1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cigarette Lighter Addition

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by SNO BUS, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Feb 27, 2018 at 7:53 PM
    SNO BUS

SNO BUS [OP] Professional Moneywaster

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    White '18 CM 4x4 Limited+
    LEER Canopy, Line-X, Bed mat, Wireless charging
    Hey everyone.
    Say I was to add another cigarette lighter 12v port to my Tundra, and I don't want to splice it to an existing cigarette lighter's wires, where would I wire the new 12v port to? Are all cigarette lighters in the Tundra wired to some central place? How would I add another fuse for the new lighter/would I need to?

2. Feb 28, 2018 at 4:18 AM
    71_340

71_340 The German

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    FLW, MO
    There are no cigarette lighters in the 2018 Tundra, just 12 volt sockets to supply power to your electronic devices. Not trying to be a smarta$$ but when you take a look at the wiring on your 2018 you will notice that most of it is probably 22 or 24 gauge which is very thin and will not allow you to power something (like a lighter) with a fairly high amperage draw. So, if you really want a lighter you should probably run a 12 or 14 gauge wire directly from the battery that way there is no chance to damage the factory harness.
    Everything is CAN Bus now and wires pretty much just need to transfer a signal. You can even look at the wires going to the ignition switch, they are tiny and just carry a signal to a relay.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018

Products Discussed in

To Top