1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cant catch a break

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Sweet_nasty87, May 6, 2015.

1. May 7, 2015 at 6:32 AM
    chphilo

chphilo Tundra addict

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD 5.7 4x4 CM
    Wow. That sucks, especially for a new truck. I certainly would not want to be in that van. Glad you're okay. Trucks can be fixed/replaced.

2. May 7, 2015 at 7:00 AM
    Tonka007

Tonka007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Briant
    Oh man...I definitely feel your sympathy...that pic almost brought a tear to my eye

3. May 7, 2015 at 7:05 AM
    Big_Trucking_Dave

Big_Trucking_Dave New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Black TRD SR5 Double Cab
    6 1/2 inch Pro Comp Lift 20x10 Fuel Mavericks 35x12.50x20 Federal Couragia MT Tires NFab Bars Bull Bar Pro Comp Skid Plate Factory Headlights with Oracle Plasma Halos and Pilot LED High and Low Beams 20" Light Bar behind Grille Recon Tail Lights Recon 3rd Brake Light Pioneer Nav and DVD Carbon Fiber Gauge Cluster Mesh Grille Bushwhacker Fender Flares Line-X Bed Liner Tinted Windows 5% Air Raid Intake
    Sorry to hear the news man! That sucks! I always have that fear of that happening to me because it has happened to me before. Now every time i stop I have a habit of looking in the rear view mirrors.
    I also take issues with insurance companies. Last time someone hit me in a different truck that I had, this is what I told the insurance company: My truck was new and spotless. Now it has been in an accident and will most likely be reported to carfax. I want my truck back in better condition than it was before the accident.... In fact I want another truck. Fixed the same with no damage like I had before the accident. I was hit by someone else. I shouldn't have to drive a damaged truck or previously wrecked truck because someone hit me. I am not paying $40K for a wrecked truck. I was paying $40K for a new undamaged truck!

irishpride114 and Wynnded like this.
  4. May 7, 2015 at 8:51 AM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Yea the force carries through the frame and body. My coworker was rear-ended in his new Grand Cherokee and had so many oddball damages throughout the vehicle like sunroof problems and a door that was off. Something with his stereo too, but that could have been coincidence.

He got it all fixed and got some extra i believe for the resale difference. I will have to ask him.

5. May 7, 2015 at 8:55 AM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    What was the outcome of the last time you got hit?

6. May 7, 2015 at 9:04 AM
    DallasTundra

DallasTundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra CrewMax SR5 4X4 5.7L Silver Sky
    2" MotoFab leveling Kit, 2Crave NX-5 wheels(5X150 +15 offset to fill in fender flares space), 275/60R20XL Nitto Terra Grappler G2 Tires, VLEDs Triton V3 Switchbacks, TRS Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights, CCI Chrome Grille, 2019 LED Headlights, Extang Solid Fold, Texas Edition, Leather, Nav, JBL, OEM Flares, Husky WeatherBeaters.
    Good to know you're OK. Yes, the bent frame will be straightened out and bed will be replaced.
    These are the times I wish my truck was a lease...

7. May 7, 2015 at 9:36 AM
    Big_Trucking_Dave

Member:
    Vehicle:
    6 1/2 inch Pro Comp Lift 20x10 Fuel Mavericks 35x12.50x20 Federal Couragia MT Tires NFab Bars Bull Bar Pro Comp Skid Plate Factory Headlights with Oracle Plasma Halos and Pilot LED High and Low Beams 20" Light Bar behind Grille Recon Tail Lights Recon 3rd Brake Light Pioneer Nav and DVD Carbon Fiber Gauge Cluster Mesh Grille Bushwhacker Fender Flares Line-X Bed Liner Tinted Windows 5% Air Raid Intake
    I got it totaled out (took a lot of fighting) and went and bought a new truck. I got to keep the old truck to part out too.
    It was hit about the same way. Except my bed went a little sideways and the corner of the bed was pushing into the cab of the truck.

I didn't mean to jack his post. I guess my main point is from going through this myself in the past, fight it for all your worth to get an outcome you can live with. If you don't mind the truck being fixed, don't settle for what they tell you to do. Get estimates from a ton of "Reputable" places. Especially the Toyota Dealership. This is a rare time when their high prices and expertise will help you out! Also after it is said to be fixed correctly, take it somewhere else to have them evaluate it. Even if you have to pay some out of pocket just to have another shop or 2 say it is correct. You can even travel to another city to another Toyota dealership to have them check it. Say it feels funny when driving it. After all, its your truck and you own it. And now because of this wreck you get to deal with the nightmare of getting it fixed and fixed correctly..

Sorry about that just wanted to give my 2 cents and a whole dollars worth came out! HHAHAHAHAHA

irishpride114, Black Wolf and Dave333 like this.
  8. May 7, 2015 at 11:03 AM
    Dave333

Dave333 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2015 Platinum CrewMax
    What ^ said. Don't take it to the shop your insurance company recommends. From working at a collision shop before a DRP will cut deals with the insurance company to get the business. I'd tell them it's a month old and I'm only going to Toyota to fix it. Expect it to be out of commision for a couple weeks to month. I'd have them check the frame damage first, a new bed will have to happen. That arch looks like you could have some minor frame damage. It may be able to be pulled. The insurance company won't want to pay for frame time, it's expensive but on a new truck insist on it.

