1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Changing to a comfortable seat in my 2006

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Ibby, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Feb 27, 2020 at 7:25 AM
    Ibby

Ibby [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra
    I’m looking into changing my seats. I have unpowered cloth with a console. I need it purely for comfort reasons, I’m way too big and tall for current seat and they’re just uncomfortable, not to mention I constantly feel like I’m going to launch out the windshield. Looking for a leather power seat with maximum comfort. Changing what’s there for a power leather Tundra upgrade is fine but I’m not opposed to a split bench either, if they still make such a thing. Of course plug and play is easiest but I’m not opposed to modification as long as I don’t have to be a member of Mensa to figure it out. Anyone have some ideas? Sequoia? Lexus? Hell, Caddi? LOL! Truthfully one of the most comfortable seats ever IMHO are seats from a Honda Pilot but I’m sure that would be a swap over nightmare! I’d appreciate hearing from someone with experience doing these things. Thanks!

revtune likes this.
  2. Feb 27, 2020 at 7:51 AM
    KarmaKannon

KarmaKannon Master of None

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab w/long travel
    Some junk
    You can shim the front seat brackets where they bolt to the floor with washers to lean your seat bottoms back. That helps with the falling forward feeling. I got that tip from @Professional Hand Model

I did katzkin leather in my 06 and it has made it more comfortable in my opinion, but it's still a manual seat and it's still more or less the same shape. @Tohopko is doing roadwire leather in his 04 any day now too.

Beyond those two ideas i think you'd be looking at having a shop add foam and such where you want it or like you mentioned swapping in some different seats.

3. Feb 27, 2020 at 9:49 AM
    revtune

revtune New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Houston Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra 4.7 AC 2wd
    2006 Tundra: Stock air intake 3 inch catback Magnaflow 13742 2.5 inch front lift 1.5 inch rear blocks 2014 sr5 4Runner wheels (17x7) 1.5 inch hub centric wheel spacers p285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 Weathertech floor liners

I would be interested in this too. I’m 6’4 with a 36 inseam. Just be glad you have an 06 because they changed the bucket seats in the 05-06 models. I changed my 02 seat to an 06 bucket. The 02 was god awful for tall people. The 06 is at least “livable”.

4. Feb 27, 2020 at 9:59 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    You can stuff Wurrld Peas insulation in the back lumbar portion to give a better support there. Also, same things goes around the pan portion perimeter of the cushion which helps build up stiffness, yet the center remains soft on the bum. All cheap ideas which help keep people from screaming at sky.

KarmaKannon likes this.
  5. Feb 27, 2020 at 10:04 AM
    SoCalPaul

SoCalPaul New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    San Fernando Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra Access Cab Limited 4wd.
    Front Bilstein 6112 shocks & Bilstein springs. Rear Bilstein 5160 remote Reservoir shocks, Wheeler’s Off-road add-a-leafs. LED lighting. Pioneer Avic 7200NEX Nav Head unit. Borla cat back exhaust.
    An auto upholstery shop can often work wonders with your current seat.

6. Feb 27, 2020 at 6:51 PM
    tmac58star

tmac58star New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black 1st generation Tundra SR5 Access Cab
    I put a used drivers electric bucket in my 2000 Tundra. Looked at some Sequoia seats, too...but all those I found were pretty roached. The used seat was from an 03 I think, it was plug and play except for the seat wiring. I found the two main power leads in the seat harness and wired them through a fuse to the battery. Now I have all functions except power lumbar, which makes my truck livable on long trips...the old cloth manual bucket just didn't cut it for my 6'3" frame, 250+ lbs., and long legs with beat up knees. Still don't like the bump up under your left foot in the 1st gen Tundra floorpans though...that foot gets stiff after awhile.
    I'd love it if I could wind the seat back another 1-2 inches. That would be perfect. Paid about $75 for the 03 seat at a scrapyard...had to drive a ways to get it.

KarmaKannon likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top