1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ColoradoTJ tow rig build

Discussion in '2nd Gen Builds (2007-2013)' started by ColoradoTJ, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Jul 31, 2016 at 10:47 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ [OP] Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    image.jpg Last evening I attempted to install my front struts. This ended up being a huge fail.

Drivers side: one of the alignment bolts might be rusted in. This allows the lower control arm to drop free to install the strut assembly. (Pretty cool design from Toyota) I can move it out of the way with a little persuasion. The air tool that I was using isn't the most powerful and may just use and air over hydraulic tool. If 5k ft pounds of torque doesn't break the bolt free.....

Second issue after getting both struts out, my spring compressor would not fit around the massive springs. As you can imagine, a few choice and well deserved words came out of my mouth.

Today I ordered two new strut mount kits and rented the proper tools and will assemble the shocks up first.

With any luck, tonight will go a hell of a lot better with the install.

2. Jul 31, 2016 at 11:22 AM
    mdavis

mdavis I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    Good luck tonight!

3. Jul 31, 2016 at 12:07 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Looking forward to what you think of the ride with those rear shocks

4. Jul 31, 2016 at 12:13 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Will do Monday night. I should have both installed by then. Only one installed now and cannot give a good review.

However, I did install the shackles and one 5160 shock on the drivers rear. These past two days after work, when getting on the highway was the first time since owning this truck the traction control light did not come on. At the top of the ramp to the highway there is a bump that has set my TC off every time unless I am doing 35 mph.

TruckyTruck[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jul 31, 2016 at 6:11 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    This is turning into a little bit of a PITA. All the parts stores spring compressors will not fit and lock on the Bilstein springs. I may just buy new spring plates, take the damn shocks into a shop that has a hydraulic compressor and pay them to assemble them. I have already spent the money in fuel and time attempting to find some spring compressors that will work properly.

Something to consider when ordering this kit. Some vendors like @dirtydeeds offers this service for 110.00. At this point, it would have been worth it to just go this route.

On a side note, some of these parts store employees make me shake my head. The last place I went was Checker/O'Reilly. I showed the manager that the spring compressor would go on the spring, just the locks would not work. Get this, he then says "just use a big zip tie and you should be fine"... when he seen the look on my face, he then said "you could always just use a couple per side". sigh....

Y0TA PR0, TheBeast and 2cID like this.
  6. Jul 31, 2016 at 6:13 PM
    2cID

2cID New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 crewmax 4x4
    Car seat covers
    It's like a epidemic that's run through the entire nation!

ColoradoTJ[OP] and TheBeast like this.
  7. Jul 31, 2016 at 6:34 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    It's sketchy, but I have a set, and then get the free loaners from Autozone. Crank the rentals a bit then you can use the safety retainers, and combined with mine it is easy. I've done lots no issue, and can help if you would like. It is really no big deal to have a shop do it, just make sure they clock your springs right. The tab on the top rubber isolater flips fore and aft, the branding on the spring should be shifted to center per side. Look at TRD pro springs, they have this reference on them. PM if you want help.

8. Jul 31, 2016 at 7:26 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Good information. I would rather keep this out of PMs so others can learn from this.

So do you have a picture of what you are talking about? I'm pretty much certain I know, but others may not.

Thanks for the tech!

9. Jul 31, 2016 at 7:41 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Just an FYI, this is what @Vizsla is talking about.

This is a video of our own @dirtydeeds vendor.

10. Jul 31, 2016 at 8:13 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    I think he was referring to physically helping you as he's in Littleton.

11. Jul 31, 2016 at 8:19 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    LMFAO...oops, I did not catch that even on the rebound.

Thanks @Vizsla for the generous offer to help a fellow Tundra guy out. Appreciate that.

2cID and T-Rex266[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Jul 31, 2016 at 8:30 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    Yes.

13. Jul 31, 2016 at 8:36 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Thanks again. I'm just going to have a local place put them together. Now if you want to help install them, now that is a different story. All the beer you can drink and a steak dinner is in your future.

T-Rex266 likes this.
  14. Jul 31, 2016 at 9:16 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    I will pm you my #, just in case. I have the perfect amount of free time. Surely sounds like you have it, but one last piece of advice that gets overlooked, your UCA bolt must be broken loose and re-torqued at ride height, that is how the factory bushings work. Every lifted Tundra I touch, I assume that has not been done, and almost never wrong. Rides more better every time.

15. Jul 31, 2016 at 9:32 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Never even heard about that. Exactly the kind of information that needs to be put out there.

What about the lower control arms? I have one on the drives side that is being a PITA. The alignment shop with have to break it free though.

16. Jul 31, 2016 at 9:59 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    LCA as well, sorry should have been more clear. Think zero out, and torque all suspension pivots at ride height. I buy a new LCA bolt when they are stuck, any time I bothered to get it loose, and re-use, the threads are stripped. Everybody uses an impact on them, this causes the rust resistant coating(galvanized) to chip and fubar the threads. You will find people that can't hold alignment, this is why. The LCA cam bolts aren't cheap, but if needed your local dealer usually has them, would never use parts store stuff.

