1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

chip or dont chip

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by scturndra, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Aug 9, 2016 at 1:23 PM
    scturndra

scturndra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    wall
    Vehicle:
    2012 tundra extra cab sr5 4.6v8
    I have a 2012 tundra and just put 275/70's on it and man she looks good, but now is a lot more thirsty. So I have been doing some research on chips or programmers and CIA's and seem to get mixed information. On the chips say its worth it, some say its a scam, some say it wont churt the truck, and some say it will.

So I was wondering who has chipped with out mechanical issues and who has chipped and have had mechanical issues.
    Which is the best chip I have looked at the bully dog GT programmer, the unchip and the Innovative Performance chip. The unchip and Innovative chip both claim to boost MPG up by 5 and HP up as much as 35 and wont leave a foot print. other words you can unplug it and nothing is changed in computer.
    Most of the people that I have talked in person say they have used the Innovative in their track cars.

2. Aug 9, 2016 at 1:24 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Chips = worthless. Unichip would be ok...my buddy has one in his S/C tundra and got an extra 50hp.
    Programmers = maybe if you're running some good headers, turbo or S/C.

3. Aug 9, 2016 at 1:41 PM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    Ehh nah. Like Sean said, worthless investment. I jumped up from 255/65 P tire to 275/70 LT and it dropped 1 or 2 mpg.

Honestly though, you didn't buy a truck for its mpg. If you wanted good mpg, there are some nice Prius selections out there.
    Good thing about tundras are they're so reliable. The less nbr of shop visits and headaches more than make up for the mpg. Had a Silverado and the mpg is the same. My cousins f150 gets the same as I do. You're fine, don't sweat it and keep on trucking.

zcarpenter92 likes this.
  4. Aug 9, 2016 at 2:07 PM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    +5 MPG and +35 HP.....ummm not.

My guess is you didn't actually lose that much MPG. Rather your speedometer is now no longer as accurate. About the only way to verify it is to fill up, drive a known distance, and then fill up again. Either that or install the Hypertech speedometer calibration module.

5. Aug 9, 2016 at 2:21 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    See that's the wierd thing about my tundra. I checked on the gps before I changed tires and I was always 1 or 2 miles under what was showing on my speedo, but as soon as I upsized, it was spot on. The OP has exactly the same truck I have, I don't think he'd need the hypertech.
    I think they put those size tires on stock to make it seem like good mpg, when in reality, it's actually lower.

6. Aug 9, 2016 at 2:33 PM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    Those sneaky bastards :)

Law323[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Aug 9, 2016 at 2:44 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Smart though - from a business point of view that is :crapstorm:

8. Aug 10, 2016 at 5:21 AM
    scturndra

scturndra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    wall
    Vehicle:
    2012 tundra extra cab sr5 4.6v8
    After I upsized my tires from 255/70 to 275/70, I checked my speedometer with my Garmin GPS and the speed is dead nuts on.

What are yalls take on CAI's? I know the tundras come stock with one but is it the best option?

Law323 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top