1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Considering Drain & Fill Tranny Fluid on 2007

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Trooper2, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Apr 9, 2018 at 1:16 PM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 [OP] Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    Newly acquired Tundra with 130k miles, unknown history of Tranny srrvice. Truck seems to be well taken care of.

Concern: plan on using WS, if there is something else in there would it be an issue? Or is it unlikely other than WS.
    There are no shifting issues, just lke to be proactive.

Les7311 likes this.
  2. Apr 9, 2018 at 2:08 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I would do a couple series of drain and fills, but one should be fine. This service cost me 199.00 at my local Toyota dealership. If you know anything about me, I'm a shade tree mechanic, and I still paid to have this service done correctly. These transmissions cost way more than what I want to spend on an oops....

I have no comment on the WS fluid. I use it. It isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread like Toyota makes it out to be.

3. Apr 9, 2018 at 8:27 PM
    Trooper2

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    Thanks, I may call around for some pricing.

4. Apr 15, 2018 at 5:08 AM
    fixnfly

fixnfly New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab 5.7
    I just replaced my fluid last winter. Removed the pan to clean the magnets and find out what filter I had since there are at least 2 different filters for our trucks. I replaced the fluid with WS. The pan gasket is reusable but I found a new fel-pro gasket for $20. Toyota wanted $49.

5. Apr 15, 2018 at 5:23 AM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADIN',RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    @ColoradoTJ what about me for my 2014 with 53000 miles, not a daily driver no towing or hauling, front rear ends?

6. Apr 15, 2018 at 6:26 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    If I owned your BA ride, the trans fluid would be serviced at 60k at a minimum. Regardless of not towing, you do have a lift with bigger tires that adds stress to the drivetrain.

The diffs were serviced every 30k in my truck due to the use I put mine through.

One of my old friends that was a transmission repair shop owner for almost 40 years before his passing gave me this advise that I will share with you all about “the business” of transmissions.

- Transmissions are serviced, not flushed. Toilets are for flushing. In other words, he was a huge champion for drain and fills, filter swaps (servicing) every 20k or 1 year, which ever comes first.

Do I think this is excessive for a Tundra? Yes. Did my WS transmission fluid look dark at 60k? Yep. I wish that I had did a drain and fill at 30k, and every 30k after that. I made a few mistakes with my old Tundra, and would do it differently if owning another.

- Flushing machines. Tim was approached by different sales associates for different machines. Some would use a series of ultra fine filters and would pump the fluid that came out of the transmission right back into the vehicle. Yeah, the fluid is filtered and cleaned, but what about the additive properties? What happens when the machine is hooked up wrong? Can this damage the valve body and solenoids? Hell yes it can. There are proper flushing machines available, but these units are not cheap. When hooking up the machine, are you sure all lines are flushed with the proper transmission fluid? Food for thought.

- He was always a big fan of external cooling for transmission fluid. Some vehicles use engine coolant for cooling/heating that keeps the trans between 180-210*F. What happens on hot days and heavy work/pulling? Transmission temps can rise up to 250* F pretty easy, which in turn raises the engine coolant temp, and works the engine/coolant systems hard. If I remember correctly, on our Tundra transmissions, the external cooler isn’t even used until 250*F. That’s getting pretty flippen hot.

- Power adders (he was a diesel junky) are stock transmission killers. If someone experiences the “transmission shudder or slipping”, the transmission is already damaged to some extent. Continued slipping will cause a transmission early demise in a very short period of time.

Now the Tundra was designed with the SC as an option through TRD. It can handle that power increase with ease. He was more so talking about diesel trucks that make 400hp/800 lb ft tq factory and then some person installing a programmer adding 200hp/250+ lb ft tq and abusing the truck. The transmissions were not designed with that power and no torque management.

Right now on my current truck, I have gone back to the service transmission every 25k miles. It costs me ~100.00 to do myself. Cheap insurance for long life. Modern automatic transmissions are not cheap.

7. Apr 15, 2018 at 6:34 AM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Thank you Chris! Much appreciated on the great info! Looks like time to schedule an appointment, do you recommend a reputable transmission shop or stealership?

Trooper2[OP] likes this.
  8. Apr 15, 2018 at 6:37 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I would do some research if using someone other than the dealership, asking the correct questions on their process.

fixnfly and TXRailRoadBandit73 like this.
  9. Apr 15, 2018 at 6:43 AM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Thanks again

10. Apr 15, 2018 at 8:19 AM
    Trooper2

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    Did you measure fluid taken out or just use overflow when refilling?

11. Apr 15, 2018 at 1:03 PM
    fixnfly

fixnfly New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab 5.7
    I just used the overflow.
    I have a printout of the factory service manual instructions that stated that a drain/refill should only use 2.9 quarts. Wrong!
    It took almost 6 quarts to get the trickle from the overflow. Measuring the drained fluid is a good starting point.

Trooper2[QUOTED][OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top