1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Considering buying a new tundra

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jmarquise, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Feb 18, 2017 at 7:25 PM
    jmarquise

jmarquise [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello out there. I am considering buying a tundra, and I would like to ask a couple of questions. I went to two dealerships today, and both had a TRD pro in the cement color on the lot. The first dealer said the pro was sold within 5 minutes of getting off the truck. The second dealer tried to sell me the pro for $3000 over MSRP, and I wasn't having it. So now I am weighing my options. I finally took a limited for a test drive tonight, and was pretty impressed. Here are a couple of questions for anyone who cares to answer.

1. How are the cloth seats in the SR5? Most of my driving for work is long distance, and I can't stand uncomfortable seats.
    2. Is the SR5 pretty well equipped? My car right now is pretty new and loaded up. I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need things like leather and heated seats.
    3. Is it possible to get an SR5 with a sunroof, or does that only become an option when you upgrade to the limited trim?

Any information you could share is appreciated.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  2. Feb 18, 2017 at 7:36 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Welcome to the forum. I'll try and answer some of your questions.

Might look into ordering a Pro or limited if you don't like price gouging. The Pro's sell themselves, so not a lot of wiggle room.

1) they are ok, but if comfort is the big concern, go with a limited. You can also get the Katskin leather seat covers.

2) The SR 5 isn't bad (I had a 12), but if I could go back in time, the Limited would have been in my driveway.

3) no.

3. Feb 18, 2017 at 7:42 PM
    Otaku4life69

Otaku4life69 Welcome to the Dark Side.

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Bay Area CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black SR5 CM
    Pro Comp 7" lift, King Shocks. Moto Metal 961's, 37" Pro Comp Xtreme MT2's, Custom Leather seats, Corsa Exhaust
    Do a ton of research and then make your decision. I just bought an SR5 CM last Saturday. I'm glad the dealer installed custom heated leather seats.I never cared for Toyota cloth seats. Check out my thread to see it. You can only get a moonroof starting with the Limited package. It all depends on your wants and needs. The SR5 has plenty of features. It doesn't have all the extra safety stuff like blind spot monitoring,Bumper sonar etc. Good hunting.

jmarquise[OP] and Bob like this.
  4. Feb 18, 2017 at 8:29 PM
    040Tundra

040Tundra Teddy 2013-2019

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    040 '16 CM LTD 4x4
    A little of this and a little of that.
    It sounds like you spend a considerable amount of time in your vehicle. Go with the limited. Why buy something that isn't really what you want?

jmarquise[OP] likes this.
  5. Feb 18, 2017 at 8:46 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    If you end up getting an SR5, make sure you get the upgrade package to get the 38 gallon tank. That'll include homelink, power drivers seat, telescoping wheel, center console with floor shifter, and a couple other things. And if you really want leather, you can get aftermarket Katzkins. They're pretty nice and costs $1000-1200. Only other options are the TRD package and the safety and convenience package.

6. Feb 18, 2017 at 10:50 PM
    jmarquise

Member:
    Thanks for the replies thus far. A couple of other questions.
    1. Is there more sound dampening in the higher trims like the limited as opposed to the SR5?
    2. Does the TRD off road package offer a much better ride? The reason I ask is because there was a limited inferno that I liked, but it didn't have the TRD off road package, and the dealer said you couldn't add it after the fact.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  7. Feb 18, 2017 at 10:56 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    The best ride by far is the Pro if we are talking factory suspensions only.

The sound dampening, no. The Tundra is a little more noisy than some of the competitors. I have seen threads of people using a sheet of sound deadening material with great results.

My Lexus IS350 is just pretty noisy inside on certain roads (old asphalt that is pitted is the worst). It sounds more noisy than my Corvette did, and that is surprising since the Lexus is a sports sedan.

8. Feb 18, 2017 at 11:03 PM
    jmarquise

Member:
    Thanks ColoradoTJ. I will probably give the TRD pro another try, but it seems to be a huge pain in the butt trying to get your hands on one. I honestly don't plan on doing any off roading, so the pro would probably just be a waste of money. Especially considering that they offer all of the aftermarket gear to make any tundra look like a pro.

9. Feb 19, 2017 at 3:49 AM
    Fishin1981

Fishin1981 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 tundra limited crewmax
    Pop and lock, esp storage, access lorado, front tints
    Either way you won't be disappointed. It is nice having the sunroof open with the rear window down too

T-Rex266 and jmarquise[OP] like this.
  10. Feb 19, 2017 at 8:10 AM
    Achuop

Achuop Stormtrooper 5.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Crew Max TRD 4x4
    TRD Pro grill, Magna Flow Exhaust, 3/2 leveling kit, TRD sway bar, black out emblems, Bakflip G2 cover, 20” ProComp wheels and Tires and lots of love and affection.
    The cloth seat in my experience gets dirty too easily and hard to clean. Make sure you get automatic seats!! It sucks adjusting the seat manually. I can never get them to my liking! Lol

11. Feb 19, 2017 at 8:32 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    Unless Toyota has figured out the rear bumper issue, an SR5 may be all you can drive home right now. If the truck has metal rear bumper ends (SR5) it's fine. But, if it has plastic rear bumper corners you may not be able to to drive it home 'til the issue is resolved. That said, I don't think the TRD offroad package offers much, well, mainly 'cause I modified my suspension and took the stickers off, IDK what else it provides. Pros are nice but I like my limited. My last 2 Tundras were SR5 and I always wished I'd upgraded.

Products Discussed in

To Top