17. Aug 1, 2016 at 8:30 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Here are my measurements...

Before anything was done:

Front 36 5/8 both sides. After 78K miles I still do not have this "lean" some get. Not sure why, maybe I am the chosen one.
    Rear 39 1/2 & 39 3/4. So there is a little lean there.

After:

Front 40 1/2 & 40 1/4. So by installing shims I gave myself lean. Good call on that one...:mad:

Rear 40 5/8 & 40 7/8

So pretty much leveled my truck without any rake. I am pissed. This isn't a very hard job, just takes a few hours and some elbow grease...sucks nonetheless anyhow.

The Bilstein 6112 kit on the 3rd setting up is supposed to give me 1.9" of lift plus the CB shims, which should have been under 2.5" of lift.

So today was a huge waist of money all together. I paid a local shop to assemble the struts. That was 30.00 plus 40.00 for the new spring plates. I'm not sure that tomorrow I will just use some spring compressors I can get from the store and then drop the clip down to the 1.3" average lift, remover the CB shims since I do not need them. Hell, I may just take them down to the lowest setting. I would like 2" of rake.

Not happy.

Y0TA PR0 and bandit like this.
  18. Aug 1, 2016 at 8:33 PM
    bandit

bandit New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Supercharged Mazzulla Long Travel Rock Warrior
    Duh Tundra
  19. Aug 1, 2016 at 8:53 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Go break something on your Tundra....

bandit[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Aug 1, 2016 at 8:55 PM
    bandit

bandit New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Duh Tundra
    I already did! Just for you!:cheers:

21. Aug 1, 2016 at 8:56 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    You're a good man sir!!

bandit likes this.
  22. Aug 1, 2016 at 8:57 PM
    bandit

bandit New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Duh Tundra
    Anytime boo

ColoradoTJ[OP] likes this.
  23. Aug 1, 2016 at 9:16 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    You are not the chosen one, no stock tundra should lean. Break down your stock coil over, the driver coil is 1/4" longer. It will settle a lot more than you think, and I know coils don't settle, but heavy truck/600 lb coils settle. Fact. If you have one more shim on the driver side than the passenger side, fill up your gas tank, bet the driver side is now 1/4" lower.

24. Aug 1, 2016 at 9:22 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Gas tank is full.

What is your take on this? Should I go to the 1.3" lift or .75", use only one shim on drivers side and take the one out on the passenger side? I'm also not sure if I received the 600 or 700 lb springs. It does not state on the side of the coil.

25. Aug 1, 2016 at 9:52 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    I am not sure, my lifted numbers match my stock numbers(mine at max with 2driver/1pass shims on 295/75-R18 has your same lift measurements)to the t with 1 coach on the driver side. It 1/4" low or high, me being super picky. I have Tundra coils, no shoot, the driver is 1/4" longer everytime. So extra preload on the driver side with a/m coilovers(not an option for us), or a shim. If you wanted less than max lift, and someone told you to combine lower height shock setting combined with extra shims is wrong. Makes no sense, pick height, put shim on driver side as needed, done. Any shim, mostly stacking, requires modified bump stops, different per side if stacked, they decrease up travel. Use the shock adjustment for height, in your situation take or leave the driver shim on previous thoughts, but why and who said use shims to adjust your adjustable ride height shocks within their range??? Hope that sounds dumd as sheet to you as well. You will enjoy the ride after its sorted.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  26. Aug 1, 2016 at 9:56 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    You have 600# coils, one can certainly track down the 700# coils(nothing special), but the only coils that come from the factory, are the ones we have 600#ers. They are really good.

27. Aug 1, 2016 at 10:04 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Well it was Coachbuilder that told me what I needed. Guess I will have 2 shims for sale soon.

So what you are saying is drop down one more setting, pull shim out on passenger side, pull one shim out on drivers side and I should be good.

Once again, thank you for your help.

28. Aug 1, 2016 at 10:13 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    Drop to the setting you like, use shim on driver side as needed, I honestly have no idea why anyone would tell you to use shims to vary height within the adjustability of the shock itself, unless balance side to side. It is stupid. I have 2 on driver, one pass, at max height, again, have your same numbers...

29. Aug 1, 2016 at 10:20 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Thanks. Glad I didn't put the shock on the highest setting.

I'm coming down to the second setting, pulling the one driver and one on passenger. That should be good.

30. Aug 1, 2016 at 10:23 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    I've got fat bobs with a shim on both sides. I did have to adjust my coilovers after a few hundred miles because they settled. I'm wondering if yours will too. I'm sure you are frustrated after doing the work and not getting the results you wanted. Let me ask you this, can you return the front shocks and springs? If you can, you could eleminate your problem by getting fat bobs coilovers. They come with a 700 pound spring and they will build them with bilstiens. Maybe just a pain in the ass to even consider, but it was pretty handy to be able to just adjust the coilovers to eleminate any measurement difference. Hope you get it worked out man.

Products Discussed in

To Top