1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Car buying addiction?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Johnders2586, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Oct 19, 2020 at 7:07 AM
    Johnders2586

Johnders2586 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR5 W/TRD pkg
    Toytec Performance Aluma 3" Lift- Toytec rear shackle, Fuel Vector Wheels, Toyo Open Country C/T 295/70/18 Tires
    Hey All,

Curious if anyone out there ever feels like they have a car addiction? I consider myself a car finatic, there is something about the beauty and engineering of a car/ truck old , new, fast, slow, big , small I can appreciate just about anything. On top of that I enjoy tinkering with them an haven't really owned a car that I haven't " modified". I don't feel a connection untill I make it my own to stand out against the crowd. Now none of this probably sounds all that different from most enthusiasts.. My problem is I am never satisfied. It's like a relationship when you have that initial honey moon stage an then it's old hat.. I am on my 9th vehicle which would average out to a new car every 2 years or so, based on how long I've been driving. I've owned my Tundra for not quite a year. It's a great truck, nothing wrong with it, an I put money into it. An yet I constantly find myself obsessing over something else. It's always something else.. Something I want to drive an experience. How do you stay content with your vehicles? I always go in thinking this is the one I'm going to keep 10 years.. I've never paid off a vehicle. I just don't know how to stop the cycle..Just wondering how many other folks struggle with this. Or what do you do to stop from always wanting the next greatest/ different thing ?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  2. Oct 19, 2020 at 7:43 AM
    Fotnot

Fotnot SSEM #69; LRCS#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    SW Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2021 Sequoia TRD PRO Lunar Rock
    Swimmers gonna swim
    Never felt that way....but I know people/family that are like that. If I told you what I believe is the cause, it'd prob start an argument...so we'll just skip over that. ha
    But I personally love the feeling of OWNING something. I've OWNED a few different vehicles and cannot wait to own our home. It's a different feeling to own something. I can't imagine what it'll be like to own our house we built almost 5 years ago!

3. Oct 19, 2020 at 7:46 AM
    YardBird

YardBird Native San Diegan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonesy
    Vehicle:
    2005 RCLB
    American Thunder Cat Back ~ Retrax Pro ~ Toyota Bed Mat ~ OEM Split Spoke Wheels
    My neighbor may be afflicted with the same disease ~ I've known him for 10 years and they've gone through 10 "driver" cars and a plethora of "collector" cars as well.
    He jokes about being in the Baker's Dozen Club ~ buy 12 cars and they give you the next one for free.
    Me ? I drive 'em till the wheels fall off ~ but that's just me.

"It takes all kinds to fill the freeways . . . "
    ~ Johnny Carson ~

[​IMG]

Economics not always the driving factor on trade-ins
    Click and Clack Ray Magliozzi

Dear Car Talk:

My husband and I have an ongoing disagreement about when to sell or trade-in his 2016 Toyota Tacoma.
    I say with the reliability of these trucks, he would be better off financially to keep it and let it roll to 200,000 miles, at least. By the time he pays for new licensing, higher insurance and the depreciation of new vehicles when they are driven off the lot, he would end up losing money by trading it in so early.
    He claims it is better to turn it in when the mileage is still low, under 150,000 or so, so that he will receive more money on his trade-in for a new truck. Besides, “he likes new trucks.”
    Can you do the math and let me know who is right? I would prefer you say I am.
    — Virginia

You’re right, Virginia. If you’re just considering economics, the best thing you can do is buy a car and then drive it until it’s no longer reliable or no longer serves your needs — or until your neighbors shame you into replacing it. Or, as my brother would say, “drive it into the ground” (his picture is still in the dictionary next to that phrase).
    We’ve done the math. Generally speaking, paying for repairs on an older car is cheaper than making payments on a new car.
    However, I think the key phrase in your letter is, “he likes new trucks.” So he probably knows his economic argument is nonsense. The guy just wants a new truck.
    And economic policy aside, it might be good marital policy to let him have one. After all, a middle-aged man trading in a truck for a younger model is not the worst thing that’s ever happened in a marriage, right?
    So, assuming it won’t create a financial hardship, you should consider saying to him: “Frank, your economic argument makes no sense. Just like most of your arguments. But if you really want a new truck, I think you should get one because I love you and I know it’ll make you happy.”
    Once he comes to, I think he’ll be pretty delighted. And hopefully, he’ll return the goodwill when you tell him you’ve already signed a contract for an in-home spa with a built-in whirlpool, sauna and personal masseuse.
    Good luck, Virginia.
    Post questions online at CarTalk.com.

BGoodiE and Johnders2586[OP] like this.
  4. Oct 19, 2020 at 7:48 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    I have owned over 60 different vehicles, and I always look at what is for sale.

5. Oct 19, 2020 at 7:59 AM
    The Patriot 1776

The Patriot 1776 Asskick Fabrication: Shit Is Sick!

