1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Change water pump?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by 04DCTundraMan, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Jun 28, 2020 at 1:49 PM
    04DCTundraMan

04DCTundraMan [OP] Crimedog McGriff

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2004 Salsa Red Tundra Limited DC
    Sony Head Unit, Pioneer Speakers, Back up camera, Blacked out Emblems, SPC Control Arms, OME 2.5" front lift, 1.5" rear spacer, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, LineX bedliner
    Been going back and making a notebook of detail maintenance notes of services by miles. Pulled up my receipt from Toyota for having the timing belt replaced and had a few questions for you guys.

I had my timing belt and “all drive belts” replaced, not entirely sure exactly which belts that included, back in June of 2018 @ 148k. Toyota said it was cracked and was past their 8 or 9 year old new rule of thumb. So didn’t wanna play when they said cracked. Had it replaced as well as all drive belts but the work order said, “water pump not leaking, not replaced.” Now I’m worried I may have missed an opportunity, without realizing at the time, to replace it and wondering if I should spend the cash to do the preventative maintenance. It’s been 30k since then, so another 60k before recommenced timing belt needs replacing. So not an ideal time. And I’m planning on having my tranny drip fixed so that’s a nice set back that I feel is higher priority at this time.

So at 177.5k, should I replace the water pump out of caution sooner or later? Is that something Toyota even monitors when doing multi point inspections?

2. Jun 28, 2020 at 2:00 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    If you start noticing the WP dripping and leaving Pink Cack Crustys along the bottom edges then replace it. Otherwise just stay the course and keep an eye on your coolant levels.

YardBird likes this.
  3. Jun 28, 2020 at 2:07 PM
    04DCTundraMan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    Sony Head Unit, Pioneer Speakers, Back up camera, Blacked out Emblems, SPC Control Arms, OME 2.5" front lift, 1.5" rear spacer, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, LineX bedliner
    Ok cool thanks! I’ll go check it now and start monitoring. Go ahead and take some pics for reference.

4. Jun 28, 2020 at 2:12 PM
    04DCTundraMan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    Where exactly am I looking haha? I don’t see pink crusty stuff so I got that going for me. I know it’s up top and behind the timing belt but hard to see at this angle maybe?

87E7E792-3729-4470-95C8-6874376687AF.jpg

YardBird likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top