1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Careful with aftermarket headlight wiring harness

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by SoCalTundy, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Sep 2, 2020 at 1:07 PM
    SoCalTundy

SoCalTundy [OP] Member since 2017

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Icon Shocks. Total Chaos UCA. Deaver u748 TC shackles Flowmaster super 50. Diode Dynamics fogs. 5.29 Revolution Gears. SSW 17" wheels on BFG 35x12.5
    That looks like the harness or zip tie was digging into the pipe. Just a side note, the aluminum pipe has a foam wrap around it by the engine where it would rub against a side wall. I think that’s a sign nothing is to touch this pipe. I would check under the harness or zip tie even if you don’t see erosion.

2. Sep 2, 2020 at 6:49 PM
    manhster

manhster New Member

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    '17 Black CM 4x4 Ltd TRD OR
    The harness was against the pipe with enough pressure for it not to move around.

3. Sep 14, 2020 at 8:41 PM
    Yzed608

Yzed608 New Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    I checked mine today. It was totally fine but moved it just as a precaution.

4. Oct 16, 2020 at 3:42 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    This is an old thread, but I have my grille off working on my transmission cooler install, so I decided to fix this issue while everything is apart.

Disconnecting the @iHacker harness inside the cabin (dimming harness) is problematic because the terminal end was installed after the harness wire was pulled through the firewall grommet. I wasn't looking forward to depinning that terminal end under the dash and fishing that wire through the grommet again, so I came up with an alternate plan.

The air dams on either side of the radiator are held in place by six push fasteners that can be easily removed by prying out the center pin. I removed the air dams on both sides, and loosened the fasteners holding the washer reservoir in position for working space. I then unplugged the passenger-side end of the @iHacker harness from the headlight. I found it was easier to simply remove the parking bulb from the headlight rather than work the connector. I cut the tie straps along the front grill area and AC tubing, then loosened the two nuts and raised the lower grille plate in order to remove and pull the harness end back across the front of the truck.

I then pulled the harness end with the plugs and park bulb back through the radiator bulkhead into the battery area, and then routed the harness back to the grille area following the AC harness. The gray AC harness exits the engine compartment to the grille area under the bottom of the driver-side air dam. I taped the @iHacker harness to the AC harness at the push-in support that goes into the bottom of the air dam, then re-connected the harness at the passenger side headlight. I then distributed the harness across the grille area and re-installed new tie straps.

It would probably have never been an issue with the ribbed conduit I installed, but I feel better for making the change. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    manhster and iHacker like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top