1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Considering a 2016, any thoughts?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Jesse D, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Jul 18, 2016 at 6:38 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    A lot of F150 owners actually get 25-28 mpg's. Well... if you combine their truck with the Ford Focus loaner or the KIA rental they're in half the time. If mpg is really important to you, get an F150. If your time and stress level is more important, Tundra all the way. I had a lot of sleepless nights when I had my F150. And don't forget resale value alone makes up for the gas bill.

14tundra, 831Tun, Wrongside and 2 others like this.
  2. Jul 18, 2016 at 8:03 PM
    Sierra_Nevada

Sierra_Nevada New Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2020 Magnetic Gray Platinum
    TRD Pro Fox Suspension, SCS Ray 10 Wheels, BFG KO2 275/70 R18
    I traded in a 2013 4X4 F150 Ecoboost on a new 5.7 4X4 Tundra two weeks ago. The Ecoboost's MPG is not nearly as good as the stickers claim. I had the differential that was supposed to get better mileage and I averaged 16-17 on the highway, 15.5 mixed, and 12 towing 4000 lbs. That truck rarely broke into the 18 MPGs, except when going downhill with a tailwind. I asked the Ford service department what my truck's issue was and he said most of the trucks are getting around the same as mine and the stickers are wrong. I've heard of a few people getting low 20's out of the Ecos, but I'm skeptical of their stories. I have around 1200 miles on the Tundra and am already beating my Ecos MPG. I took a 400 mile trip and averaged 18.1. My overall mixed average in it is 16.7 and I've been a little heavy in the pedal. Bottom Line- the mileage difference between the trucks is negligible, Toyota saves you money for the first couple of years because maintenance is covered, and hopefully it will be in the shop less often. The Eco went to the shop 3 times in the 40K miles, which wasn't too bad because it was all covered under warranty, but that is three days I could've spent doing something else.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  3. Jul 18, 2016 at 9:32 PM
    Noodle

Noodle That Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Files creek
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Limited TRD DC Inferno
    I've had my Tundra about 2.5 months it's a Limited double cab w 5.7. I average 14.5 around town and 17.5 on the highway. Like others have said I didn't buy it for fuel mileage.

4. Oct 31, 2016 at 2:03 PM
    Jesse D

Jesse D [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey all, OP here, sorry I disappeared. bunch of stuff happened and I kind of lost track of things. The original deal I had with GM fell apart but has since been redone. The paperwork has been submitted and heres whats going to happen. They will not give me a refund, I am being forced to take a new GM truck. I have selected a 2017 GMC Sierra Denali with their 6.2L V8 engine. I was talking with the shop foreman and he confirmed that the new trucks have the same issues that my 2015 Silverado. I have test driven a bunch, and this truck is the best of the bunch. the problems definitely aren't fixed but at least on the truck I'm going to be getting, the severity is greatly reduced.

With all that being said, I don't want to deal with the same issued again, so I am going to look into trading right out of the Denali and am now looking to Tundra again. I am considering ordering one of the 2017's if I can't find the one I want in a 2016. I think I may have changed my mind on the Platinum though, I'm thinking a Limited CrewCab 4x4 with the TRDpro All terrain package, JBL Entune, moonroof and some of the other accessories. Anyone have a setup like this? Also what is everyone perspective on the rear sway bar? like it? hate it? anyone remove it after getting it?

Thanks, and sorry again for disappearing

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  5. Oct 31, 2016 at 5:39 PM
    Jesse D

Jesse D [OP] New Member

Member:
    good to know, do you have the TRD one or aftermarket? Do you know how it compares to something like a roadmaster active suspension kit?

6. Oct 31, 2016 at 6:05 PM
    Basskrazee

Basskrazee Pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Indianapolis, IN.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR5 /TRD
    AFE mass air intake TRD rear anti sway bar Headwaters seat covers TRD Pro grill Bilstien 6112 coil overs Bilstien 5160 rear shocks Consol vault
    Got 2016 and am very pleased with it. I remember the time when a truck truly got terrible gas Milage. These trucks today do not.

7. Oct 31, 2016 at 6:13 PM
    mudsweatngearz

mudsweatngearz New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited TRD CM 2016, Tacoma TRD Sport, 2005 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Window tint
  8. Oct 31, 2016 at 6:16 PM
    Jesse D

Jesse D [OP] New Member

Member:
    ummmm?

9. Oct 31, 2016 at 6:34 PM
    GoHuskers

GoHuskers New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lam
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    '16 Limited CM 5.7L 4x4, '15 GX460 premium
    What the above said....

