1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Color matched paint for chrome surround/bulge?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by joem1cha3l, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Sep 22, 2016 at 9:06 AM
    joem1cha3l

joem1cha3l [OP] New Member

Member:
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 Double Cab SR5 Blazing Blue Pearl
    BOSS Suspension, DB Customz Grill, 35's, Spyder, Tint, Color matched corners
    What are the chances of being able to spray the chrome surround on my truck blazing blue pearl to match the truck and have it come out decent? Fender flares will be here soon and they're already color matched. I think I might want to do the grill also

29qfqrq_eb72735b0c03fd66d9f15e4d5ff207a9b424b85e.jpg

2. Sep 22, 2016 at 9:16 AM
    SuperSilverTundra

SuperSilverTundra i didnt pull up i Landed

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Los Angeles California
    Vehicle:
    16 TUNDRA 5.7 PLATINUM-PRO
    3"/1" TOYTEC 18x9 XD818 Heist 295/70r18 COOPER XLT DirtyDeeds BAMuffler 2018 LEDs KatzKin Leather S&B CAI
    it will probably look decent but most likely be a shade off wont match exact color and it will start to chip off within a few months I have seen it done on my old Tacoma I had a chrome grille painted black and in the sunlight you could barely tell but the black was off just a lil bit and the paint started chipping off eventually

3. Sep 22, 2016 at 9:23 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    I sprayed my hood bulge, mirror caps and bumper ends. I have a little experience with spraying and have the equipment so it was really easy for me. Metallic blue can be difficult. You want to be aware of the likelihood of creating stripes and kind of "fog" the spray at roughly 90 deg. to the first coat,,, if that makes sense. You'll want to prep the chrome by sanding really well with minimum 400 as the final grit and use a self etching primer. I'd prime, wet sand, color coat, wet sand, clear coat. You can buy the paint in rattle cans but I have no idea what quality finish you'd be able to achieve with the color coat.
    I sprayed my bumper ends too but am less confident about the durability of the paint there. I haven't had any problems with adhesion and don't expect any with the plastic,,, the metal bumpers well, no problems yet but I'm not as confident. You might wanna go black with your bumper ends?

4. Sep 24, 2016 at 9:05 PM
    TundraWes

TundraWes New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Key West, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016

Products Discussed in

To Top