1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Chemical guys maxi suds and carpet hydro2 today

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Pudge, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Oct 18, 2017 at 1:03 PM
    Pudge

Pudge [OP] Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Let me start by saying I didn't take any pics, didn't have my phone on me and was rushing to get done.
    First I lightly power Washed the truck. Using the 2 bucket method with grit guards I washed the whole thing with chemical guys cherry maxi suds. It was not as "sudsie" as I thought it would be, very little lather. I used the 1oz per 5 gallons recommended, and probably a tually had 4 gallons in it. Anyway it cleaned very nicely and rinsed off well. Good product.
    I wet the whole car down again and started to spray on my new bottle of hydro2. I mixed it at 6:1 as directed and rinsed it all within about 15 seconds. Worked my way around the car til I was done, keeping it all wet the whole time. Easy product to apply, very easy. Then I went around and dried the truck off. After dry I could see quite a bit of spotting and streaking running down from the top of the bedside and under windows, I rubbed a little harder with the microfiber to no avail. Ended up jsing some spot detailer spray to clean it up. Everything looks good now. The finish is smooth and shiny, not deep like a wax but it looks great.
    One issue is where the stuff got sprayed onto the windows. It may have dried quicker there before I got it rinsed well and it look some elbow grease and window cleaner to remove the film it left. I still need to do the windshield.
    Next time I may mix it 10:1 and see how that goes. I also will used distilled water, I totally forgot that @WarEagleSteve told me to do that. My bad. One other issue may have been the car was too hot. It was in partial sun when I washed it. I moved to fill shade when I used the hydro2 spray but may not have allowed the paint to cool off enough.
    All in all I would recommend both of these products. They work as advertised and are easy to use.my hope is I'll get that 3 month protection from the hydro2 , which will carry me half way through the winter.

2. Oct 18, 2017 at 1:16 PM
    boardude

boardude I am Batman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [YODAGAN]
    2015 Inferno Ex-Pro
    I love CG products! I love the way they smell too. I use the strawberry marg wash followed by the banana butter wax. After the truck sits in the garage for a night the garage smells like a candy store and a 14 year olds lip gloss lol. I also switched to a spotless water system which means no drying! Dries clean and spotless. I use the hybrid V7 spray in between washes to keep the shine and wax in tact.

Oh and dont forget about the stripper scent interior spray! The wife actually likes it more than I lol

3. Oct 18, 2017 at 1:34 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Thanks guys. It's a learning experience. I'm glad it went as well as it did. It'll be better next time I'm sure.
    Any suggestions for a good glass cleaner for inside and out? I have stoner invisible glass, which works ok.

SouthBoundSteve likes this.
  4. Oct 18, 2017 at 1:34 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    my favorite :)

boardude[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Oct 18, 2017 at 1:36 PM
    boardude

boardude I am Batman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [YODAGAN]
    2015 Inferno Ex-Pro
    Not yet but I want to after seeing what the V7 detail spray can do. Once I blow through the grape and strawberry marg its next on my list lol

6. Oct 18, 2017 at 1:38 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Did I do something wrong with the cg soap? I didn't have much sir suds or scent. I read about how strong and delicious the smell is.

7. Oct 18, 2017 at 1:39 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Shitty pic. But it's shiny haha

20171018_160737.jpg

8. Oct 18, 2017 at 1:41 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I'm on city water. I don't think it's hard but maybe it is more so than I though.

9. Oct 18, 2017 at 1:50 PM
    boardude

boardude I am Batman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [YODAGAN]
    2015 Inferno Ex-Pro
    I use about 3 gallons of water in the soap bucket and do 2 full squirts from the 16 oz bottle, 3 if she's a real dirty girl. Sudds and smells for days

10. Oct 18, 2017 at 1:51 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    No, the other soaps I use give good suds. Maybe I need to use a harder spray with the hose? Or maybe put grit guard in after I mix the soap? Or use more soap?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  11. Oct 18, 2017 at 3:01 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys!!

12. Oct 18, 2017 at 3:04 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    What kind of protection should I be hoping for here Steve. As easy as it was to apply , if be happy with a month. But I here it's good for 3+ months.

13. Oct 18, 2017 at 3:12 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    It's garaged when I'm home. Sits outside when I'm at work 3 days a week, for 13 hrs a day, although I can search out covered parking.
    I live in CT, the sun, ice, snow, sand and salt, basically .... shit weather capital, as far as I'm concerned.

14. Oct 18, 2017 at 8:36 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    @WarEagleSteve
    Could my issue with some streaking and not getting a super shiny finish be from the fact that I had my truck waxed last month? Should I have clayed or even just used dawn dish soap before applying the hydro2? I'll probably try to do the hydro2 again before Xmas if I get a warm day. I'd assume by then the wax will be long gone, unless the hydro2 seals it on? I'm really clueless here. Just wondering what I should do for future applications. Thanks

15. Oct 21, 2017 at 9:31 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I'm very impressed with the hydro2. It seems to be smoother and shinier than it was the day I put it on. I went over the truck with a microfiber towel the other day , maybe that helped? It's just seems like it's hardened up. Maybe it takes a few days to cure? What do you say @WarEagleSteve ? Am I just losing my mind?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017

Products Discussed in

To Top