1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Considering a career change, any cdl drivers in here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Wahayes, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Sep 20, 2022 at 4:55 PM
    ScenicRoute

ScenicRoute New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra CM Nightshade
    Eibach stage 2, SmartCap, Ride Rite, Bora spacers, 35” rugged ridge tires.
    I have to wonder how the eldt requirement is affecting companies trying to hire drivers.

2. Sep 20, 2022 at 5:56 PM
    TheBrit

TheBrit Wrinkly member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab Tundra 2WD stuckinthemud
    I got my UK equivalent of a CDL (Class 1 HGV) when I was in my young 20's and did a few years as the equivalent of a UPS courier and as a plant hauler (not sure what you'd call it in the US, shifting excavators, backhoe's and other construction equipment). Customer interaction was limited enough to not get people overload, courier multi drop was the most strenuous work I've ever done and kept me really fit but it's not something anyone wants to get into after turning 40, loading and unloading construction kit was great fun - you haven't lived until you've had a 3T double drum road roller slide sideways and off wet steel ramps! :eek2:
    BUT the driving part, when one wasn't trying to mitigate the actions of asshole car drivers, was mind-numbingly, interminably boring, fair play to those who are happy with little more company than the radio and their own thoughts but it drove me nuts...and I can think of nothing better than working by myself but idle hands etc...

texasrho83 likes this.
  3. Sep 20, 2022 at 7:07 PM
    Wahayes

Wahayes [OP] Older I get the wiser I realize my dad was

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    2017 tundra limited
    325/60r20 falken at3w, 2.25 dobinsons ,20x9 +20 fuel torque wheels, leer xr100, bmc
    After dealing with the banking world idiots both employees and customers for 16 years, it will be a welcome change. I don't want to talk to anyone lol

texasrho83 likes this.
  4. Sep 20, 2022 at 7:34 PM
    snoope

snoope New Member

Member:
    Welcome to your worst nightmare then....:rolleyes: Not really , there is BS in every profession..o_O I am Semi-retired from it after 43 years ...Just renewed my CDL A after passing my latest DOT... :hattip:

BUT beware our great US Congress is now re-thinking the ELDT ;

Latest update from www.truckersnews.com has small companies with under 9 CDL drivers exempt and have also increased the "exemption list" adding more onto it..

Like all have said , Driving can be a career or a plain job... you choose how that works....:hattip:

5. Sep 21, 2022 at 7:36 AM
    Wahayes

Wahayes [OP] Older I get the wiser I realize my dad was

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    2017 tundra limited
    325/60r20 falken at3w, 2.25 dobinsons ,20x9 +20 fuel torque wheels, leer xr100, bmc
    Luckily that eldt law change wouldn't apply to me. If everything goes to plan I'll be going to a large company but they're not primarily a "trucking company" they just happen to have a company need for drivers which from my understanding of the Industry is the kind of place to be to get treated best.

snoope likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top