1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CBI Front Bumper - Meh

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by SwampThing, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Jun 18, 2021 at 7:53 AM
    SwampThing

SwampThing [OP] New Member

Member:
    Just got my bumper. It got here in less time than the estimated lead so that was great. However, there are no instructions. Anyone have instructions for the install?

It was damaged in shipping so maybe they were lost, but I doubt it based on the damage locations. Probably more likely someone just forgot to pack it. I believe I have all the hardware that came in a bag.

I found a CBI video detailing the removal of the stock front bumper, but nothing on installing the new one. The only instructions I see on their website are for Tacomas and 4Runners.

I also haven’t been able to get responses from CBI via phone or email for the past few months. I know things are busy right now, but the customer service experience has been pretty bad so far.

I’m sure I can figure it out on my own, but I think something like this really should come with instructions. It’s not like it’s putting on seat covers or something, it’s a bit more involved than that. Instructions will save me time and headaches.

Maybe I just overlooked the instructions and they’re out on the web somewhere? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    equin, Jyoung992, AggiePhil and 3 others like this.
  2. Jun 18, 2021 at 7:58 AM
    TXTundra2722

TXTundra2722 Pipe Hitters Union

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra
    I don't know what their bumper looks like off hand.... but it couldn't be that complicated. I have SS built bumpers that tuck in super close with the lower support getting cut off and the steering cooler moved.... aside from that its just hanging the bumper and then bolting it on.... super easy.

3. Jun 18, 2021 at 8:00 AM
    SwampThing

Member:
    Yeah like I said, I’m sure I can figure it out on my own. However, having some instructions would save me some time and headaches.

IndianaGeologist likes this.
  4. Jun 18, 2021 at 8:02 AM
    TXTundra2722

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra
    There is only 4 bolts on each side so if you have the removal instructions for factory all down.... you literally just hang it and bolt it up

20210507_142702.jpg

Y0TA PR0 and AggiePhil like this.
  5. Jun 18, 2021 at 8:47 AM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Some bumpers use the crush cans, some don't. Some use extra mounts like transport anchor point bolts, some don't. Some use factory fog lights and some don't. Lots of reasons why a little instruction sheet for a quick review would be ideal. I think you are on the right track op. Hang tight someone will likely chime in.

equin, AggiePhil, DIYDad and 4 others like this.
  6. Jun 18, 2021 at 9:49 AM
    SwampThing

Member:
    TXTundra2722 and 2mchfun like this.
  7. Jun 20, 2021 at 11:28 AM
    November Sun

November Sun New Member

Member:
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited Crew Max
    Pro Comp 7" Stage 1 Lift, 20" Fuel Wheels, Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, King 2.5's, Custom Alcan Leafs, Coachbuilder Steering Kit, CBI Baja Front Bumper, NSV Light Bar, TRD Pro Intake, Southeast States Wireless Phone Charger Coachbuilder Plus 3 Shackles, Wheeler's Bumpstops, BAM 8" Exhaust, BAM Bomb Tip, Headlight Revolution LEDs everywhere, Warn EVO 12K Winch, Diode Dynamics SAE Fogs and Combo Light Bar
    It took three of us to get the bumper on, it was heavy as hell. Once you get the stock bumper off, just hang it on the front studs of the frame horns, tighten them first then tighten the two on the
    Bottom that used to hold your stock tow hooks on.

it was more work getting the stock stuff off than installing the new one.

It was pretty self explanatory.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    Vang530, Saltyhero13 and TXTundra2722 like this.
  8. Jun 20, 2021 at 12:09 PM
    TXTundra2722

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra
    Nice! Glad that you got this knocked out.... that must be one heavy ass bumper!

9. Jun 20, 2021 at 12:11 PM
    November Sun

November Sun New Member

Member:
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited Crew Max
    Pro Comp 7" Stage 1 Lift, 20" Fuel Wheels, Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, King 2.5's, Custom Alcan Leafs, Coachbuilder Steering Kit, CBI Baja Front Bumper, NSV Light Bar, TRD Pro Intake, Southeast States Wireless Phone Charger Coachbuilder Plus 3 Shackles, Wheeler's Bumpstops, BAM 8" Exhaust, BAM Bomb Tip, Headlight Revolution LEDs everywhere, Warn EVO 12K Winch, Diode Dynamics SAE Fogs and Combo Light Bar
    it weighs about 190lbs, added a 12000lb winch lights and lightbar, probably ended up around 300lbs

D57A0AEE-6121-4AAE-B091-20F113444D3D.jpg

10. Jun 20, 2021 at 1:51 PM
    November Sun

November Sun New Member

Member:
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited Crew Max
    Let me also add that my TSS Adaptive cruise control and parking sensors work exactly like stock. I was afraid that the bumper was going to
    obstruct the Radar Head but it did not. Saved me a few bucks not having to purchase the Pro Grill.