Member:
    Great State Of TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    I’m the same way, or used to be. I buy a truck, build it up to perfection then sell it only to start all over again. There for awhile, I was going thru a new truck every year. The last few I’ve owned I bought used and that seemed to make it where I kept them a bit longer. I go thru every inch of them and replace all fluids, tires, wheels, lifts whatever and also do all preventive maintenance. Since they were used, they had more “issues” (no real issues but more to be addressed than a new vehicle”) so it took me longer to get them to perfection. I guess it’s my hobby? I can count 17 trucks I’ve owned in the last 20 years. Kind of crazy to think about it but I’m trying to keep this one longer!

YardBird and Johnders2586[OP] like this.
  6. Oct 19, 2020 at 7:59 AM
    Johnders2586

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    Toytec Performance Aluma 3" Lift- Toytec rear shackle, Fuel Vector Wheels, Toyo Open Country C/T 295/70/18 Tires
    I'm genuinely curious what you think. Certainly won't get an argument from me, I'm open minded. I hear you on the paid off feeling... Thing is I Can and have paid things off, like motorcycles, 4 wheeler ect I paid off an usually early in the past. I also have a house an have no intention on selling an buying another an pay extra every month.. So it's not that I am completely financially irresponsible. Generally I don't buy much I don't need. Its cars. They are my kryptonite so to speak....They are like crack to me...

Toyotoholic, GODZILLA and YardBird like this.
  7. Oct 19, 2020 at 8:06 AM
    ChillTree

ChillTree New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    TRD Pro Rims
    i have the same addiction...i was about 3 payments from owning my first car and traded it in for a 2011 Subi STI and just been trading in every 1-2 years ever since. im on my 2nd tundra now.8th car in 9 years. im currently looking for either a sequoia or Lexus GSF.

YardBird and Johnders2586[OP] like this.
  8. Oct 19, 2020 at 8:08 AM
    Squatting Pigeon

Squatting Pigeon Squattingpigeon.com Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    This is only the second vehicle I’ve had out of 30 that I’ve kept more than a year. So yeah, I can relate. I’m currently looking for a side piece as a matter of fact :bananadead:

9. Oct 19, 2020 at 8:54 AM
    Fotnot

Fotnot SSEM #69; LRCS#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    SW Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Swimmers gonna swim
    I've known 3 people that are kinda like this. 1 friend, a brother, and a brother in law. 1 of them (the brother in law) is basically more selfish and just feels that, "I make my money and should be able to do whatever the hell I want." This usually left him and his family with some issues of, "We don't have money for that" and similar. The other 2 were like that until they had kids. They never had a lot as kids and a somewhat lower confidence than most for acceptance. They've actually admitted this to me. But once they had a family (have wife and now 2 kids each), all of that changed.
    When first addressing this with them, pretty much in denial. All good people and take care of themselves and family. Just what I've noticed to be something similar.
    Not taking jabs. This is all strictly observation from my own personal experiences. I'm not judging or anything....not my place and finances. It is tough though when you see the new stuff come out, especially in vehicles. I've played with idea multiple times of trading in for another new one, but always look at the long run. Just my $0.02

10. Oct 19, 2020 at 10:01 AM
    cp44

cp44 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    Tundra TRD Pro
    My best friend is like this, he's bought so many cars that I've lost count. He just got a used M6 3 months ago and is already bored with it, he's probably going to sell it by end of this year. His reasoning is, cars make him happy, he works a lot and its something he really enjoys. I'm not going to hate on that, if he's happy then go for it.

OP if you got the time, money and little responsibilities then freaking enjoy it and do you.

Me on the other hand, I buy cars to keep (10 yrs +) until I drive them into the ground. I bought one fun toy, 16' GSF, which I might get rid of in the next 1-2 years. I believe its value is going to shoot up after Lexus discontinues the GS and V8 engine. My 97 supra is going with me to the grave, I told my wife to bury me in it.

11. Oct 19, 2020 at 10:19 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    The longest vehicle I kept, and paid off was my Tundra.
    I already want to trade in my Lexus and I just dumped cash into the stereo.
    I think I’m better off leasing cars as I like new ones every couple of years and don’t have to worry about major repair costs and such down the road

like I want an Charger RT (AWD) but I don’t trust them to have forever so it’s better to lease that. It’s also a fun car lol

12. Oct 19, 2020 at 10:23 AM
    Johnders2586

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    I appreciate you sharing this insight. You bring up a point in which I am struggling with. I was single for a long time. So I had my toys an no real responsibility other then myself. When I got married my wife had 2 kids from a previous marriage. An we have been together 4 years now. At first I sold my nice car that I had at the time, becuase I felt like I needed to focus on family. An that worked to some degree, I wanted to grow up so to speak an reprioritize. But as the years have past I've found myself back in old habits. Some of that is undoubtedly selfishness on my part. However I spend basically every waking moment im not working or thinking about a new car with my kids an my wife making sure they are happy an attented to. We both have decent jobs. Not wealthy by any stretch, but my car obsession is a very expensive habit.. I have to contain myself. My wife is understanding to my passion but isn't a fool either. Moving to the Tundra in a way was justified by needing the extra room for the kids as they get older. But I certainly can't be out blowing money on new vehicles all the time. I feel guilty, after lusting over vehicles an then thinking about how selfish it is to feel I "need" them.... But it's there.

