member

Member:
    Tallahassee
    Vehicle:
    2012 rclb tundra 4x4
    Had them on my Tacoma the past year. Good looking, tough 10 ply rating and they pull great.....couldn't get them to break traction. (Of course that was with a 4 cyl)

14. Apr 20, 2016 at 7:50 PM
    Mac-ak

Mac-ak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2013 RW DC
    De-badged,tint,bedliner,remote start,21' Blitz pro,14 inch stubby,Rigid D2 Fog Conversion, powder coated RW rings, leveling kit, Wet Okole fronts, weathertech mats F&R
    Look great! Plan to go with the STT Pro like Sean just did, however, keep bouncing back and forth because I think these would be better for my Ak winters.

To Top