1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Consumer Reporting Agency Security Freeze Minors

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by T-Rex266, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Apr 27, 2018 at 5:35 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 [OP] Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Concerning a consumer reporting agency's placement of a security freeze on the consumer report of a consumer who is under the charge of a representative at the request of the consumer's representative.
    SESSION:
    2018 Regular Session
    SUBJECT:
    Financial Services & Commerce

Section 2 of the bill authorizes a parent or legal guardian (representative) to request that a consumer reporting agency place a security freeze on the consumer report of either a minor less than 16 years of age or another individual who is a ward of the representative (protected consumer). If the consumer reporting agency does not yet have a consumer report for the protected consumer at the time that a security freeze is requested, the consumer reporting agency, if requested in writing by the representative, is required to create a consumer record for the protected consumer and place a security freeze on the consumer record.

The protected consumer's representative may request that the consumer reporting agency remove the security freeze. A protected consumer who demonstrates to the consumer reporting agency that his or her representative's appointment is no longer valid may have the security freeze removed.

A consumer reporting agency is not allowed to charge a fee for the placement, temporary lift, partial lift, or removal of a security freeze on a protected consumer's consumer report or record, or for the creation of a record for a protected consumer. Additionally, a consumer reporting agency is not allowed to charge a fee to place, temporarily lift, partially lift, or permanently remove a security freeze on a consumer report or record of a consumer who is under eighteen years of age.

Section 3 requires consumer reporting agencies to provide a notice informing parents or other individuals serving as representatives that they may request a security freeze on the consumer report or record of their child or ward.

Section 1 defines the terms 'protected consumer', 'record', 'representative', 'sufficient proof of authority', and 'sufficient proof of identification', and amends the definition of 'security freeze'.

Sections 4 through 7 make conforming amendments.
    (Note: This summary applies to the reengrossed version of this bill as introduced in the second house.)

Source

Sunnier likes this.
  2. Apr 27, 2018 at 7:25 AM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    So if I'm reading this right, does this mean I can call the credit reporting agencies and ask them to freeze my kids SSN from being checked and credit ran against them?

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  3. Apr 27, 2018 at 7:27 AM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    Is there an easier way to freeze credit than calling each, now 4 I believe, credit agencies?

4. Apr 27, 2018 at 8:40 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 [OP] Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
  5. Apr 27, 2018 at 8:49 AM
    Skippy

Skippy Standing for the Flag

Member:
    San Antonio US of A
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra 1794
    Yes, you can call AND the generous agencies charge for it. I keep a freeze on mine, and monitor it as a precaution. If you buy anything on credit you will need to unfreeze it till the reports are run, and then call back to freeze it again. In this day and age, if they can hack the government, credit bureau's, banks, etc.., my attitude is better safe than sorry. If you ever have fraud identity, or know someone that has been compromised you'll know what a royal PITA it is

6. Apr 27, 2018 at 11:18 AM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    I'm pretty sure based on what I've read today that the agencies can not charge a fee to freeze the credit of someone under 18. I just didn't know if there was a way to do it without having to call each agency and deal with their bullshit. I thought maybe some banks or credit cards offered it as a service.

Products Discussed in

To Top