13. Oct 19, 2020 at 10:38 AM
    Fotnot

Fotnot SSEM #69; LRCS#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    SW Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Swimmers gonna swim
    props for admittin a bit of selfishness on your part! I get it though. I used to be really selfish with my money and time until a few years after I got married...and especially after kids. same here in terms of finances....not wealthy, but have a lil bit of expendable income. as long as you're responsible enough to take care of priorities over wants, have at it! enjoy life man. we don't know what's coming....especially now days!:cheers:

ToyoMafia, ElNopal, GODZILLA and 3 others like this.
  14. Oct 19, 2020 at 11:59 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I did hear the car-owner virus has been going around this year...

I'm into cars and would like to own a project or fun car. However, it's hard for me to justify it even to myself. I'd rather put any extra money I have into savings to either pay for my kid's college or retire earlier. That's just me, though.

15. Oct 19, 2020 at 12:16 PM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    The longest I have owned a vehicle is 17 years, and that vehicle would be my 2002 SR5 Tundra that I purchased in 2003.

BlackSheep, MS22 and YardBird like this.
  16. Oct 19, 2020 at 12:23 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    No, I can honestly say I don't have this problem. We have 2 paid for vehicles. We could afford to go buy new vehicles every few years but then we couldn't save as aggressively for retirement as we do. You ever see those frail 75 year olds that are having to bag groceries to supplement social security? Yeah, that's who we don't want to be. My wife and I still have a ton of fun and essentially do what we want, but we don't spend our money buying different vehicles. Now, I will admit I've spent a LOT of money fixing up and improving my 02 Tundra but it still pales in comparison to the cost of new vehicles.

Now, if you make enough money to save AND buy new cars constantly then good for you. I'd say you've made it.

Darkness, YardBird and Rex Kramer like this.
  17. Oct 19, 2020 at 12:29 PM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    I don't think there's anything wrong with how you feel about cars, many share your thoughts.

I have never leased a vehicle, always owned, and never had more than 3 years of truck payments, I just HAVE to pay it off. I do keep my Yotas a long time (12-15yr ave.) So in order to enjoy different trucks I end up having three or 4 in circulation at the same time. Nice, but ALWAYS make sure the Wife has whatever she wants to drive first. Then it's ok to pursue your interests. I have friends that are always driving new cars, it never made me think about why they do it, it's just how they do it. I'm the guy that hasn't been able to work almost all year (homeschooling), but my trucks are paid off, the mortgage is minimal and we have been able to adapt without capsizing. I couldn't imagine having 2 car payments, let alone one during these times. God bless my wife and the hospital she works in!

YardBird and Rex Kramer like this.
  18. Oct 19, 2020 at 12:29 PM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Keeping up with the Jones is not a game those of us with even a moderate income should ever play, that game is a never ending money pit. Owning reliable vehicles that are paid-off, and driving & maintaining those vehicles for years and years is cost effective and freeing.

Darkness, ElNopal, YardBird and 3 others like this.
  19. Oct 19, 2020 at 12:37 PM
    dittothat

dittothat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SD
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Platinum
    Ever thought to rent a high performance vehicle for a day or so every once in a while to get your fix? Then slowly wean off?

20. Oct 19, 2020 at 12:57 PM
    rock climber

rock climber New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2001 Sequoia 4X4, 2000 AC 4X4

I think it all depends on your motivation. It's a hobby (and a great one) until it become uncontrollable. If you're trying to fill some unmet need through cars it can get dangerous, but if you just enjoy it then have fun with it!

I'm the same way with mountain bikes and I've found myself constantly lusting after the next thing, until I go out an ride my bike and remember that I love what I have. So when I get the urge to upgrade, it just means I need to get out and ride more.

betotundra and YardBird like this.
  21. Oct 19, 2020 at 1:16 PM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    2001 RCLB V8,4WD 2015 RCLB 5.7,4WD
    I have always found that if I am grateful for what I have then I don't seem to need something different,within reason of course.

I only buy them outright for cash and never finance at all.

So right now I have 4 Vehicles on the road ,just for myself and I sort of need to trim it down a little and I had planned on selling the '01 Tundra when I got the '15 but so far that plan has yet to be put into action!

Everything is a trade-off.