At the restoration shop we do collision work on occasion for our customers who we're restoring their cars. Had a Silverado come in just about like yours. He wanted to keep it so we pulled the frame better than factory specs, put in a new bed and then the shop owner didn't like the gap between tailgate and bedside. He insisted we didn't set it right. We argued and at lunch went to a Chevy dealership with micrometers in hand and went out to the lot. All the trucks were off different specs, some by as much as 3 mm. So he said screw that, we'll make it better than factory and wound up working the metal and bed to get the gaps to 5mm on both sides.

What I'm trying to say is, if you love the truck it can be put back better than factory. If you want something else, you may fight to get one.

irishpride114, Black Wolf and Mike like this.
  9. May 7, 2015 at 12:06 PM
    Sweet_nasty87

Sweet_nasty87 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ala
    Vehicle:
    2015 White Tundra CrewMax 4x4
    ProComp stage 1 7in lift, xtreme mt2 35x12.5r20,
    na I don't think they touched but it seems like they are not equal on both sides. I moved the seat back and it pops while sliding now..don't know that that's about but def didn't do it before the hit

10. May 7, 2015 at 12:12 PM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    Another big thing to consider is that when they estimate what the truck is worth they will not consider the aftermarket items you have added like lift, wheels and tires.
    Your check for a total will only cover you for a new truck, you will be left with spending money to get it to where you had it. That is unless you had these items insured on top of standard.

11. May 7, 2015 at 12:13 PM
    Primo

Primo White Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Primo
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR Double Cab
    Level kit and TRD Pro Grill Installed.
    Shoot !!! I hate when that happens. Someone hit me from behind 4 years ago. A 18 yr old texting in the vehicle veered off his left lane into my line and hit me from behind while I was waiting at a red light. I got a new rear right panel (since it got bent) , a brand new hitch assembly, and new bumper out of the deal. I was not mad at all, since wife had already dents in the rear bumper anyhow.

12. May 8, 2015 at 8:36 AM
    Sweet_nasty87

Member:
    First Name:
    Ala
    Vehicle:
    Got the preliminary estimate...anyone else wants to take a guesstimate or yall just want to know?

13. May 8, 2015 at 8:39 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
  14. May 8, 2015 at 8:52 AM
    Big_Trucking_Dave

Member:
    Vehicle:
  15. May 8, 2015 at 8:58 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Anyone else? Going once.........

16. May 8, 2015 at 9:48 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:

17. May 8, 2015 at 9:50 AM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    Yes what is it?

18. May 8, 2015 at 10:35 AM
    Sweet_nasty87

Member:
    First Name:
    Ala
    Vehicle:
    $22,500

irishpride114 likes this.
  19. May 8, 2015 at 10:39 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Holy Cra..................pola. Apparently things can be worse than what it looks. Although your truck does look pretty messed up. Maybe a new truck soon?

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  20. May 8, 2015 at 10:45 AM
    Sweet_nasty87

Member:
    First Name:
    Ala
    Vehicle:
    your mouth to God's ears brother

21. May 8, 2015 at 10:52 AM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    Dang, yea that is expensive. Any chance you can post the list of whats being replaced?

22. May 8, 2015 at 10:53 AM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Sucks bro, great you made it out unscathed, hope everything goes well and then some

23. May 8, 2015 at 10:56 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I know that just to swap out a frame (sometimes does happen) on my friends 8 year old F-250 was a 40 hour labor estimate + 4G's for the frame. Hence totaled. A lot of insurance companies shy away now from major frame repairs due to future liability not just cost. This according to my claims adjuster brother. This is assuming that you have a serious frame issue along with everything else that is messed up.

24. May 8, 2015 at 11:07 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Gah damn.

25. May 8, 2015 at 11:19 AM
    Jack Burton

Jack Burton New Member

Member:
    Little China
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 5.7L TRD/OR
    Tires, Diamondback HD Tonneau w/ ATV Carrier
    :eek: Holy sheepshirt Batman! I didn't bother to post a guess because I knew I'd probably be way off. I had no idea how far off!

26. May 8, 2015 at 12:06 PM
    rons23

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Something to think about. If the frame is bent, I would not agree to repair. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think they would throw some heat on that area to work it back straight. Unless the mechanic is a mid-evil blacksmith who can quench it, so it doesn't lose it's strength, I would have my lawyer on speed dial. A certified letter from an attorney will get the attention from most anyone. The best of luck to ya.

irishpride114 likes this.
  27. May 8, 2015 at 1:56 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    :ohsnap:

28. May 8, 2015 at 2:21 PM
    UPSed

UPSed New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Crewmax SR5 TRD 4x2
    A problem I see is even if they get it back to "new looking" shape you may still have problems down the road as an impact like that surely knocks things loose that the shop wouldn't see unless they did a frame off restoration.

rons23 likes this.
  29. May 8, 2015 at 2:51 PM
    Sweet_nasty87

Member:
    First Name:
    Ala
    Vehicle:
  30. May 8, 2015 at 3:17 PM
    rons23

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Wow!, 7k + for frame assembly. It's amazing how much damage that van did on a 7" lifted Tundra.

Products Discussed in

To Top