One more thing. CBI said that I could chop up my stock led fog lights to make them work but I saw no way to mount them and ended up
    replacing the fogs with Diode Dynamics SAE fogs.

I contacted CBI several times by phone and they were always helpful.

This is my second bumper from them, had one on my 3rd gen 4Runner too.

Oh, and to the OP, there were no Instructions included

11. Jun 20, 2021 at 7:06 PM
    SwampThing

Member:
    Got it installed today. Definitely would still have benefited from some instructions. Honestly, just a diagram showing bolts, nuts, and torque specs would be great.

Not sure why, but there’s two types of tiny bolts for the fog section. One type is tapered, the other is flat head. I’m assuming there’s a reason for one or the other, but it wasn’t obvious to me.

My fairlead did not work with the provided hardware nor did the stock fogs. Going to mount some Baja Designs instead. The bumper is advertised to work with OEM fogs, but like you said, it looks like you’d need to modify them.

I also needed to do some trimming to fit the Warn 12s Platinum. @November Sun - did you need to trim anything to fit your winch? Also, what brand and model?

Did you use the extra threaded clips for the fairlead? There were five obvious points for them, but like 8 clips included. I’m assuming two of those extras were for the fairlead, but the steel in that area is twice as thick and the clips wouldn’t slip over it. Also, those two longer allen bolts were for that spot I’m guessing. However, they still wouldn’t be long enough to go through the fairlead and thread into the clip (if I could get it over the thick plate in that area).

The bumper also looks a bit uneven. Much more gap between the bumper and plastic on the passenger side than driver’s. I’ll probably loosen the bolts up and see if I can even it out. I think it has to do with the order I tightened the tow hooks bolts.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  12. Jun 21, 2021 at 7:28 AM
    300BLK

300BLK New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra SR5 - Black
    Would love to see some pictures if possible

13. Jun 21, 2021 at 7:42 AM
    SwampThing

Member:
    No fogs and crooked. I’ll post better pictures when I get those ugly issues sorted. New tires and wheels are sitting in my garage too.

upload_2021-6-21_10-42-21.jpg

D4x4TRD likes this.
  14. Jun 21, 2021 at 7:44 AM
    YotaBro

YotaBro This forum will make me broke

Member:
    First Name:
    Calvin
    FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Grey Tundra TRD PRO
    Lots of shenanigans.
    what was broken?

15. Jun 21, 2021 at 7:50 AM
    SwampThing

Member:
    Broken? Nothing broken. There were a bunch of areas where the powder coat was damaged in shipping if that’s what you’re asking. It was down to the steel in a lot of spots. I just sprayed it with rattle can.

16. Jun 21, 2021 at 7:51 AM
    YotaBro

Member:
    First Name:
    Calvin
    FL
    Vehicle:
    Lots of shenanigans.
    Yeah, thats what I meant. Sorry poor choice of words on my part. Do you have pics of it? Have you tried contacting them through the forum? (if they're on it)

17. Jun 21, 2021 at 7:53 AM
    SwampThing

Member:
    I snapped a few pics, but didn’t complain to them. It’s probably more the shipping company’s problem. CBI did a decent job of packaging it. Here’s one of the spots:

upload_2021-6-21_10-53-10.jpg

My gripe is more that there was zero documentation or instruction provided. Also, none available other than a video showing the OEM bumper removal. It is definitely helpful and I’m glad it’s out there though.

Things like the OEM fogs apparently need to be modified to fit when it’s listed as compatible (technically true I guess). Again, no instructions on what needs to be done for them to fit.

I did get a response from CBI. Not sure if this thread had anything to do with, but my previous attempts were not answered. They just pointed me at the OEM bumper removal video.

There isn’t a ton of hardware included, but enough is different and interchangeable that it makes you question where it should go. The main attachment points are obvious as discussed above, but the accessories could definitely use some explanation. Took me a while to figure out some included brackets are meant for a light bar. Still confused as to why there are two different types of screws included for the fog pockets.

For a $1,600 bumper, I expected at least a diagram or some written explanation. Not just a bag of hardware.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    equin, Black Wolf, YotaBro and 2 others like this.
  18. Jun 21, 2021 at 9:30 AM
    YotaBro

Member:
    First Name:
    Calvin
    FL
    Vehicle:
    Lots of shenanigans.
    Totally agree with you. I got a C4 bumper and had zero issues with it (shipping had zero issues as well) they provided a super detail video on YouTube.

as for the damage, I would notify them. For that amount of money they should provide a product in great condition like they advertise. If it comes damaged then they should compensate for the damages or provide another bumper. That’s just my .02, maybe I’m too picky but I feel like that would be unacceptable for the amount of money you spent. I’ve spend less money on other items online and they came damaged (no fault to the company) yet they almost always provide some sort of compensation or sent another one.

