1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cement color matched bumper caps

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Cement_Trd, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Dec 23, 2018 at 7:47 AM
    bigzrs01

bigzrs01 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement CM
    Thanks man, it was a relatively easy process. I didn’t even take the caps off the front bumper because I was lazy.

My thought process on the bumper caps (both front and rear) was why the hell would I spend $1000+ for painted plastic caps when I’m more than likely going to upgrade the bumper at some point while owning the truck.

Oh, and be on the look out for BumperShellz here in the near future. Read and follow this thread to stay updated...
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/cov...bumpers-bumpershellz.33261/page-3#post-854743

2. Dec 26, 2018 at 5:27 PM
    Big Yota

Big Yota New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4 Blazing Blue Pearl
    Cap (soon)
    I'm having a hard time understanding why OP is shocked at the difference in paint color. What were you expecting, a perfect match? I'm willing to bet that if you took 10 cement colored trucks produced in the same model year but each built in a different month the odds of those 10 trucks matching perfectly would be slim to none. Have you ever had a body shop repair a damaged car you own? Lets say your drivers door needs a repair. You do know that rear door and front fender also get painted. If your front bumper need paint then 1/2 of the hood and half of each front fender get painted as well. That's why the repair is a nice match to the adjacent panels. They paint the surrounding panels with the new paint to make it all match. So if you want the caps to match your truck ask the painter of the caps for a quart of his paint and have a guy locally respray the front 1/4 of your truck. It will all match then. You're welcome!

3. Dec 26, 2018 at 6:06 PM
    jwm9289

jwm9289 New Member

Member:

They are way off!

4. Dec 26, 2018 at 6:06 PM
    Cement_Trd

Cement_Trd [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD offroad
    Cement color match (dechrome), Tyger Side steps, TRD rear sway bar, Black badging (dechrome), TRD dual exhaust
    I do understand color blending when a repair on a vehicle is done. I also do understand that when someone has something painted to match like front grille or fender flares the body shop does not blend the paint into the vehicle. The 2017 trd pro cement color hood buldge and surround does not perfectly match but its pretty close. But Something that is several shades lighter does not match. And paint blending this color into the truck would not even be close.

@SparksParts did get back to me and they are providing a prepaid return label and offering to have the bumper caps redone to match better. I cannot complain with the customer service they have offered.

Here are some photos to better understand the color difference.
    20181226_163943.jpg

20181226_163716.jpg

KnuckleHD and Vizsla like this.
  5. Dec 26, 2018 at 6:09 PM
    Cement_Trd

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD offroad
    Cement color match (dechrome), Tyger Side steps, TRD rear sway bar, Black badging (dechrome), TRD dual exhaust
    Yes they are thank you for acknowledging the fact they are not even close.
    Ive taken several photos in different lighting conditions and weather conditions and its just bugging the crap out of me. I had a guy ask me the other day if I was going for a 2 tone look on my truck.

Vizsla likes this.
  6. Dec 26, 2018 at 6:26 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:

Tony v, Lake.Life24, RickC and 2 others like this.
  7. Dec 26, 2018 at 7:56 PM
    Pigglet222

Pigglet222 New Member

Member:
    I have three different shades on mine, all ordered from your same source. I knew this going into it though, and that the different materials, etc. would yield different shades.

Funny thing is, once you notice this you finally see it on other trucks pictured here on this sight. Before knowing it, I never noticed.

527638CB-956E-47C0-B491-263A0695E6BB.jpg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    mojojo and bigzrs01 like this.
  8. Dec 26, 2018 at 11:30 PM
    panicman

panicman Everyone remain calm.

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM TRDoffroad MGM
    Some variation is to be expected, but you’re right-
    That’s just too light and draws the eye.

Props to SparksParts for their willingness to work with you. That says a lot about them!

9. Dec 27, 2018 at 2:52 AM
    Cement_Trd

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD offroad
    Yes it does. The later in the evening it is the more you can tell. Yes sparks didnt hesitate to offer to have them sent back on there cost of shipping and have them redone just took them a bit to get back to me. What I do not understand is why toyota offers the hood buldge and surround painted to match but not the bumper caps.

