1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cold air intake or no?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Travis, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Mar 20, 2016 at 9:35 AM
    Travis

Travis [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Fort Benning, GA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra SR5
    Blacked out badges and bumpers, 3/1 leveling kit, 5" oval nerf bars, carbon fiber tailgate inserts, LED interior lights, 33' tires, rockstar II wheels, tinted windows, rain guards over windows
    I've been contemplating installing a K&N cold air intake in my 2014 SR5 but I keep hearing and seeing negative comments about it. Does anyone here have one in there truck? Pro's? Con's?

2. Mar 20, 2016 at 10:48 AM
    AMRE2ME2

AMRE2ME2 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC 4x4 Limited TRD
    Your truck already has a CAI. Just do a search about CAI and you can read all you want about it. Just ask yourself why the manufactures of the CAI products won't/don't post up dyno results.

3. Mar 20, 2016 at 11:09 AM
    mdavis

mdavis Tiger Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra SR5, 5.7, 4X4
    Tow Mirrors, 275/60R20 Toyo AT2's
    This.

zcarpenter92 likes this.
  4. Mar 20, 2016 at 12:43 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
  5. Mar 20, 2016 at 1:10 PM
    watsonc3

watsonc3 New Member

Member:
    Sumter, SC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 1794 Edition 4x4
    6 in Skyjacker Lift 24x12 Rockstar II's LT315/50R24 Nitto Grapplers Gibson Performance Dual Exhaust Fabfours Veangeance Series Front and Rear Custom bumpers Fabfours side steps Fabfours roof rack with 4 pod face plate Fabfours headache bar 10 Rigid Industries 2x2 lights
    I researched the same things, and I can't find any justifiable reason to spend money on any of the aftermarket CAI's. The way the stock one is made, if you put a higher flow filter in the stock box you basically have an aftermarket CAI. I thought about buying that AFE stage 2 one that is $425 but there was another member that posted that it had caused a CEL to come on. Definitely doesn't seem worth it.

Travis likes this.
  6. Mar 20, 2016 at 2:23 PM
    tat2ude39

tat2ude39 MYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Inferno
    What's the best high flow filter for our stock Tundra intake boxes?

7. Mar 20, 2016 at 2:53 PM
    Travis

Travis [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Fort Benning, GA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra SR5
    Blacked out badges and bumpers, 3/1 leveling kit, 5" oval nerf bars, carbon fiber tailgate inserts, LED interior lights, 33' tires, rockstar II wheels, tinted windows, rain guards over windows
    Perfect. Thanks for the info, i'll probably just leave it as is then or go with the high flow filter

watsonc3 likes this.
  8. Mar 20, 2016 at 3:42 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Even the filter being changed messes with the truck. The computer will eventually adjust to compensate for the higher flow, but you will lose low end tq unless you use the stock paper filter. The best setup is literally the one that comes with the truck.

CaptTyler, tat2ude39 and watsonc3 like this.
  9. Mar 20, 2016 at 4:39 PM
    matluth

matluth Fish On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2007 Slate Metallic 5.7L Tundra DC SR5 4X4
    18"X9" FN BFD's rims, 295/70R/18E Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's, upgraded to Old Man EMU coil-overs/shocks. Toytec shackles Next: true dual exhaust, new UCA's.
    I you decide to go that route, go for the best filtration, not HP gains, which only occur at high RPMs. S&B has the best filtration #'s per CPM for aftermarket CAI's. As far as loss of low end torque....not much at all at the end of the day. 4.3:1 rear gear + option of "manual" shifting pretty much eliminates any small torque loss at low RPMs.

10. Apr 12, 2016 at 9:44 PM
    freerider8

freerider8 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tundra TRD SR5
    K&N Air Filter. Bug shield, Chrome tailpipe tip. Vent visors
    I just installed a K&N filter on my truck. I have always used K&N filters and like the long life they provide along with more air flow. I have thought about the CAI as well but cannot justify the cost over the benefits. Plus I am sure the engineers at Toyota have put together a package for these trucks that works well on it's own. Of course they have emission standards they have to comply with so there's that but I am sure they do everything they can so the trucks run well. It all comes down to personal preference after that.

matluth likes this.
  11. Apr 24, 2016 at 8:14 AM
    CBums

CBums New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra TRD 4x4 Crew Max
    None, as of now.
    I'm probably :deadhorse: on this but, doesn't a CAI benefit better with other aftermarket parts? ie; exhaust, chip, etc. ... Usually when a CAI is installed on any vehicle by itself its not much of a gain. Getting 5-10hp seems normal if you don't have any other bolt on mods. Now I haven't messed with mods on a vehicle in quite some time and I have a feeling I will be getting back into it with my truck and I would love to help put this case to rest. Hopefully I will have a more justifiable outcome in the near future. Time to do some research boys and girls! :headbang:

12. Apr 24, 2016 at 8:32 AM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Yeah if I was going to buy a different one, it would be the s&b or the trd CAI. Probably the s&b with a dry filter.

13. Apr 24, 2016 at 5:21 PM
    matluth

matluth Fish On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    18"X9" FN BFD's rims, 295/70R/18E Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's, upgraded to Old Man EMU coil-overs/shocks. Toytec shackles Next: true dual exhaust, new UCA's.
    Agree^^^ but go with wet not dry. IMHO

14. Apr 24, 2016 at 5:30 PM
    Sean266

Sean266 #ThinBlueLine Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    image.jpg

TruckyTruck, matluth and zcarpenter92 like this.
  15. Apr 24, 2016 at 5:39 PM
    matluth

matluth Fish On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    No man like things too dry.. (Sean... post some pics of your truck with the STT's. Has to look very cool......!)

16. Apr 25, 2016 at 6:20 PM
    trayday

trayday New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 limited CM
    7" BDS w/Bilstein 5100s, 20" Fuel Mavericks, 35x12.5 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Magnaflow 50 series muffler, Modiefied intake box w/AFE dry filter, PIAA super white bulbs, N-Fab steps, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Hypertech calibrator, TRD Pro shift knob
    I made my own intake and it was actually quite simple. I bought a 3" hole saw and cut a hole in the air box next to the factory tube that goes into the fender and I also cut a hole into the fender wall. I bought a rubber hose from a plumbing store and sealed it into the air box connecting through the new cut hole in the fender wall. Just make sure to remount your ground wire and spray paint the metal where you just cut to prevent rust. I'm also running an AFE dry filter.

17. Apr 26, 2016 at 12:47 PM
    SNOWBIRD

SNOWBIRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    rodney
    Vehicle:
    2013 trd limited
    minimal gains but that sound... its cool to be loud! i like my tundra loud!
    2 mpg better with the s&b and when i put the pedal down it sounds mean as fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://youtu.be/MeP6K_vzDxU

kungfuelvis likes this.
  18. Apr 26, 2016 at 2:19 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    I have mixed opinions about cais... yes a stock intake grabs "cold " air form inside the fender. A cai grabs the same air from inside the fender or is supposed to based on shroud design. What I will say is, cais use a smoother, alot of times larger tube increasing air velocity. Yes, with every aftermarket part, there's always a possibility of side effects. The occasional c/e light will piss some people off. It irritates me a little but I get over it because how the intake helps me. And i can clear the code with my fingers using my ultra gauge.

What the cai did for me was give me slightly better mpg. Like 1... but what it really did was help my throttle response. I drive stock trucks just like mine every day, mine rips compared to theirs....

Trd made a cai, if it were a bad idea why would they spend money on r&d for one?

SNOWBIRD likes this.
To Top