I’m also wondering what would happen in shipping where it would take such a large piece off the powder coat. I’m not an expert but I feel like powder coat shouldn’t come off that easily. Maybe others can better explain if that’s normal or not.

19. Jun 21, 2021 at 10:28 AM
    Cerberus

Cerberus New Member

Member:
    Fresno California
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tundra SR5
    35" Open Country R/T on 17" Method 703s, 3.5" level kit
    Not sure if this has been asked already, sorry if it has, but which cbi bumper is this? Looks awesome

20. Jun 21, 2021 at 11:12 AM
    November Sun

November Sun New Member

Member:
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited Crew Max
    I edited the quote.

I had an issue with this too, but I found that if you tighten the hanger bolts on the frame with the bumper hanging lowest on the slots first then tighten the tow hook bolts last it will even up. If you tighten the bottom bolts first it will tilt it up towards the body.)

Lookin at your pics, are you trying to install while parked on a slope? I did all this on level ground, If your truck is all twisted because of how its parked, that may be one of your issues.

CBI also told me that they designed this bumper to work with Baja Designs lights, I used Diode Dynamics in the fog position, I had to get creative but I took my time, I also use a DD 30" light bar and it fit no problems.

It sucks that the freight company scratched it up like that, I'd let CBI know. When I got mine it was wrapped up really well, It did have a few nics on it that I didn't notice until it was on the truck but no big deal for me.

Again, every time I called them, they were always there with the answers.

21. Jun 21, 2021 at 11:13 AM
    November Sun

November Sun New Member

Member:
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited Crew Max
    CBI Offroad Baja Bumper

22. Jun 21, 2021 at 11:33 AM
    SwampThing

Member:
    Thanks for the help!

I installed on flat ground. I just snapped that picture where it’s currently parked.

I knew those screws went in the fog pockets, but I received four of each type and there are 8 holes. So I’m guessing 2 and 2 on each side. I just don’t understand why there are two different screw types. All the holes are the same and none are countersunk for the tapered screws.

23. Jun 22, 2021 at 10:35 AM
    Cerberus

Cerberus New Member

Member:
    Fresno California
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tundra SR5
    35" Open Country R/T on 17" Method 703s, 3.5" level kit
    Thanks bro i'll definitely be looking into it, looks badass

24. Jun 22, 2021 at 10:56 AM
    Saltyhero13

Saltyhero13 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Fuel delete mod Cup holder upgrade
    Any word on their BSM compatible rear bumper?

RainMan_PNW likes this.
  25. Jun 22, 2021 at 8:02 PM
    November Sun

November Sun New Member

Member:
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited Crew Max
    Said it's still in development and not to hold my breath. LOL

Saltyhero13[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. Jul 2, 2021 at 2:39 PM
    SwampThing

Member:
    Update:

I remounted the bumper the best I could, but it’s still off. It was about 1.5” off before and I got that down to 1/2”. The OEM bumper was even so I’m guessing the CBI shifted in the welding jig or warped some other way.

The driver’s side mounting plate is bottomed out and the passenger is all the way at the top. I’m not taking this damn thing off again to measure it for square, I can live with it being a bit off.

I believe that’s what they told you, but I’m going to call BS on CBI designing this to work with Baja Designs (at least not their fogs). Just tried installing squadrons and they sit way too low.

No way it’s going to work with the stock BD hardware. I’m gonna need a much longer bolt and a spacer to get these aligned in the bumper cutout. Maybe it was meant for a larger, non-SAE BD version?

The saga continues. I’ll eventually get some finished pictures up :cool:

upload_2021-7-2_17-39-53.jpg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    Saltyhero13 likes this.
  27. Jul 2, 2021 at 3:44 PM
    panicman

panicman Everyone remain calm.

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM TRDoffroad MGM
    Swampthing- you now have the experience and hopefully some helpful images to tack together an installation thread for these bumpers. Do it!

SwampThing[OP] likes this.
  28. Jul 2, 2021 at 4:03 PM
    SwampThing

Member:
    Maybe when it’s finally done. Save yourself some frustration and get a C4 is what I think I’ve learned :D

Jyoung992 likes this.
  29. Jul 2, 2021 at 9:35 PM
    November Sun

November Sun New Member

Member:
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited Crew Max
    I had use longer bolts, nylon spacers and assorted washers to jack the lights up on (Diode Dynamics SS3's). I got everything at Lowes

SwampThing[OP] likes this.
  30. Jul 13, 2021 at 4:31 PM
    SwampThing

Member:
    I got the spacers today so here’s a couple pictures. If you’re in the market for a front bumper, I will tell you to look at other brands. However if you decide to get this bumper despite that suggestion, a 7/8” spacer would be about perfect for BD squadrons. I went with 15/16th and it’s just a hair too high. A 2” bolt works fine.

upload_2021-7-13_19-27-30.jpg
    upload_2021-7-13_19-30-17.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top