If only I just purchased the sport model in MGM instead of liking the cement so much.... the chrome removal and hassle would have been spent on other truck mods.

10. Dec 27, 2018 at 4:48 AM
    RickC

RickC NOT a new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax Platinum 4x4 5.7
    SCS Wheels, Line-X, WeatherTech, UnderCover Flex bed cover
    The comment about painting half the hood and fender is not true. No one paints half of a panel because if they did, the panel itself would not match. You would also see the tape line where it was taped off. Body shops will paint an entire panel.

The issue here is the difference that paint colors take on depending on the base. That base is the type of surface such as metal, plastic, or fiberglass, as well as the primer base color. Some body shops do a great job in matching paint color based on what they are painting, some do not.

I have noticed in pics here where folks are paint matching and I can see they don't match well sometimes. Even coming from the factory, the front grills and hood bulge do not match perfectly and the trick for us is to get it as close as possible which is difficult without having the vehicle. Some colors are more difficult to match than others and the most difficult is probably silver.

B737 and bigzrs01 like this.
  11. Dec 27, 2018 at 6:48 AM
    Big Yota

Big Yota New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Cap (soon)
    RickC have you ever painted a car with professional equipment? Modern BC/CC painting is blended in when repair work is done. So painting 1/2 a hood, fender or door is standard practice in the auto repair business. Otherwise you would have the exact same complaint you see in this thread except on a massive scale. Most people wont ever notice that one half the fender or hood doesn't match because they are looking for the match to be between the bumper and the fender. They don't know that half the fender and hood got re-painted. You now know to look.

It is just common sense that paint manufactured by different suppliers at different times using different paint formulas by different paint suppliers is just is not going to be a perfect match. They can't do it at Home Depot between gallons of paint for your house. Even though they have the old gallon of paint in front of them and a paint scanner. How do you expect the automotive paint supplier to do it with the vehicle maybe 20 miles away?

The manufacturers spitting out new cars cant get certain body panels to match and they use the same paint supplier and standardize the colors for a model year. Although some parts are bolted on the chassis and painted together, other parts are manufactured and finished across country and meet at the assembly plant for final assembly. The paint match is deemed "close enough" and considered "Industry Standard". Your high end exotics just have a higher degree of "close enough" because you are paying more for it.

12. Dec 27, 2018 at 7:57 AM
    panicman

panicman Everyone remain calm.

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM TRDoffroad MGM
    From having several cars repaired over the last 20 years, all of the body shops shot the whole panel. Bumpers were simply replaced with new and matched paint. Rear quarters were taped off at the door jambs. My Tundra got a deep ding smaller than a golf ball in the side of the bed, and they had to re shoot the whole bed side, new decal, plastic trim, and all.

I think shooting metalics complicates it too, as the color can match but the metal flake won’t be the same and can actually be oriented in the finish differently depending on how it was shot.

13. Dec 27, 2018 at 11:09 AM
    Big Yota

Big Yota New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Cap (soon)
    I agree with you on the metal flake. Having painted cars in the past I know that the metallic paint flop is an art. Having good friends who are in the business of painting cars as a profession "blending" is how its done. I'll leave it at that.

14. Dec 27, 2018 at 11:12 AM
    RickC

RickC NOT a new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax Platinum 4x4 5.7
    SCS Wheels, Line-X, WeatherTech, UnderCover Flex bed cover
    I haven't painted with professional equipment. I do have a friend that has ran a Ford body shop and now his own body shop for almost 40 years. I have owned, wrecked, repainted, hot rodded and modded many over the years. I just have not seen anyone paint half a panel. I don't see how that could be done with the sand and primer prep and it not affect the other painted/clear coat part of the panel. I have seen them blend, but at a seam such as a full panel or door jamb.

Cement_Trd[OP] likes this.
  15. Dec 27, 2018 at 1:23 PM
    Cement_Trd

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD offroad
  16. Dec 27, 2018 at 1:40 PM
    Big Yota

Big Yota New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Cap (soon)
    You may want to talk to your friend then. Maybe even better is to stop by his shop so he can show you how it's done. Even though only 1/2 the adjoining panel would get painted the base coat (color) the entire panel gets re-cleared (clearcoat). The only time one would simply paint the actual damaged piece is if customer is willing to accept the paint color mismatch. Problem is most customers don't want to accept the mismatch. Case in point of this thread. original poster is lucky that supplier is willing to give it another try. Wondering who is eating the cost of the material. These components are expensive. Last time I priced out a gallon of base color coat it was $700/gallon. That's not even the good stuff.