10. Oct 31, 2016 at 6:41 PM
    Jesse D

Jesse D [OP] New Member

Member:
    that what I figured, but I wanted to be sure

11. Oct 31, 2016 at 7:04 PM
    GoHuskers

GoHuskers New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lam
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Got my 16 limited crewmax 4x4 5.7L couples of months ago and here is my 2 cents.

Keep your GM for couples of years until the NEW tundra . it's still not too late to trade it in at that time. while I like Toyota and lexus the tundra can be better like: better mpg, HID/LED headlights , better navigation , better sound system, active safety system.

Jesse D[OP] likes this.
  12. Oct 31, 2016 at 7:08 PM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    Okay, at risk of being flamed here, I'll give you my opinion.

My friend just bought a 2016 F150 Lariat and I have driven it a lot. That truck drives wonderfully. It does not "lumber" around as much as the Tundra. Of course, that is because it is about 500 lbs lighter (aluminum body) and built on a newer platform that is stiffer. The 3.5 ecoboost engine is strong enough to move it around (towing is not as good as Tundra) and it stops and corners better (less weight). And the infotainment is more current. I have helped him "mod" his Ford, and parts & accessories are much cheaper because of all the F150s everywhere. He has a lead foot and still manages 3 mpg better than I do in my Tundra.

Would I buy an F150? His stickered at about $60k but he paid about $53k. Well no. I don't think I trust the F150 enough to sink $50k+.

However, that is why I bought a used (2014) Tundra. My wife wanted a truck and we really needed something that could tow our camper, bikes, and stuff like that for our family. However, I did not want to spend a lot of money on a new Tundra that is built on an old platform. Now, I will agree that the platform is rock solid reliable. However, it is way behind in technology and sophistication. So I chose the route of letting someone else take the depreciation hit and bought used. The Tundra is very reliable so buying used is not risky. I would not buy a used Ford F150 because of the reliability issues.

I would consider buying a new Tundra after they update the platform with a major redesign. I would buy the second year after that redesign. Actually, that is my exact plan.

However, since you are getting out of a Chevy/GM truck because of the many issues that plagued the truck, you should buy a Tundra. It is almost the exact opposite of your experience. Don't worry about the gas mileage. You'll have way less aggravation.

Jesse D[OP] likes this.
  13. Oct 31, 2016 at 7:26 PM
    Jesse D

Jesse D [OP] New Member

Member:
    Those would all be very nice, and under ordinary circumstances I would most likely consider that, but I just can't bring myself to go through all of these same issues again with the GM. Which is why I am looking at the Tundra and the F-150. I love both trucks for different reasons, Toyota is super reliable, but very dated, where the F-150 is fairly reliable (but like many, I am still nervous about the EB engines), but very modern and current (being a 23 year old Mechanical Engineer, I like all the Techy toys)

This is exactly why I am looking at these 2 trucks. A number of people have told me that they think I would like the F-150 better... but to get something equivalent (what I want and like) its even more expensive.

14. Oct 31, 2016 at 8:01 PM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    Unless you drive a lot, the difference in mpg's between f150 and Tundra is not really a deciding factor on its own. Have you driven both of them? You need to just drive them and decide. My Tundra is actually my wife's DD. I will not drive it on a daily basis because it does "lumber" too much for me. But my wife really loves driving it. So I think you need to just drive the 2 and decide what feels better for your driving needs.

15. Oct 31, 2016 at 8:24 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    If you're planning to keep your truck for 15 years or more, the tundra's the only one that'll make it there. If you plan to keep it for 10 years, the tundra's the way to go. If you plan to keep it for 5 years, um, I would still go with the tundra. Now, if you're going to lease for 3 years and plan to return it, definitely get an F-150. It's still going to spend a bunch of time at the dealership getting repaired, but atleast it's under warranty. Personally, I'm never going back to Ford.

16. Oct 31, 2016 at 8:46 PM
    dave91gt

dave91gt New Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 TRD Crewmax 4x4
    I'm a diehard Ford guy driving my first Tundra. Traded my 14 F150 (screw, EB, 3.55's, App package, etc) for a 16 Crewmax TRD SR5 5.7.
    I basically swapped leases payment wise. Had 1.5 yrs left on the Ford and now have a 2 year on the Tundra. So far, I'm enjoying the Tundra but honestly missing a lot of things about the F150. The Tundra is a solid truck and I get the brand loyal thing amongst everyone that owns one. But it is really out dated in some areas. The door switches don't light up at night. The odometer is on a 1980's push button on the gauge cluster. There is a real absence of storage. The 5.7 is strong for a V8 but it's noisy and thirsty (last tank was 13.6). The EB I had pulled interstate hills in 6th despite having 34's and 3.55's. The 5.7 reminds me a lot of the 5.0 F150 I had before the EB. Strong initial power, kind of soft in midrange, then a strong pull to the top of the tach. The tundra reeks of solid engineering, typical of Japanese quality standards. It's just sad Toyota hasn't given it any love. I'm used to seeing a lot of traffic of new stuff coming from Ford. Toyota doesn't seem to even try to appeal to the Tundra base. It's like they just build a solid, traditional, truck that you can take it or leave it. Nothing wrong at all with that. They've spent the last several years optimizing, rather than innovating. But spending $40-$50k on a truck makes a person look for the best bang for the buck. Toyota hinges their pitch on reliability rather than a leading edge truck. At least on the Tundra. The Tacoma seems to be a different marketing model. I've got buddies with Silverados and the shaking and oil consumption are real issues. One guy traded a 2015 with 15k miles on another Silverado because the first one shook like a drug addict. Had to get another Silverado because no one else would trade him. He's building equity and getting a 2.7 EB F150 next.

