1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CAM SHAFT TOWER SEAL LEAKING ** PLEASE READ***

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by jacob.jons.jj, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Mar 30, 2021 at 10:49 AM
    sbxx312

sbxx312 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport, 2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    This issue hasn't hurt Tundra reliability and I think a lot of people are driving around with leaky towers. Not worrying about them because they don't know.

I'll have to decide before my powertrain runs. Scary operation for a little oil. Less scary if it gets worse.

2. Mar 30, 2021 at 11:20 AM
    Megaman

Megaman New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited DC 4X4 TRD Silver Sky Metallic
    I honestly wouldn't expect the guy at the service desk to rotate my tires either. At least at the dealership local to me, he's the guy responsible for doing all the check-in and paperwork. I "think" he is also supposed to pass any customer concerns to the mechanics in the service area....or play dumb as you said.

- I've yet to be greeted by any Master Tech or mechanic when I pull in for service. - So my only option is to ask the service writer guy to pass along to the mechanic that I would like them to check something.....but it would be great if I could just speak directly to the person actually doing the work! Thanks to this forum, I can keep an eye on it myself since I know where to look.

Wynnded likes this.
  3. Mar 30, 2021 at 11:24 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    2011 RCSB S/C'd 5.7L AWD Tundra
    OEM Upgrades: TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD S/C, OVTune and +2 psi pulley TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Front Sway Bar Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats
    LOL, I'm sure that some of us have been to dealerships where we can't even be certain that the service writer knows what we're talking about.

With that said, I was helping a wedding planner move some flowers and she kept referring to them by what I assume was their Latin name, and would just stand there and stare at her until she would say something like "the orange one".

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    Megaman likes this.
  4. Mar 30, 2021 at 11:29 AM
    Megaman

Megaman New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited DC 4X4 TRD Silver Sky Metallic
    That is a sad but very true statement. Been there...

Wynnded likes this.
  5. Apr 25, 2021 at 2:50 PM
    Dalandshark

Dalandshark Recently infected with 5G

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra SR5 5.7 Longbed
    Eibach Level LIft
    Here's a funny Camshaft Tower story. I went to my local Toyota Parts counter to get a couple o-rings for under the valve covers that I needed to button up my Cam tower reseal project. Upon disclosing my repair and bitching about the 5.7, the parts guy said that half of their techs think the Cam Tower leak is "fake". Sooo...if your towers are leaking best to ignore it, it's probably fake news! :rofl:

6. Apr 25, 2021 at 2:57 PM
    Retroboy1989

Retroboy1989 'Course it's 4x4!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4x4 5.7 SR5 TRD OR Barcelona
    Paint matched snug top 20" OEM wheels with BFG KO2s
    I have it. My entire drive train is dry otherwise.
    Not sure it's worth messing with. Even if Toyota were willing to fix it for me, I don't know that I want a 50,000 mile engine being cracked open.

Drivers side
    20210329_183729.jpg

equin and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  7. May 7, 2021 at 9:09 AM
    sbxx312

sbxx312 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport, 2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I set up my service appointment next week to re-confirm my leak. I'm going to bring the invoice from 7/29/19 that says "oil leak coming from the driver side cam tower, cleaned oil off and reinspect next visit."

The plan is to have them re-confirm it so I'm good under the powertrain and then clean it up and decide later.

Products Discussed in

To Top