1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Computer build...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by TTU19, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Apr 19, 2019 at 7:24 AM
    smslavin

smslavin Behind a lens...

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    yea, i'm atypical for sure. i know enough to be dangerous. :cool:

apple isn't the only one taking advantage. gateway started it even though they tried to be cute about it with the cows (damn. i just dated myself). dell followed. if you walk into a microsoft store at the mall, they are just as bad as the apple 'geniuses'.

building a machine is a good exercise. putting the hardware together is the easy part. after that, it's installing windows and configuring drivers that gets difficult. granted, it has become much easier than the days of Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and Win95... :anonymous:

glad you like the truck build. :cheers:

2. Apr 19, 2019 at 7:27 AM
    10TundraSR5

10TundraSR5 Happy Tundra owner

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black Tundra SR5
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!
    I like the cut of your jib.

3. Apr 19, 2019 at 7:29 AM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    I usually deliver/post in sRGB, but damn my RAW files are starting to take up a lot of space on my server. I gotta stop hoarding them so long!

Off topic but as a Canon user, this guy is hilarious, came across it looking at EOS R reviews:

4. Apr 19, 2019 at 7:31 AM
    shakezoola

shakezoola Not a new member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Sport MGM
    N-Fab MRDS Bfront Bumper w/ Rigid Industries Radiance PODS and Curved LED Light Bar TRD Skid plate Victory 4x4 Roof rack and hood mounts with Rigid industries Midnight PODS Alpine Halo9 ILX-F309TND Alpine PDR-V75 5-Channel amp powering 4x Image Dynamics component speakers Alpine S-A60M powering 1x 12" sub Fortin Remote Start with MyCar App Switch Pros SP-9100 Pop-and-Lock tailgate lock vLeds front turn signals w/switchback Center Console Safe Pedal Commander Diamond Back HD bed cover Swing Cases Driver/Passenger Katzkin Leather seats w/ heated front seats Bilstein B8 5100's Front and rear AMP Research PowerSteps Toyota TSS wheels w/ DuraTracs Toyota bed mat Bed light (LEDs) Blacked out badges Sport Antenna
    If it hasn't been mentioned already, I would recommend adding a liquid cooling for your CPU. The hydro static systems are simple and run very quiet.

5. Apr 19, 2019 at 7:33 AM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    Very true, repairing them has become micro-surgery. I remember I pulled out an optical drive on an old Pro and made it SSD with a TB HDD in optical. Can’t even change the RAM soldered on boards now, sheesh!

6. Apr 19, 2019 at 7:49 AM
    Tzvia

Tzvia Just an old woman in a pickup truck.

Member:
    Los Angeles County
    Vehicle:
    2019 5.7L Limited TRD Off Road 4x4
    Just a Bed Rug and Snugtop XTRA Vision
    I've built my own PCs since the AT days with DOS and I can't agree more with those who say it is better to build than buy, if the need is for more than just surfing the web and reading email. Nothing wrong with AMD; you can get 90% of an Intel for 60% of the price. They make great budget builds. Where Intel shines is getting that last bit of performance, for benchers and gamers like me who somehow rationalize a $6000 computer :eek::spending:
    Back to the OP's question, isn't the 8600 an I5, and the 8700 the I7? Haven't been keeping up on those, (as I went I9 this time). Here is the plus of building, you pick what you want and put the money where you need. Example, I would do an I5 if the savings there meant being able to do SSD or M.2 with those savings, instead of a spinner. That is a real world speed boost.

I work in IT at a UC, and yea I have seen the insides of a lot of DELLs and they leave a lot to be desired. Building is better.

ZappBrannigan and TTU19[OP] like this.
  7. Apr 19, 2019 at 8:04 AM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    i have several raid arrays. one box for stills and one box for motion. they are both configured the same and connected via sata to the mac pro. the enclosures came from macgurus many many moons ago. i may replace them with some new enclosures from g-tech when the time comes.

the enclosures each have 6 2tb drives which are split into 2 6tb raid 0 arrays per box. it's just software raid using apple's disk utility. one array is 'working' and the other is backup. since i've got a backup set, i'll take the raid 0 speed over the other levels. backups are done automatically every night using chronosync.

i know some people just keep every raw file but i'm pretty brutal on my editing and delete anything that may not have a potential use. i should have been that way with my slide film since there are thousands of slides sitting in the basement...

JoshuaA[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Apr 19, 2019 at 8:39 AM
    ZappBrannigan

ZappBrannigan The mind is willing but the flesh is weak

Member:
    Canada, by way of Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2018 1794 MGM
    NVS light bar
    You may want to look into a NAS as well.

So many raw files....

