1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cant catch a break

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Sweet_nasty87, May 6, 2015.

1. May 22, 2015 at 10:04 PM
    53flattie

53flattie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 CM 4WD
    2.5" / 1.5" leveling kit ; 275/70/18 BFG AT/KO's
    That's very likely. In my experience, what the insurance company will sell it for is MUCH less than the actual 'value'. (Coming from a guy who's paycheck comes from an insurance company)

2. Jun 1, 2015 at 11:30 AM
    TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    Red 2015 SR5 Crewmax
    LineX Bedliner, Bak-Flip FiberMax, Dancing Hula-Girl on dash.
    The primary reason I don't want my truck lifted is because I am concerned for the safety of other drivers. My fault or not, if my lifted truck was responsible for hurting or killing anyone I don't know if I could live with myself. If anything, I'd like to bring it down a couple of inches.

3. Jun 1, 2015 at 11:55 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Even lowering your truck can change suspension dynamics in a negative way. See it all the time. It just needs to be done right way whether raising or lowering.

4. Jun 1, 2015 at 12:25 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Not sure I follow your lead here...how would a truck being lifted vs stock or lowered increase any chances of killing someone? If anything it can help you get out of sticky situations (depending on the climate where you live....blizzards, flooding, etc.)

Black Wolf likes this.
  5. Jun 1, 2015 at 12:31 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I've seen a lowered truck get stuck on the tracks and fortunately every one got out before getting smashed. Not sure what the point is either.

6. Jun 1, 2015 at 5:54 PM
    TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    Red 2015 SR5 Crewmax
    LineX Bedliner, Bak-Flip FiberMax, Dancing Hula-Girl on dash.
    Look at the OP pictures. That car went under his truck. It may or may not still happen in a lower truck, but lifting a truck increases the odds of this deadly type of accident. Imagine another circumstance where a lifted truck doesn't stop in time and it drives right over the trunk of the car it hits and winds up in the back seat of the passenger compartment, where kids typically sit. It happens. I'm not comfortable making my battering ram of a truck even more dangerous to those around me by lifting it. Just my opinion, though.

7. Jun 1, 2015 at 6:10 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Not much you can do about getting rear ended. A truck usually becomes a battering ram due to the driver's skills or lack thereof. It's good to know your vehicles limits. Accidents do happen unfornately. Both of my younger brothers were claims adjusters for hundreds of accidents during their careers for Farmers and Mercury Ins, and would say that statistically speaking the fact a truck is lifted is rarely a factor , if at all. The driver of the vehicle was almost always to blame. The numbers just aren't there to support lifted truck danger. Of course any larger object can severely mess up a smaller object.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    rons23 likes this.
  8. Jun 1, 2015 at 6:37 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    This aforementioned accident would not have happened at all if the driver obeyed the laws of the state and not operated a vehicle that day without insurance(license?). She clearly had no control of that van. Not a lot of sympathy here. Glad that her uncontrolled van didn't kill someone.

15max likes this.
  9. Jun 1, 2015 at 7:39 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Ok, so lets play the devils advocate :stirthepot: lets say he wasn't lifted and was rammed, and killed on impact due to the collision? lets say he wasnt lifted and was carrying some metal pipes and the pipes went through their windshield right through the drivers head....take that same scenario in a lifted truck...pipe would go over the vehicle that hit him and land wherever...
    What about semi trucks? People lose control and slide under them too.

Then again, if you're on the Fast and Furious you can drive under them, with them =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD93C9L0RUw

Black Wolf likes this.
  10. Jun 2, 2015 at 10:17 AM
    Big_Trucking_Dave

Big_Trucking_Dave New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Black TRD SR5 Double Cab
    6 1/2 inch Pro Comp Lift 20x10 Fuel Mavericks 35x12.50x20 Federal Couragia MT Tires NFab Bars Bull Bar Pro Comp Skid Plate Factory Headlights with Oracle Plasma Halos and Pilot LED High and Low Beams 20" Light Bar behind Grille Recon Tail Lights Recon 3rd Brake Light Pioneer Nav and DVD Carbon Fiber Gauge Cluster Mesh Grille Bushwhacker Fender Flares Line-X Bed Liner Tinted Windows 5% Air Raid Intake
    So you don't want a lake house either because you are concerned that some one will wander up and drown somewhere on that lake? So you buy the house and put a fence all the way around the lake even if it crosses other peoples land? Is that really your responsibility?

Maybe you don't want to drive an 18 wheeler because you are afraid someone will hit you or that you will hit someone else? If you are afraid to own anything that might injure others, why even drive at all?

So you lower your truck a few inches.. Now that stock Ford F350 is higher than you.... well it hits you from behind and jumps the bed and lands on your cab... Guess what.. now he feels bad that he hit you and killed you. Should he have lowered his truck on that off chance that one day he may hit a vehicle lower than him? What about the chance that he might hit one higher than him? What about someone hitting him from behind and pushing him into someone else..... and on and on...

There are many scenarios that we can play back and forth all day. The bottom line is: Do what you want and don't inflict your opinions on anyone else. Nothing personal or directed specifically at you TopJimmy5150, but this is part of the problem in the world today. Everyone worried about what everyone else is doing, and trying to put their 2 cents into it. Sometimes I do the same thing, but I try had not too. HAHAHA

Black Wolf likes this.
  11. Jun 2, 2015 at 11:02 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    DittoX2. Many of the laws passed in recent years are "feel good", "if we can save one life" based on nothing more than emotion than simple things like fact. Maybe all swimming pools should be covered at all times. Ban guns so the bad guys don't get them. Ban dangerous tree houses. (cut your trees to prevent building of tree houses, completely pave your property to prevent trees from growing to be safe).Ban school recess, dodge ball, after all kids COULD get hurt. (oh wait) (Go 07's and drive responsibly) :oldglory:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  12. Jun 2, 2015 at 11:53 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Hey Sweet_nasty87, Aren't you going to need two build threads?

13. Jun 2, 2015 at 4:57 PM
    Sweet_nasty87

Sweet_nasty87 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ala
    Vehicle:
    2015 White Tundra CrewMax 4x4
    ProComp stage 1 7in lift, xtreme mt2 35x12.5r20,
    Call me Alan lol SweetNasty my fraternity name, and im sure it must get tiring typing all that. As far as the threads i think not...will sell the truck as is most likely unless the wife decides to keep as well

14. Jun 2, 2015 at 5:19 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Easier typing Alan. I wasn't sure what you were going to do with Tundra #1. As is sale would be less painful. Would it make sense to part it out considering everything is new? Sounds like you have a few options to consider.

15. Jun 12, 2015 at 8:39 AM
    Big_Trucking_Dave

Big_Trucking_Dave New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Black TRD SR5 Double Cab
    6 1/2 inch Pro Comp Lift 20x10 Fuel Mavericks 35x12.50x20 Federal Couragia MT Tires NFab Bars Bull Bar Pro Comp Skid Plate Factory Headlights with Oracle Plasma Halos and Pilot LED High and Low Beams 20" Light Bar behind Grille Recon Tail Lights Recon 3rd Brake Light Pioneer Nav and DVD Carbon Fiber Gauge Cluster Mesh Grille Bushwhacker Fender Flares Line-X Bed Liner Tinted Windows 5% Air Raid Intake
    Part it out! We all may want some parts! Hahaha:cheers:

Black Wolf likes this.
  16. Jun 12, 2015 at 9:38 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    We will help.:cheers:

Products Discussed in

To Top