1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Center armrest removal

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by KissMyAxe1, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Mar 6, 2020 at 12:38 PM
    KissMyAxe1

KissMyAxe1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2008 Black Tundra SR5 Crewmax
    So, I've searched around, and I haven't seen a write up for how to remove the center armrest and replace the cover on it. So hopefully the few pictures I took explain things well enough.

I'm not sure if this translates to all tundras, just 2nd gen tundras, or the various cab sizes. I have a 2008 crewmax cab. I'd assume it's the same for all 2nd gens, but not 100% sure.

Step 1: we need to remove the backside of the center console/armrest
    20200225_175934.jpg
    To do this, we need to apply pressure from the bottom (floor) and push up. I used a flathead screwdriver. I pulled the top part back first, but after pulling it off, I learned how all the clips are angled, so I'm really lucky I didnt break anything.
    20200225_180352.jpg
    Theres 7 or 8 clips, they're all angled down, so it's easy to wedge a screwdriver under the back and pull up, popping out all the clips.

Step 2: undo the screws holding the armrest into the center console area. (Philip's screwdriver)
    20200225_180404.jpg
    Theres 8 screws holding this on. Once these are out, the armrest lid comes right off!

Step 3: remove plastic trim pieces from the underside of the armres .
    20200225_181647.jpg
    There are smaller Philip's head screws all around the outside end. For now, you only need to remove the screws on the back piece of plastic that loops around the back side armrest. This will slide back and off after removing the screws.
    20200225_182618.jpg
    I pulled the back piece apart (the back plastic piece of the armrest you see from on top) this has several clips along both sides, it was a pain to pull off without breaking anything.
    There were some screws holding in the back piece of plastic that covers the hinge mounting arms. Once you pull those out, the back piece of plastic should just come of .
    20200225_182908.jpg
    With that bottom piece off, you should be able to pull put the 4 screws that hold the hinge part on, and then there's 8 screws total that hold the sliding rails to the armrest. You'll have to pull out the 4 screws visible with the armrest tucked in, then slide the armrest out to find the other 4 screws. Once those are out, this all come off, leaving just the latching mechanism.
    20200225_183338.jpg
    The handle is just wedged between the 2 posts, just carefully pry those apart and pull the handle out. You can remove the rest if you want, but I didn't.

The next part is remove the old cover. It's just glued on, some pulling should be all you need.
    20200225_183720.jpg
    20200225_184051.jpg

I got a leather cover from ebay, but you basically just glue the new on on, fold the covers around, make sure everything is tight and put it back together. I somehow ended up with 2 extra screws, but not sure where from. I also cut a piece of foam to put in there to make this more comfy to rest my arm on. Now my elbow never gets sore!

armrest.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    tbutler likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top