JoshuaA likes this.
  9. Apr 19, 2019 at 8:40 AM
    ZappBrannigan

ZappBrannigan The mind is willing but the flesh is weak

Member:
    Canada, by way of Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2018 1794 MGM
    NVS light bar
    I’m so glad someone here has good taste in entertainment.

10. Apr 19, 2019 at 9:04 AM
    mojojo

mojojo New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement SR5 CM
    While I agree here, my real world experiences (difference between my own pc and my work laptop [I'm upgrading to a zbook shortly]) tells me to recommend he spend more money on ram and nvme technology over prioritizing a video card that most likely will never be taxed.

I really think for someone like this that doesn't use the resources like you (even more so than I), there's no reason for a "good" video card.
    Side note: if I were to quantify a "good" video card, I would immediately jump to the RTX line of cards... and I can't see a need for that here.

OP: I've watched a couple of this guys videos, and I think his logic is sound.

Here's a video he did in December last year on a $500 build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4MLwgvZwn0&t=504s

...and I have only bought PC parts from one of two places over the last ~20 years.

Online: www.newegg.com
    If you have a MicroCenter near you, the place is an overload for geeks. They will also match anyone's price - including Amazon Prime.

@TTU19 Those parts would make a very nice pc capable of just about anything I could think of.

11. Apr 19, 2019 at 9:16 AM
    AxelsHumanDad

AxelsHumanDad I am Groot

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    KAIG, NW of The Frozen Tundra
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM Platinum
    Some suspension tweaks
    My Spyder3 Pro from my Win7 machine will not work on this new Win10 box. Even using open source DisplayCal with Argyll drivers, it will.not.work.
    Friggin' Spyder always wants you to buy the latest-greatest of whatever they have. :mad:

JoshuaA and smslavin[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Apr 19, 2019 at 9:23 AM
    TTU19

TTU19 [OP] Wreck 'Em

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    Cool, I'll check that out. I do think the Graphics card I have on there now is overkill since I dont do any gaming on it. So that's for sure an area I can probably cut cost. And like you said, I want to max out on the processor and ram, nvme m.2 and everything else. I can always add a better graphics card later if I feel I need it, I can't change the processor as easily, ha.

mojojo[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Apr 19, 2019 at 11:12 AM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    totally agree.

14. Apr 19, 2019 at 11:38 AM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    Nice! I have a QNAP NAS 4bay x 3TB WD Reds, I used to be a movie hoard. Love how this board brings our common interests together.

15. Apr 19, 2019 at 11:43 AM
    nlaroy

nlaroy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Crewmax
    LED bulbs, RCI Underwear, WKOR Sliders, Fox 2.5 w/ resi Front and back, Deaver leaf springs,
    So what games we playing?

16. Apr 19, 2019 at 11:49 AM
    FoghornTX

FoghornTX Proud American and Infidel since 1968

Member:
    Ft Worth, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 Camry XSE (Black w/blackout package)
    You asking of folks in general?

17. Apr 19, 2019 at 11:53 AM
    nlaroy

nlaroy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Crewmax
    LED bulbs, RCI Underwear, WKOR Sliders, Fox 2.5 w/ resi Front and back, Deaver leaf springs,
    Sure, I don't mind. I just noticed the Tzvia is using a 2tb m.2 for games... lol Wanted to know what games. But sure Foghorn, what you playing bud?

18. Apr 19, 2019 at 11:53 AM
    10TundraSR5

10TundraSR5 Happy Tundra owner

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black Tundra SR5
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!
    Fire Pro Wrestling World

That's the only game you need.

19. Apr 19, 2019 at 1:00 PM
    TiltedTundra

TiltedTundra I am become death, destroyer of worlds

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    MiddleWest
    Vehicle:
    2017 White TRD Pro
    Is this true? I work in "IT" and unless you're stuck in government or state-funded institutions, I find most "tech" places prefer apple. Look at almost any new software or data company and they're using Apples.

It always seems like guys who spend time downloading drivers or replacing a few plug n play parts develop an arrogance about their abilities. Or they they think they're L33T because they installed a Linux distro. I've built my own PCs and used Mac as my personal laptop. Have to use a win10 laptop for my analyst day job. I prefer Apple because it gives me no issues, day in and day out, for years on end.

I can't say the same for my windows computers. My personal build for gaming still has an occasional headache - (Ryzen 7, 1070, m.2 with a few other bells and whistles).

JoshuaA and smslavin like this.
  20. Apr 19, 2019 at 1:32 PM
    nlaroy

nlaroy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Crewmax
    What does that mean? Do you not really work in IT, do you have a different understanding of what IT is? Are you using quotes in a different manner that what they are "normally" used for? :)

21. Apr 19, 2019 at 2:00 PM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    :rofl:

i actually laughed out loud at that one :thumbsup:

TiltedTundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Apr 19, 2019 at 2:16 PM
    TiltedTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    MiddleWest
    Vehicle:
    2017 White TRD Pro
    It means I don't care to get in the specifics so I'm using it as a broad brush. I'm not a part of our server or IT-architecture team, I'm employed as an analyst and I've done IT work the majority of my working life.