YardBird likes this.
  22. Oct 19, 2020 at 2:30 PM
    Johnders2586

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    Some really good feedback here. Thanks for all the replies. I think for me it is a hobby an a passion. It's not so much keeping up with the Joneses or wanting the newest or best. It's just wanting something different. For example I've never owned a german car or a luxury car. But I am curious. A old M3 or something. An I'm into 90's Japanese cars. But I also like trucks like the idea of a a big diesel, or a bagged out low rider. I just want to know what it's like. There really is no limit. I do think there are underlying reasons why there is the hole to fill.. It's reassuring reading these post that I am not alone. An it's okay to dream. Just have to keep it in check and realistic..

jalam321, Darkness and YardBird like this.
  23. Oct 21, 2020 at 3:42 PM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    Posted this earlier but it fits here. This is just about a perfect description of my brother and I.
    20201021_123731.jpg

We both have car "problems". We have regular cars that we drive and we have project cars that we mostly don't have time for but are too stubborn to let go of. We don't go through cars like so many others, we keep. At one point he had 13 cars, only half of them were functional. :D

Right now I have 2 drivers, 2 projects, and my wife2 drivers. My brother has 3 drivers and 7 projects, plus a few dirt bikes and old Vespas.

On the bright side the longer we hold our pile of crap projects the higher their values go. The car I have owned the longest is my old Beetle, bought for $2k in 2003 and wouldn't sell for less than $10k today, if I spent a few thousand restoring it I would expect well over $20k.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  24. Oct 21, 2020 at 4:00 PM
    Cummins3500

Cummins3500 Never finishes.....

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Vehicle:
    2006 tundra double cab, 2014 Cummins 6-speed manual
    I use to be like this, constantly needing a project per say. We went through the new car phase, and trade every year, year and half. We finally have vehicles we’re content with. My dually has its place, my tundra is kinda of a toy/ off-road project/ daily driver. Then we have the sequoia for the family hauler

Rex Kramer likes this.
  25. Oct 21, 2020 at 4:05 PM
    rhaliuk

rhaliuk New Member

Member:
    14’ CLA 250 - 1year - I hated that its the “cheapest Mercedes”, 18‘ Tacoma TRD Sport - 11 months - I hated that its small and not didnt have a locker (even tho I dont need it), 20’ Camry SE - 3 weeks - I hated that its nothing special. Now Ive had my 2020 Tundra TRD OR for 3 months...I hate that its not the pro! My next car will be the new Tundra when it comes out. Ill be going balls out and getting every single package Cant complain then hah

26. Oct 21, 2020 at 4:50 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    But the Tundra doesn't have a locker... o_O

27. Oct 21, 2020 at 4:54 PM
    rhaliuk

rhaliuk New Member

Member:
    When I was on Tacomaword all trd off road guys were mocking sport owners for paying the same but getting less of a truck.
    The point is that there is always something that bugs me. I got bored of the blazing blue the same day I got the truck.
    I cant explain why I need a new car every time I get one...
    Does the perfect car exist?!

28. Oct 21, 2020 at 5:11 PM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    2001 RCLB V8,4WD 2015 RCLB 5.7,4WD
    Being Paid for is a decent start to me!

Rex Kramer and rhaliuk[QUOTED] like this.
  29. Oct 21, 2020 at 6:04 PM
    Famof5Tundy

Famof5Tundy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM CM Platinum
    Just getting started
    Yep I can completely get it. Honestly not sure why but I have had 4 trucks in 6 years some longer than others. The funny truth is I had only two trucks in 10 years prior and only upgraded due to family growing. But the past several reasons it's been one reason or another. I buy them, upgrade and customize them. Then I trade them in and really never turn out too bad on it.

I can honestly say, and thankfully, that we have the income to do what we want but growing up poor, there is some guilt. So...I made an offer to my wife, I'll hold the tundra for a minimum of 5 years and so far I've held off on lift,wheels and tires.

With 3 kids their college is paid for, our retirement is on track we own her 4runner and the house. It helps running a financial planning business but I find comfort in knowing EVERYONE has their thing to spend money on. This is my thing, and I buy at a good price and sell at good price, so you're not alone. Just keep priorities in check first.

As my pastor says, show me a bank statement and a calendar and i can show you someone's priorities

30. Oct 21, 2020 at 6:14 PM
    Johnders2586

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    I don't know if the perfect car exists.. I always said if I came into alot of money (like millions) I would probably have 100 cars. There are just so many that I would like to experience for different reasons. From old school muscle, to super car, to monster truck. I mean where does it end? They all will give you a different experience. I see a nice car out on the street an think to myself. What would it be like to drive that around? How would it make we feel when I drive it. Would it live up to my expectations? I don't think I'll be happy until I've driven them all..

jalam321 and Cpl_Punishment like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top