1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CAM SHAFT TOWER SEAL LEAKING ** PLEASE READ***

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2014+)' started by jacob.jons.jj, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Feb 8, 2019 at 4:16 PM
    Blueline

Blueline New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeb
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD PRO crewmax
    Bakflip MX4
    Time to set up a “Go Fund Me” page for cam tower leaks not covered by warranty. Just kidding...very sorry to hear that some are paying for this repair out of pocket. That ain’t right!!!

2. Feb 8, 2019 at 4:37 PM
    Hvactech24

Hvactech24 MGM

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rock warrior double cab
    2-1/2” front leveling kit, spider trex wheel spacers, line-x bed liner, change all lights over to led bulbs interior, exterior, and headlights. All bulbs are from headlight revolutions, RCI skid plates.
    Yes that would be very nice every little bit helps. Better than $2500.00

3. Feb 8, 2019 at 5:27 PM
    Finch

Finch New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donnie
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno CM 5.7L TRD Off-Road
    I'm in the market and I'm only considering buying a certified used Tundra since the mileage may be barely beyond 60,000. I haven't had time to read this entire thread but if my new (to me) truck were leaking, would I have problems getting it fixed as long as it is a certified truck?

Jsena likes this.
  4. Feb 8, 2019 at 5:29 PM
    Jsena

Jsena Trend setter, not a follower!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    A Bad Bissshhhh
    7 inch BDS LIFT, 22x10 RBP wheels 37 inch Atturo MT Tires, Flowmaster, Bullydog Tuner
    I would walk in there and look at the cam shaft and see if it had grey or black sealer and depending on the year you’re buyin. That’s where I would start

AZTundra likes this.
  5. Feb 8, 2019 at 5:41 PM
    Finch

Finch New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donnie
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Good point and that was my plan. The only thing is I'll be driving possibly a couple hundred miles to find a "deal" on a used 2016. If I get there and discover it is leaking, should that be a dealbreaker if the truck is certified used? I could talk to that dealership about fixing it but then again, I would not be local to that area. I feel if I'm driving a couple hundred miles to look at a truck, I'll be buying it unless something is majorly wrong.

Jsena likes this.
  6. Feb 8, 2019 at 5:41 PM
    AZTundra

AZTundra No Longer a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax Limited 5.7 FFV
    TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down.
    Just gave them my info online. I'm still under warranty, but my cam tower "seepage" isn't bad enough for Toyota to approve yet. Just wanted to give them my info to add another case.

040Tundra likes this.
  7. Feb 8, 2019 at 5:44 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down.
    Make it part of the purchase deal that it needs to be resealed at their expense.

Jsena and Finch like this.
  8. Feb 8, 2019 at 5:46 PM
    Jsena

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    A Bad Bissshhhh
    7 inch BDS LIFT, 22x10 RBP wheels 37 inch Atturo MT Tires, Flowmaster, Bullydog Tuner
    Well, from what I’ve been reading, $3500 to me seems major enough for Me.. I’d also bring it up to them if it hasn’t been done and show them that class act lawsuit pending. They need to fix their work!.

9. Feb 8, 2019 at 5:50 PM
    Finch

Finch New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donnie
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Yes, $3500 ranks in the major category for me as well! I guess I was trying to say that I'd still buy it if I knew they'd fix it but I guess that is the unknown. I'd ask them to take pics of the suspected areas ahead of time but the untrusting part of me thinks they would possibly clean the area and then take pics. Thanks for the info.

Jsena likes this.
  10. Feb 8, 2019 at 5:51 PM
    Jsena

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    A Bad Bissshhhh
    Good luck bro

Finch likes this.
  11. Feb 8, 2019 at 5:54 PM
    Bergmen

Bergmen New Member

Member:
    Ukiah, California
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Pearl DC 4X2 SR5
    Okay, we had a similar situation with GM several years back. Cliffs notes: 2003 Suburban developed a noise from the AC compressor, sounded like playing cards in the spokes of a bicycle. I called a buddy of mine who had been a GM mechanic for a few decades. He looked it up and found a service bulletin that described a manufacturing defect that caused this issue, sent me a copy. GM offered to repair this if the vehicle was below a certain mileage. We were above this mileage.

I called customer service over this and after some haggling, they offered to cover half the cost. I pushed back with the position: "I do not see where I should reach for my wallet in ANY WAY since it is an acknowledged manufacturing defect, regardless of the mileage on our vehicle". They hemmed and hawed but I stuck to my guns. I repeatedly asked why I should pay anything since this was not a random failure, this should be covered by GM.

I was firm but polite. They escalated this upstairs and we finally got agreement for GM to cover all costs. Got it fixed, worked perfectly then sold it (and got another POS Yukon, but that is another story).

Dan

12. Feb 8, 2019 at 5:55 PM
    040Tundra

040Tundra El Chapo

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    040 '16 CM LTD 4x4
    A little of this and a little of that.
    Yeah, we can all give our info to this law firm. Whether Toyota fixes yours or not. The more that join the less chance of one of us getting screwed having to pay it ourselves.

BS. It's a freaking leak. Oil that's meant for the inside of the engine is on the outside. It's not rocket science

BuckWallace and Jsena like this.
  13. Feb 8, 2019 at 5:58 PM
    Jsena

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    A Bad Bissshhhh
    Well where’s the email or # to call. I’ll send my info cause members on here are getting shafted and it’s bs. I’m all for helping any way I can

040Tundra likes this.
  14. Feb 8, 2019 at 6:01 PM
    Hvactech24

Hvactech24 MGM

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2-1/2” front leveling kit, spider trex wheel spacers, line-x bed liner, change all lights over to led bulbs interior, exterior, and headlights. All bulbs are from headlight revolutions, RCI skid plates.
    Well good luck guys. I have called Toyota twice and it has been noted twice and I have a reference number for it and I have been pretty angry over the phone with them but they still won’t help me out or do anything with it just like the first guy left a phone number and somehow got them to cover it for him on the first message of this form they won’t do anything for me.

