1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Construction Industry Careers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Ps3udonymous, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Mar 27, 2019 at 7:42 AM
    Ps3udonymous

Ps3udonymous [OP] Who is the smart ass that changed the title?

Member:
    Residential or commercial. Looking into different careers and curious to see what you do, a day in the life, education (college or job experience) that got you to where you are at.

SoCal619 likes this.
  2. Mar 27, 2019 at 7:52 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    The construction industry is an important economic indicator. One of the first to be hit by downturns and usually a little slow to catch up when the economy turns around. Construction is also seasonal. People don't want to have their kitchen remodeled at Thanksgiving or Christmas. Often tax season can delay potential projects. Or, the weather may be too inclement.
    Therefore, the trades that are least effected are elec. and plumbing. Oh yeah, they'll call you to unstop a toilet Thanksgiving day but not to measure for new granite counter tops.
    Food for thought for anyone considering a career in the trades.

Twinky, Markman, Black Wolf and 3 others like this.
  3. Mar 27, 2019 at 8:03 AM
    TrooperDC4x4

TrooperDC4x4 New Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2017 BBP Double Cab 5.7L TRD 4X4 OR
    Bilstein 5100 2.5", 1.5"
    What 831 said is true but once you build a reputation as a trustworthy professional who can be trusted and does good work you can stay pretty busy. When the crash hit 10 or 12 years ago we were able to keep our core crew working, it was tough but we survived. Every day there were guys coming in the office looking for work, felt bad we couldn't hire some of them. There is a shakeout every so often when things get overheated and a lot of contractors that shouldn't be in business are forced out.

Slayer, 1UPPER, Twinky and 1 other person like this.
  4. Mar 27, 2019 at 8:16 AM
    Danman34

Danman34 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra TRD Sport
    I am a project manager for one of the larger self performing heavy civil commercial construction company’s in my area.

My bachelors is in biochemistry and I have an associates in industrial technology. I use to work in refineries. Started at the contractor level and was later a process operator for the company. I was making mid 6 figures in my mid 20s. But I was becoming burnt out by 29. I quit plant life 5 years ago and started as a laborer with the company I am with now. I worked my way through each rank. Laborer. Foreman. Superintendent. Assistant PM and now PM.

I actually planned on going back to school for construction management but my boss told me he would rather me work and learn in the field than go sit in a classroom. He said the lack of an additional degree will not prevent me from achieving anything in this company.

So here I am, now a full fledged project manager in an industry riddled with college kids with “construction management” degrees coming out of school expecting to be a PM with no actual hands on experience. It’s just not going to happen. Being hands on and learning the trade is more vital to the business. Obviously you still need to understand financials in my position, which I had to learn on the way. But it’s part of the responsibility. I now run 11 active projects ranging from 1.2M to 10m.

Slayer, rons23, 1UPPER and 7 others like this.
  5. Mar 27, 2019 at 8:25 AM
    TrooperDC4x4

TrooperDC4x4 New Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2017 BBP Double Cab 5.7L TRD 4X4 OR
    Bilstein 5100 2.5", 1.5"
    Danny,
    Good point. I started in construction as a laborer and worked my way up to management. Many of the young people we have hired think they should start at the top running projects without a clue as to what they are doing. Many end up quiting because they don't want to put the time in learning at a lower pay scale, not understanding entitlement is not given but achieved through hard work.

6. Mar 27, 2019 at 8:29 AM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Isn't it mandatory that you drive a Ford if you work in construction?

:crapstorm:

Slayer, Twinky, T-Rex266 and 7 others like this.
  7. Mar 27, 2019 at 8:51 AM
    Danman34

Danman34 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    Been there, dealt with that. Most come in and get put in the field and think because they have a degree they shouldn’t have to put on rubber boots and wake up at 2 am so they can be there for 3 am to pull mud (concrete) for a big pour. Or just be there in general to see how the work gets put in place. You can’t expect to understand how to build the job from a management standpoint if you don’t understand how it gets put in place.

I’m not old by any means. I just made 35, so it took some time to earn the respect from some of the older guys. I grew up in a construction family. So I guess it’s in my blood.

