1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Check Engine Light - fuses blowing

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Jtut, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Jan 15, 2018 at 1:16 PM
    Jtut

Jtut [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tunda Limited Access Cab - Step Side TRD Off Road
    Non
    Good afternoon,

I kindly share with you my recent experiences in an effort to diagnose and resolve recent problems I am having with my 2005 Tundra Limited.

1st Occurrence: night of snow storm, coming home, I am in 4WD Hi, I make a left turn, and the car dies, check engine light goes on, A/T Temp light goes on, and car stalls. I go to start it and it won't start. It sounds like it wants to start, but doesn't stop at idling, just dies. After a few tries, it starts and I can drive it to where I need to go..... to the shop that is...

I bring it to my local Toyota Svc department the following morning. After 3 hrs of looking at it, they tell me the following "the pins on the ECM were not properly aligned" and that is why this happened... they fix it and I am on my way...

2nd Occurrence: a week later to the day from when I picked up the truck working, I am on my way to work, weather is clear, I am in 2WD, I make a left turn and the car dies again....same exact scenario as experienced in the first event. Same thing starting it too... I get it started and get it back to the local Toyota Svc.

This time, they have my car for two full days.... they were able to reproduce the fuse blowing (the ECM fuse they said??) by turning the wheel all the way to the right in the shop, not the left as I had experienced. They then proceeded to disassemble all the electronics and put them all back together.... now after driving it 10 miles or so, they say the problem is gone, and they cannot duplicate it. Yet, they have admitted that they have fixed nothing... they have no explanation and keep trying to say that because the Stereo is after market, it somehow may be responsible for this problem....but they honestly don't know.... FYI, the Stereo is 8 years old and has been working fine the whole time without any other technical problems....

So I ask..... any ideas what could be causing this kind of intermittent fuse blowing, or why the turning of the steering wheel could cause this?

Any insight anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time.
    John

2. Jan 16, 2018 at 5:58 PM
    Jtut

Jtut [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tunda Limited Access Cab - Step Side TRD Off Road
    Non
    It's the EFI fuse...

3. Jan 16, 2018 at 6:09 PM
    GavinG83

GavinG83 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra SR5
    When the fuel pump died on my truck it was blowing the EFI fuse. How much fuel is in the truck when it is happening? Could it be starving the pump going around the turn? Could be something to look at.

Slayer likes this.
  4. Feb 11, 2018 at 6:47 AM
    zombie

zombie Master at Something

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black DC 4x4
    To get my 2000 sr5 to pass inspection with an srs light on, I wired it into the check engine light to come on and go off like it's supposed to. On the way back home I blew the EFI fuse. Don't do that. If you can conjure up a wiring diagram to see all what runs off that fuse, that might help you out. Go under the hood while it's running and wiggle and tug on the wire harness, and near sensors. Ford calls it the wiggle test on the computer scanner. It can be as simple as a little corrosion on one tiny sensor, been there.

Products Discussed in

To Top