15. Feb 8, 2019 at 6:04 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    040Tundra likes this.
  16. Feb 8, 2019 at 6:04 PM
    Hvactech24

Hvactech24 MGM

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    040Tundra likes this.
  17. Feb 8, 2019 at 6:07 PM
    Hvactech24

Hvactech24 MGM

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Like I said I talked to them two days ago and they said they are getting two to three a day now.

040Tundra likes this.
  18. Feb 8, 2019 at 6:09 PM
    040Tundra

040Tundra El Chapo

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    040 '16 CM LTD 4x4
    Jsena likes this.
  19. Feb 8, 2019 at 6:10 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    If giving them my info helps in any way to get mine approved or if it helps others on here I'm all for it.

040Tundra likes this.
  20. Feb 8, 2019 at 6:11 PM
    040Tundra

040Tundra El Chapo

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    040 '16 CM LTD 4x4

Did you call the law firm yet? You might be out but then get reimbursed, if all goes well

21. Feb 8, 2019 at 6:12 PM
    040Tundra

040Tundra El Chapo

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    040 '16 CM LTD 4x4

Do it. :thumbsup:

22. Feb 8, 2019 at 6:14 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Already done 32 mins ago... :thumbsup:

23. Feb 8, 2019 at 6:16 PM
    040Tundra

040Tundra El Chapo

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    040 '16 CM LTD 4x4

You Da man!

24. Feb 8, 2019 at 6:18 PM
    Hvactech24

Hvactech24 MGM

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Yes I called them yesterday and talked to them for about 30 minutes they are wanting me to fax all the service history on my truck. Only thing is all my paperwork is in the truck in the console at the dealership right now getting the damn cam towers fixed lol.

25. Feb 8, 2019 at 6:20 PM
    Hvactech24

Hvactech24 MGM

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    I need a go fund me page set up lol. Hahaha. Hell we all do that have to pay this out of pocket for now. Lol

26. Feb 8, 2019 at 6:21 PM
    Jsena

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    A Bad Bissshhhh
    040Tundra likes this.
  27. Feb 8, 2019 at 7:52 PM
    RickC

RickC NOT a new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab SR5 4x4 5.7
    SCS Wheels, Line-X
    I looked at a used Rock Warrior Double Cab in Cookeville TN at Ford Lincoln of Cookeville. The first thing I did was look to verify if it had the leak. The truck has 52k miles on it and both sides are leaking, one side pretty bad. I pointed it out and told them what it cost to fix it and I wasn't interested in the truck. Typical salesman jargon however comes next and he says what if we make adjustments to cover it? I said possibly so they called Cumberland Toyota next door and was told it would cost 4k to fix it. Ford Lincoln of Cookeville tried to add that cost to the price of the truck. They adjusted the price to include the cost of the repair. I couldn't believe it and told them they were nuts and that they wanted double what I was willing to pay difference between my truck and theirs. So then they knocked off 4k and left the price of the truck at their original asking price. I left of course, I guess they thought they had someone that didn't understand math and I hope they lose their butt on that truck just because of the way they tried to do me.

It's a very well taken care of truck though and my bet is the person that traded it in doesn't know about this problem. Ford Lincoln of Cookeville didn't know about it either until I pointed it out. I just didn't like the way they tried to do me when I was being honest with them and was still willing to buy the truck.

I really think that Toyota should step up in two ways. First they need to address the issue and fix it once and for all. Second, they need to fix the trucks they are asked to fix and reimburse the dealers and owners for the cost. I own 3 Toyotas now and my immediate family owns 5 more. But if Toyota wants to continue to have me as a loyal customer, they will fix mine if/when I have this issue or I will buy something else from now on.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  28. Feb 8, 2019 at 7:55 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    Vehicle:
    crooked dealerships..always gold

Jsena likes this.
  29. Feb 8, 2019 at 9:54 PM
    Waterboy45661

Waterboy45661 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Vehicle:
    07 Red SR5
    No doubt mine cost me $3167.00

Jsena likes this.
  30. Feb 9, 2019 at 9:45 AM
    Luckydog

Luckydog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dominic
    Surfside, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD Offroad.
    Ranch Hand Summit front and rear bumpers. Diamondback SE tonneau cover. Rigid DOT fogs. LED headlight/fog replacement bulbs. Matt Gecko hood, and bed LED's. Foot well led's, and interior LED buld replacement. (warm) Broke the front shock of the 3" spacer lift, so replaced with 6112/5160 and 1' block rear. KO 2's. Speaker replacement, added amp and (2) 10's under seat. Weathertech floor mats. Salex organizers. Ziebart undercoating. RCI front, transmission/diff, and gas tank skids received, waiting for spring install. Compustar remote starter. front/rear dash cam.
    Follow up on my previous posts. My cam tower leak repair is complete. The dealer did both sides, and Toyota was gracious enough to pick up the tab,(including rental) even though I was at 82,000+ miles. I had a good experience both with dealing with corporate, and the time spent at local dealership. The 2-3 day job turned into 9 days total. A seal or gasket was overlooked, and they had to wait for it to be delivered. But it is hard to get worked up when it is free. I stopped by a couple times to check on progress, and I would be willing to bet that the master tech far exceeded the Toyota allowed labor time. The tech took his time, and everything sounds as it should. I have always had a good experience dealing with the service department at Yark Toyota, in Toledo, OH. Glad I can finally quit reading updates to this thread! Good luck everyone!

Jsena, Capt J-Rod, nixon and 6 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top