But, because of my education and experience, HR felt I would be vital as a part of the hiring committee for all positions from the PM level down. Which I am glad to do because it only helps us become better as a business.

There is so much to do in construction industry. The only limitation is yourself and what you’re willing to put up with for what you want out of it haha.

Slayer and Twinky like this.
  8. Mar 27, 2019 at 8:56 AM
    Ps3udonymous

Member:
    This is what I've been looking at recently. Currently, I am a project manager (without the title, but most of the responsibilities) in the air force. I've been doing it for roughly 6 years. I want to get more education doing it to add on to my work experience. But reading how you were encouraged to get more real world experience leads me to why I made the post.

Basically, I don't want to waste time in a classroom if I don't have to.

Danman34[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Mar 27, 2019 at 8:57 AM
    Ps3udonymous

Member:
    God I hope not...cause I need to find the career for mandatory tundra owners...

10. Mar 27, 2019 at 9:00 AM
    Ps3udonymous

Member:
    I agree completely. Very few can manage if they don't understand all the trades, and processes that combine to actually make it a project.

11. Mar 27, 2019 at 9:05 AM
    Ps3udonymous

Member:
    Plumbing is my main job. Along with water treatment, wastewater treatment, natural gas distribution, aviation fueling systems, water distribution, fire suppression. My career field is pretty diverse.

12. Mar 27, 2019 at 9:06 AM
    Racingjohndeere55

Racingjohndeere55 New Member

Member:
    After finishing high school I landed a job in building construction mainly insulation and roofing. From there I went to welding school and had a couple different jobs welding. I also became interested in driving truck.

I am not managment material. Been a supervisor and I just don't like it. I have a hard time properly motivating people to do their job.

Now I work for a small construction co. He has 3 trucks and runs about another 15 independents . I enjoy what I do, which isn't much. I show up on time, do my job without argument and go home. As of now the boss told me we got in with the contractor that has the interstate 81 job between Wilkes-barre and Scranton. Should be a couple years work.

I am very blessed that I was able to learn from my grandfather and father. From plumbing to electrical to wood working. My wife is amazed that she can show me a picture of something and I can go out in my shop and make it. From a small project for her Sunday school lesson to making kitchen cabinets. I may not be college educated (nothing against it) but I feel that I have done pretty good on this earth.

Now my wife on the other hand. She started as an entry level call taker in a call center and worked her way up to Director of quality. Has won a presidents award. That's why I can afford to drive a dump truck:bananadance:

Slayer, blizz86, 1UPPER and 5 others like this.
  13. Mar 27, 2019 at 9:09 AM
    Marty McFly

Marty McFly Nobody calls me chicken!! Except when off roading

Member:
    First Name:
    Morty McBoonJug
    McBoonJug = McDonald’s and Moonshine in a Jug
    Vehicle:
    2016 StormTrooper Tundra CrewMax TRD PRO
    I wouldn’t completely disregard an education. I think having both experience as well as fundamental knowledge gives you an advantage to people with just one or the other.

14. Mar 27, 2019 at 10:07 AM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    I’m not in construction, but I’ve worked in operations and held plenty of jobs as a laborer even with my MBA.

Experience will trump a degree in trade jobs and most other industries. I’d say if you’re willing and able, you’re most likely going to have to spend time in the trenches.

15. Mar 27, 2019 at 10:17 AM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    Absolutely spot on.

Shit, I have an MBA and can’t stand being behind a desk (found that out after getting my degree go figure) and took a couple jobs in operations and maintenance where I learned a ton. Doing that has afforded me to get in good with getting in a partnership in a sandblasting and painting company. Using my hands on skills with my education to run numbers. Still getting the wheels turning, but using this time to learn the ropes and techniques.
    Like you said, having both is fundamental. My wife loves having a guy with a graduate degree that knows how to do plumbing or can troubleshoot what’s wrong with our dishwasher.

16. Mar 27, 2019 at 10:38 AM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:

haha..so true. All industries are similar.