17. Jan 3, 2019 at 11:15 PM
    Tony v

Tony v Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 CrewMax
    Solution: go black. 594C590C-294F-457F-AA63-8EDFCA68B863.jpg

18. Jan 5, 2019 at 4:53 AM
    Capt J-Rod

Capt J-Rod New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD Off Road Crew Max SR5 Tundra
    Husky Floor Mats, Diamond back lid, Coverking seat covers, More gas.
    But once you go black?....

19. Jan 5, 2019 at 8:13 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    That came out looking great. A good balance of looking clean without being a monochromatic blob like many trucks end up around here.

Tony v[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Jan 5, 2019 at 5:40 PM
    Bergmen

Bergmen New Member

Member:
    Ukiah, California
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Pearl DC 4X2 SR5
    I got my painted bumper end caps from Sparks (Blazing Blue Pearl) and they appear perfectly matched to me (also got the bulge and surround at the same time).

I would definitely have them make it right, they are supposed to be color match perfectionists (from what I understand).

20180813_170019.jpg

21. Jan 5, 2019 at 6:57 PM
    Cement_Trd

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD offroad
    Yours looks like a perfect match! I have contacted them and they sent me a rma to send them back to have them re done. They are shipping out monday and hopefully not a really long turn around time. Thank you for the support.

22. Jan 6, 2019 at 9:15 AM
    Dano8855

Dano8855 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited
    Glad to hear they are working with you to get it corrected.

Cement_Trd[OP] likes this.
  23. Jan 6, 2019 at 9:18 AM
    Bergmen

Bergmen New Member

Member:
    Ukiah, California
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Pearl DC 4X2 SR5
    Is there a small cement piece on your truck that can be included with the RMA so they can perfectly match it? Not sure, but is the piece just below your headlight (and above the non-matching bumper end cap) easily removable?

Your truck will look like it has a couple of teeth missing when it grins but you won't know it from the cockpit.

Dan

24. Oct 23, 2020 at 4:23 PM
    Shaff777

Shaff777 Rocking the Tundra since 2010

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Boise
    Vehicle:
    2020 cement SR5
    Boss 2.5 Aluma kit. SPC UCA’s Color matched front surround Scs Ray 10 wheels. Cooper AT3 XLT’s 295/70/18
    Hey guys- just got my end caps powdered. It’s not an exact match to cement- but pretty dang close. They look awesome....If anyone is looking to do the same I can give you the prismatic powder code that we used.
    upload_2020-10-23_17-19-19.jpg

5BFEF007-978B-401D-8ECD-28C3CA19F26F.jpg

25. Dec 11, 2021 at 8:46 AM
    normagene

normagene New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Normagene
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement DC Limited Texas Edition
    Texas Edition
    I thought about getting the caps. Since I had some left over Plasti-dip from a few years back I figured I’d give it a shot just to see how it looks and if it holds up.

I was already taking it apart to swap out the grille surround and hood bulge and swapping out the fog lights with the black pro ones so why not try it out.

After I dipped the grille insert, the center portion of the black plastic where the front license plate mounts, and the fender caps I sprayed several coats over the dip of Rust-Oleum Matte Clear Enamel.

So far it hasn’t had any issues such as nicks or chips from road debris. A few days ago with 20/30 mph wind gusts I’m cruising along like 65 mph and off to the side I see this big white plastic tube whipping across the field and right into the road directly coming at me. Sure enough it hit the passenger side front bumper cap before being crushed by my tires.

Looked it over the next day, it was too dark to really look the truck over when I got home, and I could see where the impact occurred but I was able to simply wipe off the whiteish residue and there was no damage to the dip/finish.

Obviously the caps are not color matched but I used the same color dip on the badge overlays, running boards/steps, and also inside on the air vent rings, and shift console area.

So far so good! Then again it’s only been like 3 months.

E970496E-9375-4F25-9245-DAB9F788DBE7.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top