1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CEL when it wet outside

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Paul1479, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Mar 31, 2017 at 5:16 PM
    Paul1479

Paul1479 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2008 tundra DC
    None yet bought 5 months ago only upgraded stereo
    HI all
    So I bought a 2008 tundra DC trd 6 months ago (no mods yet just removed stock stereo for now)with 72,000 and when I hit 75,000 CEL came on and got a code p0012 now my mechanic told me he is going to reset and for me to monitor when the light came back on so 1200 miles 76,201 later CEL came back on p0012 and shut off 2 days later by itself was a nice warm day and now 79,000 miles 2800 miles later raining and snowing CEL came on again this only happens when it's raining or snowing anybody know of or have a similar issue with there 2008 tundra let me know please cause I have a warranty that I paid for when I bought the used tundra and would like to use that instead of money out of my pocket

2. Mar 31, 2017 at 5:27 PM
    JMB

JMB Not new, just a little old.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tundra DC
    5100s all around, 295-70-18 Defenders, 1.25 Spidertrax spacers, BD reverse lights, de-badged, interior LEDs, footwell LEDs, reverse LEDs, ARE cap, front receiver hitch for cooler holder, cooler holder/rod rack, backup camera, Kenwood HU, Westin nerf bars, Husky floor liners, folding rear seats, remote battery posts, plastidip grill chrome, Powder coat bumpers.
    Don't know what the code is, but my wife had a dodge many years ago that the oil pressure light came on when it rained. Turned out to be a crack in the plug to the sensor.

3. Mar 31, 2017 at 5:41 PM
    Paul1479

Paul1479 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2008 tundra DC
    Jmb the code says camshaft position sensor but I've been researching a lot of different things and found out that 2008 thru 10 toyota tundras have had an issue with the airpump injection system and called toyota corporate and they were really cool and told me that it could be possibly triggering that code from moisture and the computer may need to be updated or flashed whatever that means and possibly the airpump may need to be fixed there sending me everything I need to bring it to the dealer to be checked on them free of charge and that since my truck only has 79,000 mile I'm still eligible up to 150,000 or March 31st of 2018 from the first day the original owner drove off the lot

4. Mar 31, 2017 at 5:44 PM
    JMB

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    5100s all around, 295-70-18 Defenders, 1.25 Spidertrax spacers, BD reverse lights, de-badged, interior LEDs, footwell LEDs, reverse LEDs, ARE cap, front receiver hitch for cooler holder, cooler holder/rod rack, backup camera, Kenwood HU, Westin nerf bars, Husky floor liners, folding rear seats, remote battery posts, plastidip grill chrome, Powder coat bumpers.
    Man, love it when the warranty works.

5. Mar 31, 2017 at 5:46 PM
    Paul1479

Paul1479 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2008 tundra DC
    Yea me too, I just hope that's what it is

JMB likes this.
  6. Mar 31, 2017 at 5:47 PM
    JMB

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    Good luck, you never know 'til it's done!

7. Mar 31, 2017 at 5:48 PM
    Paul1479

Paul1479 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2008 tundra DC
    Thanks man

8. Aug 21, 2018 at 7:57 AM
    NHGUY

NHGUY New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RICK
    Vehicle:
    2008 TUNDRA
    STOCK
    Searching for 2 days for a problem similar to this. I basically just had a similar issue with my 08 tundra. Worried and concerned because I just purchased 2 months ago plus and beyond the warranty by 7 months, but under on miles with 109,000. If the air intake is the problem?? My low gas light was on, and I made a trip to ER feeling terrible last week. Didn't stop to fill. Came home and parked for 3-4 days. Monsoon rains and high humidity here in NH during this time. (5-6 " a day). Had to run a errand on Sunday, dry and sunny. Backed out of driveway, I live on top of 1.5 mile long 25% steep hill. Only a 75 yds on top, no need to use throttle, until bottom of hill. Had to start up a small incline, and it felt like the floor mat was under the gas pedal, I tried to pull out and get on a little, nothing, did again, really got it, when I noticed the CEL on, then the engine mait. light. I knew I needed to change oil, about 300 miles over. Gas station only a mile down the road. Only put in 25.00 @ 3.30 a gallon. most in area. Checked oil, fine. Went straight home, top speed up the big hill 20 MPH. Started the research. Unhooked battery overnight. Cleaned terminals put back on. Started as usual, CEL off, drove fine. Plenty of of power. 5.7L. Went to auto zone and had them scan, no codes. Brought it back to where I bought, explained, they said the gas sender location with low fuel going down the steep hill could have sent false reading to computer sending truck into limp. Resetting should correct problem. Not convinced. But this is the first post I have found about moisture, besides one improper fill sender cap seal. Sender location, excessive rains, very low fuel, makes sense with tech that this could issue a reading. Still concerned because I'm beyond the extended warranty from Toyota. I am a newbie, and looking for any input from fellow toyota owners, mechanics, members. I can still purchase a 2 year extended warranty that would cover this cost, from the people I purchased from. Cost is 2000. I've heard the fix can run 4 to 6 grand. A 4 year plan is 3500.00. I passed when I purchased. Thinking these are rip offs. I financed 5000 of the 17,000 purchase price, in case I may want to dump, or buy warranty. Didn't expect an issues, love my Toyota's. So far. Car Fax on this is good, all service done at local dealer. No issues noted. 2 small fender benders, repaired. Thought I did well for 17,500.00. with 105,000 miles, and new frame. Did not know about the air intake issues. Moisture, low fuel, realize the 26.4 gallon tank pump inside, light comes on with 4 gallons left. Topped off yesterday, estimate had about 1.5 gallons in tank. Yes I was pushing it, felt lousy. Never do again. Help.
    Thanks, Rick

Products Discussed in

To Top