1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Color Match Grill/Surround Options or Retailers?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by mr_souc, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Mar 6, 2018 at 12:45 PM
    mr_souc

mr_souc [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra TRD Off-Road CrewMax
    - 3/2" Leveling/Lift - TRD Dual Exhaust - TRD Pro Grill - 32 Inch Light Bar - N Fab Step Rails - Color Match Bumpers - 285/75-18 Terra Grappler G2s
    Hey all,

In your travels around the internets, has anyone come across an option or place to purchase color match grills, particularly for 1D6 (Silver Sky Metallic)? I found the following for the hood bulges, but I can’t seem to track down a color match grill or surround.

Upper Grille Hood Bulge

I swapped in a TRD Pro insert with my chrome surround so now I have a bum black surround I’m going to try rattle-canning with some color match from NAPA and clearcoat to get the silver surround. If an option exists, I would rather just do a swap with a 1D6 surround and be done with it.

Any one have any bookmarks saved off? Any gems out there?

Cheers fellas!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    myfirsttundra1 likes this.
  2. Mar 6, 2018 at 1:16 PM
    blizz86

blizz86 New Member

Member:
    there seems to be prepainted aftermarket parts in only certain colors.. you can either paint yourself, get a shop to paint, or buy the actual black parts and have them painted.

i went ahead and brought my surround and bulge to a local shop to have them prep and paint it. factoring the cost of a spray gun, various compressor fittings i would need, and the paint + clear, i figured i might as well let the pros handle it.

3. Mar 6, 2018 at 1:29 PM
    BHarry

BHarry New Member

Member:
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2014 BRM CM TRD
    You can find some options on www.sparksparts.com . They will custom paint parts, but it isn’t cheap. I purchased a color matched limited grille with a flat black center. It looks great, but I don’t think they did a good job of prepping. The flat black chips pretty easily.

4. Mar 6, 2018 at 1:35 PM
    SullyMoto19

SullyMoto19 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray SR5 5.7 4X4
    8" ReadyLift w/ ReadyLift and Bilstein Adjustable Coilovers w/ Reservoirs, 3" PA Body Lift, Fox 2.0 Shocks, 24x14 RBP Atomics (custom powdercoat Gloss Black), 40x15.5r24 RBP Repulsor, Relentless Fabrication Stealth bumper, N-Fab side steps, Bedlined/Paintmatched Honeycomb Grill, 2019 LED Headlights, 4 Backlit RBG Cubes, 16 RGB PlashLight Rocklights, 5% Tint & Brow, 2 10" Kicker CVT Subs with Kicker Amp in custom sealed box, Husky all weather floor mats, LED White interior bulbs

I bought a bulge for my '15 online in MGM from some off-brand website (cant remember the name).. looked great, but after a year or two, it started fading pretty bad. I rattle canned it and made it a little better, but not near the same as OEM. I think youre better off wrapping it or just biting the bullet on the price if you can find one OEM. good luck

5. Mar 6, 2018 at 2:02 PM
    thomasbus337

thomasbus337 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport DC
    If you're looking for 1D6 Silver Sky, stay far away from the aftermarket ones you find on eBay. I bought one last year in 1D6 and it was awful. The paint color was way off and in the sunlight it had a leopard print like pattern to it.

myfirsttundra1 and mr_souc[OP] like this.
  6. Mar 7, 2018 at 3:21 AM
    mr_souc

mr_souc [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    - 3/2" Leveling/Lift - TRD Dual Exhaust - TRD Pro Grill - 32 Inch Light Bar - N Fab Step Rails - Color Match Bumpers - 285/75-18 Terra Grappler G2s
    Thanks for the input fellas.

It's a bummer, seems like the Silver Sky Metallic is the most common color for Toyota in general, not just Tundras. You would think there would be more of an aftermarket or OEM support for painted body components.

7. Mar 17, 2018 at 6:30 AM
    mr_souc

mr_souc [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Maine
    Vehicle:
  8. Dec 4, 2018 at 10:29 AM
    mr_souc

mr_souc [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Hey all, thought I would close the loop on this one and post where I'm at currently.

I did end up going with with a 3rd party option for the bulge, grill, and surround and everything is holding up will and working out nicely. I also did a rattle-can job to match the bumper corners.

I thought I would share for anyone else in a similar situation.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/sil...le-can-color-match-project.30509/#post-813238

Cheers!

912 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top