Law323 and Marty McFly like this.
  17. Mar 27, 2019 at 10:49 AM
    Njmike13

Njmike13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Hunterdon county, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2021 PRO Lunar Rock
    You should also consider the safety field. I worked full time EMS job and electrical and general construction on my days off. I decided to make a change and took a safety / training job at a large wastewater treatment plant 5 years ago. The pay is good, I don't mind teaching and the compliance part of the job isn't bad ether.

18. Mar 27, 2019 at 12:06 PM
    Ps3udonymous

Member:
    The safety side isn't bad. I haven't considered it as much as maybe I should have. I'll look into it, thank you.

Njmike13[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Mar 27, 2019 at 12:15 PM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    The thing to remember about being the safety guy is that you'll never have any friends on the job site. If you want to be buddies with the tradesmen and go for beers after work, being a safety guy isnt for you.

Speaking from experience as I'm on our joint health and safety committee and I'm the shop's lead first aid attendant on top of being a welder and working side by side with the guys on the floor.

Slayer and Twinky like this.
  20. Mar 27, 2019 at 12:18 PM
    Ps3udonymous

Member:
    Oh absolutely, it's always a mixture of cussing and booing when the safety guys come out to a job site. Usually, when we see them coming we shut everything down till they leave

Black Wolf and Outbound[QUOTED] like this.
  21. Mar 27, 2019 at 1:11 PM
    Danman34

Danman34 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    Totally agree. I am def pro education but still believe that higher education isn’t for everybody. But having my degrees has definitely provided the foundation needed escalate my path to be in upper management. I love my job and that makes it even better. My coworkers are also like my family. The Godfather to my 5 month old is a guy I met 5 years ago when I started here and were literally brothers from another mother at this point lol.

Marty McFly[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Mar 27, 2019 at 1:23 PM
    Vince

Vince New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Terre du lac, Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2011 White DBL cab 5.7
    K&N intake, Air bags
    Railroad good retirement.

Plastic welding would be a good one.

23. Mar 27, 2019 at 5:41 PM
    YardBird

YardBird Native San Diegan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonesy
    Vehicle:
    2005 RCLB
    American Thunder Cat Back ~ Retrax Pro ~ Toyota Bed Mat ~ OEM Split Spoke Wheels
    My brother and I both worked in the building trades ~ I retired as a sheet metal worker, he was a cabinet maker by trade. At some point he was offered an opportunity to work with a local school district and took the job. I wish I had done the same thing. Private sector jobs look really appealing monetarily but the big institutions offer lots better benefit and retirement packages. The ultimate in the building trades is going into business for yourself if you're cut out for that sort of thing. However, if you're going to work for someone else it may as well be a public institution. They offer good job security, excellent benefits and a nice retirement ~ something rarely found in the private sector.

Slayer likes this.
  24. Mar 27, 2019 at 5:44 PM
    nowayout

nowayout New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    NY
    Vehicle:
    17 CM
    I keep struggling with this same issue you speak of @YardBird I work private and make over 100k but all the public works jobs are low 40's. That a hard pill to swallow especially when you might not be around to enjoy the ending of it all.

YardBird likes this.
  25. Mar 27, 2019 at 5:46 PM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADIN',RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Your railroad?

26. Mar 27, 2019 at 5:46 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    Guess the national average is different than CA. Here in California the average government position makes more pay than it’s private counterpart PLUS benefits and retirement.

YardBird likes this.
  27. Mar 27, 2019 at 5:47 PM
    Vince

Vince New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Terre du lac, Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2011 White DBL cab 5.7
    K&N intake, Air bags
    ARamirez73

Yes sir
    Union Pacific

TXRailRoadBandit73 likes this.
  28. Mar 27, 2019 at 5:48 PM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADIN',RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Same here! Tie South

Vince[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Mar 27, 2019 at 7:19 PM
    Vince

Vince New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Terre du lac, Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2011 White DBL cab 5.7
    K&N intake, Air bags
    Lol no crap

What gang
    I went to bridge north little over a year ago whice sounds like we might be bridge south after all the restructuring going on.

30. Mar 27, 2019 at 7:31 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:

Products Discussed in

To Top