1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Concrete Driveway Expansion Joints Replacement

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Trooper2, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Apr 9, 2019 at 6:43 AM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 [OP] Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    So my Driveway's expansion joint/form boards have rotted out over the years. I really did not care until recently, not a lot of slope on a longer driveway, dirt and or bank sand is being wash up thru after heavy rains. Pressure washing gets real messy.
    Looking for recommendations to refill the joints. In our area many have some sort of sealant poured in joints, seems to work ok but doesn't last super long and starts to crack, peel, and look bad in a few years.
    I found a product on Amazon that wedges in place that looks like a better option but is $3.00 a foot. I could use 200-300 foot.
    Any other suggestions?
    https://slabgasket.com

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    P-Factor likes this.
  2. Apr 9, 2019 at 6:53 AM
    Racingjohndeere55

Racingjohndeere55 New Member

Member:
    You talking about that creosote soaked fiber board? Can you clean out the joint and wiggle new in?

3. Apr 9, 2019 at 6:59 AM
    Trooper2

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    Think in our area just regular wood, maybe treated wood used. Its usually a 1×4 for driveways & sidewalks.
    cleaning out to replace could be a chore. Replace with like material possible but seems like s hard job, sure the slab ends aren't nice and smooth.

4. Apr 11, 2019 at 6:29 PM
    Ps3udonymous

Ps3udonymous Who is the smart ass that changed the title?

Member:
    I seen some foam type stuff that fits in the cracks..let me find it

Never mind, that was for something else

5. Apr 11, 2019 at 6:33 PM
    Tacogrande

Tacogrande New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 dbl. cab long bed gray
    Husky weatherbeaters,short antenna,window deflectors
    I use Pecora NR201 aluminum stone self leveling. Its commercial grade. Seems to last me at least 5 years or so before i tear it out and replace.

Pudge likes this.
  6. Apr 11, 2019 at 8:37 PM
    Slayer

Slayer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Slayer
    how wide is your gap?
    there are a few commercial products available.. most are expensive.
    as you have noticed.. most of the pour in type products will fail due to expansion / contraction.

this is important.. even if it's just the budget friendly route of replacing with ground contact treated wood strips.
    if left unattended the soils under the slab will continue to undermine.. then you will get hollow spots.
    once the hollow spots get large enough your slab will crack & settle

Trooper2[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  7. Apr 11, 2019 at 8:53 PM
    Trooper2

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    Most of the gaps are 3/4"-7/8". I got the slab gasket sample pack, and those would be the sizes that would work best.
    https://slabgasket.com

I thought about trying to drive some composite type deck boards between the slabs, not sure if any are the right thickness.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  8. Apr 12, 2019 at 3:19 AM
    Ps3udonymous

Member:
    Issue with that is how much will they flex when the crete expands? Would that create and issue on the seam and cause cracks?

9. Apr 12, 2019 at 3:24 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    They could be if you had access to a planer

10. Apr 12, 2019 at 4:10 AM
    Slayer

Slayer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Slayer
    I have replaced expansion joints before with treated wood.. it's not that bad, the worst part is digging out the old.
    run the new boards thru a table saw tipped at 15* angle & tap them in.

I like the clean look of slabgasket.

on a project that big... the lumber route is significantly less cost $200 vs $900

11. Apr 12, 2019 at 4:35 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    Don't put something solid in there. The reason for the expansion joint is that when it gets hot the concrete expands, so the joint has to be able to compress. Hence "expansion" joint.

I am a civil engineer working for a construction company. We do this all the time. We use Sika products. Use a foam rod in the bottom of the joint (to keep the sealant from flowing through and you end up using too much of it), then put a bead of Sika sealer in there. You will be good for several years. Of course make sure the surfaces are nice and clean before you start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGGcCKrTFeo

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  12. Apr 12, 2019 at 5:26 AM
    Ps3udonymous

Member:
    This is similar to what I mentioned in my other post, I just couldn't remember wtf I had seen it done for.

Boerseun[QUOTED] and Omohundro like this.
  13. Apr 12, 2019 at 5:36 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    I also have this problem and have considered the SlabGasket. My conclusion: Innovative, excellent result (maybe mostly aesthetic), too expensive for the amount of joint I have to seal.

I also have studied sealed joints in commercial construction and wondered how in the world average laborers could lay those big, wide sealant beads seemingly perfectly, and why the sealant wasn't also unaffordable, even WITH backer rod.

Thanks @Boerseun for a revealing video. The Sika still not cheap...30 ounce tube every 10'?

Boerseun[QUOTED] and Omohundro like this.
  14. Apr 12, 2019 at 6:00 AM
    Squatting Pigeon

Squatting Pigeon Squattingpigeon.com Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    Excellent comments so far, for sure.
    I work for one of Sika's competitors and we make something similar to what was shown in that video, but it ain't at Lowe's. Haha

Another thing to keep in mind with sealant joints is that they are most effective when the depth of the sealant is half the width.

That dude in the video makes a great point about wearing your hands out too. This would be a great excuse to buy an electric cartridge gun!
    :spending:

15. Apr 12, 2019 at 10:56 AM
    Trooper2

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for sharing.

What is a reasonable life expectancy of this product? My problem with what I have seen (Products names unknown) is that in time it shrinks/peels/ and starts to look bad.

16. Apr 12, 2019 at 12:02 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    The product does not come with a warranty (other than 1 year warranty against manufacturing defects). The reason for that is the variety of applications, conditions etc. If it is not installed right, or not cleaned good before installation the life will be significantly reduced. We have to provide a 2-year warranty on all our work and I have never had to go back and fix this. There are projects that are more than 5 years old where I know it is still holding up. And that is in the Florida sun and heat. Difficult to say though with all the variables.

Trooper2[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  17. Apr 12, 2019 at 12:33 PM
    TokerJoker

TokerJoker ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Nowhere, Specific
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black SR5 4.6 Dbl Cab
    None.....yet
    Sika flex avalible at home depot.... not cheap but super effective we use for sealing loops for gate operators. It is self leveling and will run to the lowest spot. Just be aware. We have used this product for 10+ years and works phenomenally well.

Boerseun likes this.
  18. Apr 13, 2019 at 8:32 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    I asked our vendor and he also talked about the variables but in general he said life expectancy of the Sika products is 10 to 20 years.

TokerJoker likes this.
  19. Sep 21, 2019 at 1:03 AM
    VictorValencia

VictorValencia New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Victor
    It is very important to give maintenance to your pavements. Check whether it has small pores, oil spots, cracks or the rough surface. And if these are there in your pavement, then taking steps to repair it as early as possible. As the cracks in the pavements leads to the potholes which creates big problems. There are different techniques used to repair the bad conditions of the pavements. The blacktop companies Long Island provides the advance techniques and the best materials for seal-coating the parts or edges of the pavements. One of my friends told me about this company and its services.

20. Sep 21, 2019 at 2:57 AM
    Scuba

Scuba Sober member

Member:
    Austin, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Texas Edition CM.
    :rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top