1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Considering ordering new TRD - how long's the wait?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen TRD Pro (2014-2021)' started by Shamrock92, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Jan 21, 2021 at 6:32 PM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 [OP] New Member

Member:
    So find myself in the position of looking to upgrade my personal vehicle.

Originally considered last year, then COVID and a few things convinced me to wait. Unfortunately; one of those personal things didn't go well and I lost my mother New Years Eve.

So now I find myself in a position of having to pay off her personal vehicle (not something I would ever drive) and thought I might as well use it as a sales tax exception on my new truck versus paying it off and just reselling.

My question is - whats the lead time like on ordering a new Tundra? Likely a TRD Pro or Platinum. Much prefer the TRD Pro as I WANT a DC (dont need the space of a CM) and used I can find nothing but CMs asking more than a new DC sticker. Of course, you can actually get a platinum for under sticker price too it seems....TRD not so much.

Just curious as to how long a wait I might be in for if I decide to pull the trigger soon. Weeks. Months or ??

2. Jan 21, 2021 at 6:36 PM
    Kayaking Tundra

Kayaking Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Toyota Tundra TRD PRO
    A limited was 6 weeks minimum for the one I ordered... cancelled it and bought a 2109 used TRD PRO. Best upgrade ever.

3. Jan 21, 2021 at 8:21 PM
    baron

baron New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    I placed a deposit for a PRO allocation through a high volume/large market dealer about 8 weeks ago. I learned today that I received the allocation and my build date is end of March with a mid-April delivery. So, if this tracks on the current path, it will be damn near 5 months said and done. Good thing I'm in no rush.

You may have better luck finding a DC on a lot or in transit as those tend to not sell as fast as the CM. I would start blanketing dealerships in and around your area with emails and see who can get it done. The market is an absolute mess at the current moment.

4. Jan 22, 2021 at 2:25 AM
    TheBubbaDude

TheBubbaDude New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Pro
    AJT Blackout Kit 1.25" Wheel Spacers NRG 285/70/18 Meso Customs TRD Start Button
    I used Car Gurus to find my 2020. You're going to deal with a lot of BS but you can do a nationwide search down to color. I wanted a white TRD Pro and managed to find dealers in about 8 different states that were willing to ship to me. It isn't an ironclad solution, but it would be a great start.

5. Jan 22, 2021 at 6:06 AM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD OFFROAD
    Coach Builder 1 inch lift strut spacers Coach Builder 1 inch shackles TRD Sway Bar Diode Dynamics SS
    A close friend of mine just ordered a DC TRD Offroad and it’s due in March. So about an 8 week wait. He had it built from the factory because no other dealers even had one to trade. My buddy isn’t picky about color at all. But since they could not find any, he just ordered the Cavalry blue.

I heard a lot of people mention the DC are easier to acquire. They are definitely less popular than the CM but the dealerships that I frequent can’t keep anything on the lot for more than a week Tundra wise. And in my area it seems the DC are gone first and the quickest. Those CM are nice inside but I cringed a lot with my 2nd gen Tacoma short bed...

6. Jan 22, 2021 at 8:11 AM
    TheBubbaDude

TheBubbaDude New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Pro
    AJT Blackout Kit 1.25" Wheel Spacers NRG 285/70/18 Meso Customs TRD Start Button
    azTony[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jan 22, 2021 at 8:16 AM
    JBBRT2

JBBRT2 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    4 MONTHS.
    I put a deposit on CM metallic gray 2021 pro on September 15, 2020 and was allocated with "build-date" December 9, 2020. Just got it last Friday Jan 15. MSRP plus delivery (no mark-up)

bulldog93 likes this.
  8. Jan 22, 2021 at 8:27 AM
    RainMan_PNW

RainMan_PNW SSEM #82 RGBA #4 “That Guy” Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro CM
    Check the build link in my signature.
    There's also the fact that they don't make a lot of DC TRD Pros. Everything I've ever read says Toyota doesn't "factory order" - the production numbers are set for cab/color/trim at the start of the MY and you're just hopping on a spot in line for when that combo comes through the line...if there is still one left of that combination not built.

As for popularity - DC's seem to be on par with CMs around here. I'm sitting at the dealer right now (getting service) and in a walk on the lot they have 4 DC's and 2 CM's that are new (all are SR5, and all but one of the CM are TRD OR). That's it...plus a used '19 Platinum and a used '17 DC TRD OR. Availability is slim and demand is high. Someone posted recently in the Lunar Rock thread a dealer in the SE asking $72k for a Lunar Rock Pro. Best of luck.

sunnysideTRD and Oey12 like this.
  9. Jan 22, 2021 at 8:53 AM
    sunnysideTRD

sunnysideTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Pro Voodoo Blue
    Standard 2019 TRD Pro but will be a project car and add as I go
    I think the 2021 PRO's will be a longer wait than usual. There is a shortage of CPU's for all the auto OEM's and production forecasts have been reduced. But I would get in ASAP on the deposits if this is the route you want to go. On a side note, I used Costco Auto and got mine for $2500 below MSRP. Good Luck.