Does my understanding of 'IT' meet/surpass your kewl interwebz threshold?

23. Apr 19, 2019 at 2:41 PM
    nlaroy

nlaroy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Crewmax
    Its not a coolness threshold or anything like that. But your comment struck me as someone that normally doesn't work in the administrative/backend side of IT. Most of my users have a say similar things. So when you quoted IT, I was curious where you fit into IT. :)

TiltedTundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Apr 19, 2019 at 2:58 PM
    ninjajay

ninjajay Posting from the toilet

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Spoolston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM 1794 TRD 4x4
    Toytec/Radflo Lift, Ambit RS02 18x9+0, Bridgestone Revo 3 295/70/18
    Computer build threads always devolve so quickly... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sas, Moon Puppy and FoghornTX like this.
  25. Apr 19, 2019 at 3:15 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    I’m in “IT”

I like to investigate tits

Moon Puppy, johnvan and TTU19[OP] like this.
  26. Apr 19, 2019 at 5:53 PM
    mojojo

mojojo New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement SR5 CM
    Pubg

I've been with it through all of its jankyness since early access...

nlaroy[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Apr 19, 2019 at 9:26 PM
    TiltedTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    MiddleWest
    Vehicle:
    2017 White TRD Pro
    Fair enough. I get a little testy because it seems everyone online has IT dick-swagger. I could've been more clear with my IT statement.

Back to computer builds...so easy a caveman could do it.

28. Apr 20, 2019 at 11:00 AM
    Tzvia

Member:
    Los Angeles County
    Vehicle:
    Fallouts and mostly heavily modded Skyrim (still, though it's an old game LOL). Also still play Oblivion which was a better game. Some Bioshock and a little Assassins Creed. No online stuff, I like to take my time and find things like Easter eggs and unconventional ways of getting through things. I don't just run in and bash stuff. I also like eye candy so mod to taste.

nlaroy[QUOTED] and ZappBrannigan like this.
  29. Apr 20, 2019 at 11:16 AM
    Tzvia

Member:
    Los Angeles County
    Vehicle:
    Yes, some kind of NAS is a good idea if generating lots of data, as images/video tend to eat that stuff up. While working on things, I keep files on NVME, then for storage, off to the NAS. I setup a Supermmicro board with 3.5ghz XEON and 8 4tb drives, mirrored-striped. Yes I get 50% space, but speed is good and I have some resilience to drive failure. Using Nas4free/XIGMANAS with ZFS so it's quite robust, with an external drive plugged in as a backup to it using RSYNC, that I can swap out when full and plug in another for new files. Remember, stuff fails, and if the NAS is the only place where that data is, it is NOT A BACKUP. It is the ONLY place where the data is so is a point of failure. I don't care how many drives you are mirroring. I went two deep on the mirror then copy to an external drive and that's enough for home stuff. Two NAS boxes, one mirroring the other, is another way to make a real backup (50% efficiency again). And if that's too much cost and you are using a USB plug in drive (not a stick, a drive in an enclosure), use two, and make sure you copy the data to both before deleting the data from the computer.

I do this all day at work (please don't make fun of our football team, they did beat USC), then when I get home I do this stuff some more (5 server VMs, VMWARE ESXI, NAS server, even built a router with an I3 and Gigabyte ITX board using PFSENSE and some security add-ins). You would think I would do something else when I get home. That's where the truck comes in. It helps me get away when I can.

30. Apr 20, 2019 at 11:36 AM
    Tzvia

Member:
    Los Angeles County
    Vehicle:
    Ha ha! We woman don't get 'IT dick-swagger', we're just the ones who get things done in a male dominated field :p. But I found it funny and quite true. I don't claim to be a rocket scientist, but in a previous job when I worked for CSC, I helped rocket scientists do their job of putting the space shuttle in space. But people don't need to be a rocket scientist to put a computer together. Getting the right mix of parts for the purpose can be overwhelming to the casual computer user. For an image/video editor; storage, fast working drives, mid-range good quality video card, enough ram of decent speed, stable motherboard, sound system if editing video/music, and a quality PSU and don't ever skimp there. Add a good AIO water cooler for the CPU. Turnkey stuff is not going to be a system tailored for the use. It is going to be a series of compromises to hit a price point.
    And yes, once the parts are all picked out, it is easy to put together and test with Intel Burn Test or MEMTEST or similar just to gauge stability.

Products Discussed in

To Top