1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Children of US Troops Born Overseas Will No Longer Get Automatic American Citizenship

Discussion in 'Military' started by War Machine, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Aug 29, 2019 at 4:31 AM
    War Machine

War Machine [OP] SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    It still begs a couple of questions though.

First of all, why is there such a thing as “non-citizen US service members”? I’m admittedly ignorant to most military policies, but in my uninformed opinion, serving in the US Military should automatically grant citizenship. The French have been doing it for almost 200 years.

Secondly, how do we benefit from placing any roadblocks whatsoever in front of our servicemen and women? If a soldier decides to adopt a child from a country he is serving in, I feel like it should be a done deal. If one of our marines makes the decision that this child should be part of his family and country, that’s good enough for me.

This comment is borderline, but I’ll just be honest with my feelings. As I see no other benefit to our country from this policy, there has to be some reason. I believe this is nothing more than testing the waters with the long term goal of modifying or abolishing the 14th amendment.

classiccat likes this.
  2. Aug 29, 2019 at 4:35 AM
    Bprose

Bprose Old member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra CM TRD
    That article is misleading, on purpose I think. I think the way it is written is to make it seem that any GOV employee is a United States citizen.
    You do not have to be a US citizen to work for the GOV. Be it military, consulate office, etc
    So if you are not a USC and have a child abroad citizenship is not automatic to your child.
    If you ARE a USC and have a child abroad then citizenship is transferred to your child. It’s called jus sanguinis. Means by blood.
    However that USC parent has to have met certain residency requirements in the US.
    For example, USC parent has kid in mex, kid is USC. Kid never resides in US, has kid in mex, that kid is not a USC because parent hasn’t met residency requirements.
    Immigration law, is law. It’s complicated but cannot be changed arbitrarily, Congress has to change it.

Law323, Kerch71 and Rex Kramer like this.
  3. Aug 29, 2019 at 4:37 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    Is it still legal to marry your brother so you can become a member of Congress?

Asking for a friend.

4. Aug 29, 2019 at 4:40 AM
    Bprose

Bprose Old member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra CM TRD
    As far as military members getting automatic US citizenship, nope. They still need to naturalize. Definitely makes the process easier, but they still need to apply for citizenship.
    Same thing for adoptions, have to apply for citizenship for foreign adopted children. Not automatic. Gotta go through the hoops.
    Sort of like getting a drivers license, gotta go through the process.

War Machine[OP] likes this.
  5. Aug 29, 2019 at 4:54 AM
    Kerch71

Kerch71 Surgical Precision

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM SC TRD Pro/ICON/Total Chaos Build
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    This is the current LAW under INA:
    Chapter 4 - Automatic Acquisition of Citizenship after Birth (INA 320)
    [1]
    A child born outside of the United States automatically becomes a U.S. citizen when all of the following conditions have been met on or after February 27, 2001: [2]

• The child has at least one parent, including an adoptive parent [3] who is a U.S. citizen by birth or through naturalization;

• The child is under 18 years of age;

• The child is a lawful permanent resident (LPR); [4] and

• The child is residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent. [5]
    This cannot be changed, as far as I know, without Congressional approval. The article, I agree, is intentionally misleading. Someone (orange idiot) is kicking the hornets nest again....wow, that's really surprising.o_O

Ostrich and War Machine[OP] like this.
  6. Aug 29, 2019 at 5:18 AM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    Only short term to assist in chain migration. Long term not advisable

7. Aug 29, 2019 at 7:00 AM
    Digodell

Digodell New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    This is absolutely Fake news. Read the proposal

8. Aug 29, 2019 at 7:11 AM
    Moon Puppy

Moon Puppy I'm not new!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited
    How this thread is still on a non political website I do not know.

9. May 26, 2021 at 6:25 PM
    9DivDoc

9DivDoc New Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD PRO CM MGM 2021 SKM CM Limited
    Me to...My mom was a nurse at the end of WW2 stationed in Honolulu...my dad was re-assigned there at the end of the war which he was in from beginning till the end in the Pacific...met my mom...got married.
    Mom wanted me born in the states so she went to San Diego waiting for my dad who got orders for San Diego...I just barely got born on the states. (I would have preferred Hawaii even if it wasn't a state at that time)

My younger brother born 5 yrs later came close to getting born in Coco Solo,Panama so kids like him would be out of luck under this new rule...very bad rule...demoralizing if true...

imo

equin[QUOTED] likes this.
To Top