17. Oct 31, 2016 at 10:38 PM
    ChucklesToy

ChucklesToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra Limited 4X4 Nightshade Blueprint
    BAK MX4, window tint, TRD skid plate
    In the 2 ½ years I owned my 2014 Silverado, I had 5 recalls and 6 TSBs and never got close to the stated MPG. Hated the throttle delay and AFM along with the crappiest radio I have ever had on a vehicle (FM didn't even hold stations...kinda basic...). Every time I went in for an oil change, it was something else. When the trailer hitch platform was announced, I drove it to the Toyota dealer and traded it in. Since then, they've recalled the drive seat belt, of all things. Fast forward to current...went in for my first oil change and tire rotation after 6 months. In and out in a jiffy...wait, nothing else? Oh yeah, a nice cup of coffee. And yes, I recently installed the rear sway bar and it does make a difference. Trade it and you will not regret it...

joonbug likes this.
  18. Oct 31, 2016 at 10:54 PM
    TundraGuy80

TundraGuy80 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Rock Warrior
    18x9 Fuel Gripper Wheels 33x12.5 Atturo Trail Blade MT Tires Bilstein 5100 Front & Rear Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust Super 10 Muffler 2 in 2 out 20% Window Tint Color Match Door Handles
    My 07 Limited 4.7 V8 gets an average of 18 MPG I drive 40 + miles a day to work 5 days a week on back roads 50 MPH speed limit, a tank of gas lasts me a week roughly $45 to fill.

19. Oct 31, 2016 at 10:55 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    All my Tundras, I'm on my 5th, have been to the shop at least 6 times by the time they've 40k......for oil changes.

20. Nov 1, 2016 at 5:00 AM
    Kenpo

Kenpo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    TX
    IMG_2330.jpg This is in my Nissan Frontier Pro X 4x4 no lift stock size tires but I switched to KO2 at 265x75x16. When I get a Tundra if I get 16-17 will be thrilled. I imagine when new it will be much lower super tight motor. But a few mile per gal drop gets me back into a V8 count me in.

Jesse D[OP] likes this.
  21. Nov 1, 2016 at 7:07 AM
    GoHuskers

GoHuskers New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lam
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    IFF I drive 50-60 mpg I will have no problems get 18+ mpg on my 5.7L 4x4. In fact I did that another day, driving between 55-70 mph for 12 miles and it says 18.7 mpg....BUT hell no you will always want to step on the gas pedal...it just sounds so good.

Sierra_Nevada, Kenpo and Jesse D[OP] like this.
  22. Nov 1, 2016 at 7:28 AM
    Jesse D

Jesse D [OP] New Member

Member:
    Unfortunately I do drive a lot, and most of it is in stop and go traffic. Atleast right now, I'm looking for a new job and will likely be moving, hopefully traffic isn't as bad where ever I end up.

My family normally only keeps vehicles until they are 10-20k miles out of warranty, if that long.

I like the whole optimized thing, but updating isn't bad either. I'm 23 and a mechanical engineer, I like Techy. haha more stuff to break, but I like it nonetheless. The shake, and everything that ChucklesToy below said are the reasons I fought GM to buy my truck back.

God, between you and Dave91GT, you two combined have all the issues my Silverado has. Thats why its being bought back through a Trade Assist.

THIS, THIS is why I'm seriously considering Tundra. I'm beyond done with dealing with issues while vehicles are under warranty. Although my family has had a number of Ford and Lincoln Vehicles, and never had any issues while they were under warranty. Unfortunately, I haven't read the same experiences on forums lately.

23. Nov 1, 2016 at 8:36 AM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    Yeah, that's a tough call. I like to drive "spiritedly". I do not offroad at all. I bought my Tundra for my wife as a DD. If I were buying a truck for myself, I would lean towards a Ford F150 because it "handles" better on asphalt and it has more "techy" stuff. However, my wife likes the way the Tundra drives and she places more of a value on reliability, so her truck = her choice.