Pitbull410 likes this.
  10. Jan 22, 2021 at 2:34 PM
    azTony

azTony member since sept, 2017 and over 1,600 messages

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Sun Lakes, AZ
    Vehicle:
    *** OV Tune Order #4481 *** ECU 0CN21 ***
    2018 Tundra Platinum with Icon Stage 9 w/3.0 and billet UCA, Harrop Elockers, 5.29 on 37’s
    Well crap! My bad and thanks for the reply, I deleted it so no confusion... like mine

11. Jan 22, 2021 at 2:49 PM
    tttrdpro

tttrdpro Former Naval Person

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    SWGA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Super White TRD Pro
    In progress…
    I ordered a ‘21 Pro Aug. 22 and took possession Dec. 18.

12. Feb 16, 2021 at 10:47 PM
    21Gunny41

21Gunny41 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    21' MGM TRD Pro
    Westcott front, CB +3 rear, 35x12.50 Nitto RG

Like RainMan said above; you aren't just able to order from the factory. The numbers are set at the beginning of the year. If your dealership will order for you they are putting in a request for a trim level with a certain body style. If there are allocations available your accessories will be added when the number comes up. I learned this over the last week when I dropped a deposit on a 21' TRD Pro. From what i was told i am looking at least 90 days for delivery, at the earliest. It actually sounds more like it will be 90 days before my allocation gets pushed through to add accessories (rear USB ports, interior LED, etc.). I got hit at full MSRP. I'm in Ga and in Alabama they were asking a little over depending on the location. If you do a search within a couple hundred miles you might find a dealership that has one you like and you can get it. Dealers aren't allowing exchanges for a Pro without getting one in return because they are able to hold more gross and there is a limited run on Pro's for 2021. That and there aren't many more left to reserve. Good luck to you.

13. Feb 16, 2021 at 10:59 PM
    Tundra805

Tundra805 Quality. Durability. Reliability.

Member:
    Southern, CA
    Vehicle:
    2020 CrewMax SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7 Cement
    OP, sorry for the loss of your mother, that is rough. I hope you find the solution for your Tundra.

BIOHZRD and CreekDweller like this.
  14. Feb 17, 2021 at 8:08 AM
    RusPro21

RusPro21 Pro is gone! But I’m still here.

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    2021 Pro!! Nitto’s Tyger blades, Arc audio!
    Put a deposit down yesterday for 2021 Luna rock pro. I’m locked in for that Pro. Sometime end of April. Built date is Mar 29. April is just a estimate but I’m ok if it longer.

15. Feb 17, 2021 at 12:09 PM
    Yooper

Yooper New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro
    Is anybody getting anything below MSRP when committing to a build? I've reached out to a few dealers the last few days and all are willing to order but none have got back to me on an on the road price yet.

16. Feb 17, 2021 at 12:30 PM
    baron

baron New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    I was told $500 off when I ordered at the end of Nov. I'll see if that actually happens when it shows up, but I'm also fine paying MSRP. Given demand and shortages, this seems to be a MSRP or worse market.

17. Feb 17, 2021 at 2:12 PM
    Shamrock92

Member:
    Regarding ordering/allocation...I'm quite familiar with the allocation process/franchise dealers - and whoever is telling you there's a set number of each model available to a dealer and that number is inflexible is just wrong.

Yes, high demand/low production vehicles it can be hard to get anything above your initial allocation. But to simply it by stating in August the maker tells you that you can order x number of each trim - no more, is just wrong for a production vehicle.

Allocations are made and then updated constantly as demand/supply chain allows...if Toyota were expecting higher sales and the demand dropped - they would re allocate units to dealers who wanted more. Likewise; if a dealer is doing well on all fronts - high CSI, good sales and overall out performing peers- you can bet damn well they get "rewarded" with higher allocations.

That doesn't any include the politicking between franchises/stores over units and the fact that alot more dealers are part of larger groups- so its not as if your local lot gets a couple of any one model...the allocation is to the parent group- who may put 8 in one location and 0 in 4 others vs 2 apiece.

Swaps are very common - I need a TRD Tundra, maybe I have to give up something to someone else or it might be I take on 2 1794s minimum allocations to their store that aren't selling to get their TRD. Its a big game with alot of pieces at play.

18. Feb 17, 2021 at 2:16 PM
    Shamrock92

Member:
    If your not getting below MSRP - your not shopping the right places, at least in the US.

There are shortages/longer delivery times...but Toyota ain't the only maker of vehicles.

