1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cam Tower Leak Round 2

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by jazz-n-tundra, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Jan 19, 2019 at 8:33 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Exactly...

2. Jan 19, 2019 at 8:35 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    Smog and vehicle safety inspections are two completely separate and different things, obviously you do not know. And frankly it’s not worth discussing with you. Google it.

3. Jan 19, 2019 at 8:37 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    That is a drip for sure... sucks....at least you can prove it's an issue because it's leaking onto the heat shield and quite visible...

Sas and OR18TRD[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Jan 19, 2019 at 8:40 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    You asked. I responded. Smog and vehicle safety checks vary from state to state. My post mentioned both smog and vehicle inspection. Clean your reading glasses. Obviously you do not know. Google it. And frankly it's not worth discussing with you too....

5. Jan 19, 2019 at 8:40 PM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    Welcome from CO! Let’s see a pic of that leaky POS. If you have any..

duece292, Y0TA PR0 and Black Wolf like this.
  6. Jan 19, 2019 at 8:48 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Just curious.....I used to live in Oregon. A previous post by a member^^^^ (not you) made it sound like your fairly new truck wouldn't pass vehicle safety inspection. What vehicle safety inspection??? Does Oregon have some kind of vehicle safety inspection you have to subject your truck to??? Apparently I don't know and need to Google it......LOL
    No one has ever asked to safety check my truck here in CO...... I guess in AZ they do that.......

OR18TRD[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jan 19, 2019 at 8:53 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    Keep editing... it’s no big deal, and yes I know all about smog and vehicle safety inspections. You should read again.
    Your reaching bud, there are 50 states...

8. Jan 19, 2019 at 8:58 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Not reaching at all bud. I know there are 50 states and I can read too. You must have all 50 states smog/safety regs memorized.... Good for you........Yawning..............

9. Jan 19, 2019 at 8:59 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Yep...Pretty much the same here . Here in Colorado there are mobile smog check stations. Went out of my way to go back and pass by it. If you pass you don't have to physically go wait in line and get the smog test. Guess my potential cam tower seeping won't get checked this year. LOL

OR18TRD[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jan 19, 2019 at 9:16 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    Nope, just the ones I’ve lived in. So you are wrong?:D
    A cam tower leak would fall under a vehicle safety check, not a smog check, again two different things. If I knew it would upset you, would have never replied, not good for anyone. My apologies.:rolleyes:

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jan 19, 2019 at 9:18 PM
    AZTundra

AZTundra No Longer a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax Limited 5.7 FFV
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    Never had my hood opened in AZ. They only check for cel and gas cap pressure test. If vehicle is five years old or less no emissions test is needed. After that, check is every other year.

12. Jan 19, 2019 at 9:23 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Not upset at all. I simply mentioned a cam tower seep/ discoloration is no big deal....You apparently got triggered by that it seems and it devolved into safety checks...and me being ignorant about how many states there are and that there is a difference between smog and safety checks. If it makes you feel good ..fine.....>>> here>>>> have the last word...bye>>>>>>

13. Jan 19, 2019 at 9:25 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Is there a vehicle safety check you have to do?

14. Jan 19, 2019 at 9:28 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    Not in AZ.:notsure:

BTBAKER likes this.
  15. Jan 19, 2019 at 9:33 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    17' Tundra SR5, 12' Tacoma TRD offroad
    I look very close, I service all my vehicles myself. That's how I found the Tundra's leak, lol. I just don't understand why people discredit this or take a stance for Toyota. Its a failure pure and simple, mine was loosing 1/2qt in 5k miles. Mine was dripping onto the heatshield and burning off, for a 21k mile truck I consider that a pretty big deal. I had the dealer fix and now I'm at 42k and trucking on, but its still an issue Toyota needs to address, guys shouldn't be having to deal with this on there low mileage trucks.

Vizsla, Omohundro, jeremyd and 3 others like this.
  16. Jan 19, 2019 at 10:21 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I don’t blame you for your feelings. Drips always concern me. Seeping,no. Toyoya should fix this either way. Crossing my fingers mine stays dry. So far everything is dry as a bone.

17. Jan 20, 2019 at 5:15 AM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    17' Tundra SR5, 12' Tacoma TRD offroad
    Agreed if mine was a small seep I would have left it. But mine was dropping onto the heat shield so I had to have it fixed.

15whtrd[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jan 20, 2019 at 5:58 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Yep, The dripping onto hot heat shields thing changes things plus your truck is fairly new too. Shouldn't be leaking at all.

15whtrd and jeremyd like this.
  19. Jan 20, 2019 at 10:22 AM
    AZTundra

AZTundra No Longer a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax Limited 5.7 FFV
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    Not that I'm aware of. Been in AZ for the past 32 years. The only safety type of check I can think of would be a vehicle inspection such as after repairing a salvaged vehicle for instance. I believe that is called a level 3 inspection out here?...i fixed up our travel trailer after a hail storm left it as totaled by the insurance company. I fixed it up and had to get a level 3 inspection at the dmv and then I was able to take it back out on the road.

20. Jan 20, 2019 at 10:32 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Same thing here in Colorado. That's the only safety check I know of here. Having oil drop onto a hot surface certainly could be a safety issue for obvious reasons but apparently not yet otherwise there would be a mandatory safety recall for the cam tower issue I'm guessing.

AZTundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Jan 20, 2019 at 12:10 PM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    It really comes down to what you are comfortable with. If brand new or covered under extended warranty so it was on someone elses dime sure, fix it. If you are loosing a noticeable amount of oil, making a mess on your driveway, or smoking from oil leaking on an exhaust manifold then I would be more inclined to fix it. for thse who had it come back I would say that the dealer didn't fix it correctly. I can see how a machine that's designed to put a preset amount of sealer on the parts not putting enough (maybe because some parts aren't machines to as tight as other parts) but a tech doing the work shouldn't have that issue.

22. Jan 23, 2019 at 6:34 PM
    jazz-n-tundra

jazz-n-tundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for everyone's replies. First to clarify, I mistyped when I said UCA were leaking, it was actually the ball joint on the UCA that split and grease was coming out. They didn't want to press in new ball joints so they just replaced the UCA. I thought it was overpriced, but I didn't care because it was free.

As of now I think I will keep the truck. I have a feeling that the leak came back due to a poor prep job on the repair the first time. This time Toyota is having their top mechanic working on it. I can't get my truck in until February 5th because they have multiple FRS in the shop requiring new valve springs. So even though a lot of money has gone in the truck, it really has been a good truck if it didn't have the Cam Tower Leak. Hopefully it will be done properly this time and I will be able to enjoy my Tundra for another 100k without much other issues.

I have lost about 3/4 quart of oil since the last oil change. Prior to my previous oil change, I never was losing oil since the first time it was repaired. I mentioned it to Toyota and they said they will do an oil consumption test. Hopefully once it is all sealed up it will go back to not using any oil.

Products Discussed in

To Top