However, you will be absolutely thrilled by the lack of issues with the Tundra. You won't know what to do with all the time you save not going to the dealer and your stress levels will go way down. You'll pay more for gas vs the Ford. The Ford is less likely to be as troublesome as the Silverado, but not as rock solid as the Tundra.

24. Nov 1, 2016 at 9:24 AM
    TundraGuy80

TundraGuy80 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Rock Warrior
    18x9 Fuel Gripper Wheels 33x12.5 Atturo Trail Blade MT Tires Bilstein 5100 Front & Rear Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust Super 10 Muffler 2 in 2 out 20% Window Tint Color Match Door Handles
    I hear you!!! and there's some great spots where you can't help but step on it, it's just what you do!!!

25. Nov 5, 2016 at 8:15 PM
    Jesse D

Jesse D [OP] New Member

Member:
    Well I test drove both a Tundra Limited CrewMax 5.7L and an F-150 Lariat Super Crew 3.5 ecoboost today. Both had their Respective All Terrain packages, were black on black and had their respective premium tech package. Here is my impressions

Tundra:
    clearly a well built vehicle
    firmer more truck like ride compared to the F-150, but not a harsh ride either
    smooth, stable ride with a slightly lower amount of body roll than the F-150
    LOUD, the sound deadening is nonexistent, Unless I'm coasting, then engine noise is right there in your face
    Has the Michelin LTX A/T2 tires on it, which I really like.
    poorer Fuel Efficiency, noticeable even on the test drive

F-150:
    Initial quality is very well built, not convinced about longer term though
    softer ride with more comfortable seats than the Tundra
    smooth ride, but bounces slightly more over bumps than the Tundra
    Very good sound deadening, unless I was really stepping on the throttle it was relatively quiet
    Has Hankook Dynapro A/T M tires... I know nothing about them

Overall, I liked both trucks. The Tundra dealer worked some numbers that work really well for me. They actually valued my trade higher than the purchase price of the Tundra by roughly $3k. That being said, I do think that I liked the F-150 slightly more because it is quieter. I spend a lot of time in the truck, so that is something that is really important to me. I still need to get numbers from the dealer, as the numbers will be a major deciding factor. Anyway I appreciate everyone's opinion, and I'm not ruling the Tundra out by any means, but all things considered at this time, I'm leaning toward the F-150.

26. Nov 5, 2016 at 8:52 PM
    Marty McFly

Marty McFly Nobody calls me chicken!! Except when off roading

Member:
    First Name:
    Morty McBoonJug
    McBoonJug = McDonald’s and Moonshine in a Jug
    Vehicle:
    2016 StormTrooper Tundra CrewMax TRD PRO
    image.jpg We can all do this. Nuff said... FTW :woot:

27. Nov 5, 2016 at 9:04 PM
    Marty McFly

Member:
    First Name:
    Morty McBoonJug
    Vehicle:
    and this was in south central LA. I bet it still got 14 mpg towing this thing in SoCal traffic lol :benchpress:

Jesse D[OP] likes this.
  28. Nov 6, 2016 at 11:51 AM
    2cID

2cID New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 crewmax 4x4
    Car seat covers
    Anyone else hear about this taking 2 trucks to do?

29. Nov 6, 2016 at 3:53 PM
    Benni

Benni New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    I have '16 Limited 5.7L with 4k miles.......getting 17-18 mpg which is 95% highway, only time it isn't highway is when it's loaded & hauling firewood out of the backside of my property, then it's probably getting 5 mpg what with all the mud & hills & ruts I gotta get through to reach the point where I whacked down that oak tree.

I did not buy this truck because I wanted to become the family chauffer, that's my wife's job with her 4 wheel drive 4Runner, because no matter how I slice it, we've both gotta be able to get in & out of a rural homestead when there's 2' of snow out there & no snowplowing from the town for almost a week at times. We're so far out in the boonies where the Miles Per Gallon you get with your trucks are at the bottom of your list of priorities, call us hillbillies if you like.

2cID, Marty McFly and NewImprovedRon like this.
  30. Nov 6, 2016 at 5:01 PM
    Marty McFly

Member:
    First Name:
    Morty McBoonJug
    Vehicle:

No way did they use 2 trucks. This event was covered on every news station in LA. They towed it through a bunch of nieghborhoods near exposition park/USC campus. People were sitting on their roofs watching Toyota tow this thing. Way too many witnesses to not pull it off. Sounds like a Ford rumor to me tisk tisk lol.

I sleep well at night knowing I can tow a space shuttle if I need to. :rofl:

NewImprovedRon likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top