Dealers are still fighting for business. I was told holdbacks are thin...but 500-1k is possible on TRD Pro. SR5 is more like 3500-4k...in Ohio i believe there is also an advertised 1k customer cash - might be 2k again now

19. Feb 18, 2021 at 4:43 AM
    Yooper

Yooper New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro
    That's what I was thinking as well. I'm getting back on the horn today and making more calls. Can always play the wait and see game with what's left over near the end of the year I suppose.

20. Feb 18, 2021 at 4:52 AM
    TundraMcGov.

TundraMcGov. Your friend. Your foe. Not yo Ho.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jofus
    Burpinham, Babalama
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White DC 4X4 Tundra
    How common are swaps? In 1992 I waited over 9 months to get a black Celica GT-S. And in the end I had to get a "swap" one (I was living in Portland/Seattle and got a Chicago bound one).

21. Feb 18, 2021 at 9:43 AM
    Downytide

Downytide New Member

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock with trail boxes
    Very often, I've seen swap was done within 2 days between dealers.

22. Feb 18, 2021 at 9:49 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    When I was looking for my truck they told met that there are dealers that they have agreements / working relationships with that they can swap within a day, and outside that circle they can still do it but it might take several days - they have to do some internal paperwork first before they can agree to do business. The paperwork required is a blanket agreement between the dealers and then the individual vehicle's transfer.

23. Feb 19, 2021 at 7:14 AM
    Panerai

Panerai New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Pro
    I got my 2021 Pro within a week.. I called about 20 dealers in Ontario to find one that had it. Got lucky, and even got $1000 off MSRP

Jlpiukala likes this.
  24. Feb 21, 2021 at 1:33 PM
    Browneye14

Browneye14 New Member

Member:
    Just ordered mine and will take a month to get here. Georgia.

25. Feb 23, 2021 at 7:41 AM
    Newey

Newey New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro, 2016 Tundra TRD CM, 2010 Tundra SR5
    I put deposit down on January 3rd. Received a call from my dealer first week of February that it was " approved ". Just got another call from dealer that build date is 2/24, and should have vehicle mid march.

baron likes this.
  26. Feb 23, 2021 at 7:44 AM
    Shamrock92

Member:
    Going looking today- talking to a small dealer first...just to feel out what they can do.

Also found 2 used within 100 miles...a '19 CM and a '20 CM

19 is cheap - but not my first choice of color
    20 is kinda high...but color is my pick.

Still might be more tempted to do a new DC if possible - even at sticker price....its about in line with the '20 used.

Anything I should be aware of that changed between '19 and '21 on the pro?

27. Feb 23, 2021 at 8:11 AM
    RainMan_PNW

RainMan_PNW SSEM #82 RGBA #4 “That Guy” Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro CM
    Check the build link in my signature.
    The '19 Pro is still based on the SR5 trim. No heated seats, no dual-zone AC, urethane steering wheel, etc. The '20 and '21 are based off the Limited trim, so you are getting the base options of a Limited in addition to the Pro features. Not that I'd use it as a deciding factor, but '20 and '21 get you CarPlay/Android Auto in the stock head unit. You also get push button start and smart keyless entry on the '20/'21. I'm not sure what year they put the full LED headlights in the Pro - if that was '19 or '20.

28. Feb 23, 2021 at 10:41 AM
    Shamrock92

Member:
    Thanks, good info and explains why the 19 is so much cheaper.

Just left the dealership - they seemed less than interested in helping - so it was a short visit. Might try to hot up Chevy today too - just to see all brands in same day.

Place I went to was small and out of the way...I picked them for a reason. Basically if I didn't like them - never have reason to go back, but if they were good I can just say what I want/what I'll pay and you can do it or pass.

What gets me is I made an appointment- and salesperson is busy....no big deal, it happens...you know what time I'm coming but you get foot traffic and you can't say no to them...simply say thanks for coming- hand me off to a junior sales person and then split the deal if I buy. Not tell me to gave a seat and leave me waiting....

Anyway - I got what I wanted...a chance to look at a higher trim Tundra (and a taco and even a Ram). More than anything it steered me back to a Tundra...Taco cab is too small...Ram interior is nice - but sticker shock seriously (i know they discount- but still steep pricing).

RainMan_PNW likes this.
  29. Feb 23, 2021 at 12:52 PM
    baron

baron New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    Man, this shit makes me want to scream lol. My deposit went in 11/28, build is late March, and delivery is now shown as end of April. This is really testing the limits of my patience. I wish my dealer worked like yours did or maybe it's all just random. Either way, congrats on the "quick" process.

Newey[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. Feb 23, 2021 at 12:57 PM
    Newey

Newey New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro, 2016 Tundra TRD CM, 2010 Tundra SR5
    I was originally told 12-16 wks, we'll see when it actually arrives

Products Discussed in

To Top