1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CAM SHAFT TOWER SEAL LEAKING ** PLEASE READ***

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by jacob.jons.jj, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Jan 23, 2019 at 3:37 AM
    ldale

ldale New Member

Member:
    Txk Tx
    Vehicle:
    17' Limited Silver Sky Metalic
    Tonno Pro LowPro , TRD Sway Bar, Helwig Leaf Pack
    Can you give any info on the Warranty. Who did you talk to and what was the reason for the extended Time and Mileage? Just trying to get a feel on what to say when I call. Also what is the # and contact info of the person you spoke to? If you don't mind.

2. Jan 23, 2019 at 4:07 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Maybe. 12 years later hundreds of thousands 5.7Ls still out there and quite a few with over 300,000 miles with a very small percentage getting sealant failure. The big 3 aren't getting anything near that mileage wise. I'll take Toyota's "flawed" design over The big 3. I think all the car makers have been don't ask don't tell.

3. Jan 23, 2019 at 5:44 AM
    Atomic City Tundra

Atomic City Tundra Cam Tower Leak Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 5.7FFV CM 4X4

Plenty of the big 3 reach those numbers. There are a lot more of them out there (total numbers of vehicles).

I dunno - my Tundra has moved into the 3rd least reliable vehicle I have owned now. Not super pumped with it right now. I will probably have it fixed again and keep driving it until the mortgage is paid off. But I am not sure I will keep it past that.

Vizsla likes this.
  4. Jan 23, 2019 at 6:04 AM
    RonW

RonW New Member

Member:
    Checked again because I've been watching since I read about this problem. 2018 with 23k and no leaks so far.

But, there is so much dirt that I probably couldnt see a leak anyway. Maybe that's the answer. Get some mud on there and leave it.

TTund16, Lake.Life24 and Black Wolf like this.
  5. Jan 23, 2019 at 8:02 AM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    Just called customer care, don’t recall who I spoke with. Nicely explained that my 16 Tundra and current 18 failed at less than 4K miles, and this is the fifth new Tundra I’ve purchased. The rep went over the repair records on both trucks, and said it needed escalated to a supervisor. Took about a week until the supervisor called back with the warranty. She did tell me that they are not giving out extended warranties for a repair covered under warranty, my extended warranty was given to maintain a long time customers loyalty due to the back to back failures. I did not bother calling when my 16 got repaired, just didn’t make sense to me.
    Thanks, very helpful!

6. Jan 23, 2019 at 11:52 AM
    JeremyGSU

JeremyGSU New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra
    Repair completed. Dropped my truck off yesterday at 7:30am for other repairs and they found the Cam leak around 9:30am. Got my truck back today at 11:30am.

7. Jan 23, 2019 at 12:03 PM
    TundraPro406

TundraPro406 New Member

Member:
    Montana
    Got my '17 CM PRO(50k miles) done couple weeks ago. Pretty painless process. Called local Toyota on a Thursday about leak, setup appt that following Monday and they were done on Tuesday. Only thing was they found leak on passenger side only and wouldn't seal driver side. No biggie, got warranty until 126k.

Black Wolf and OR18TRD like this.
  8. Jan 23, 2019 at 12:10 PM
    JeremyGSU

JeremyGSU New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra
    The leak was only on the Driver's side but they went ahead and repaired both and gave me an '18 Tacoma to use until it was done. Went pretty smoothly actually. I've got no complaints.

9. Jan 23, 2019 at 5:38 PM
    Danbizzle2009

Danbizzle2009 New Member

Member:
    MAINE
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC Tundra SR5
    UPDATE:

Yesterday I went to my local dealer to have my Cam Tower leak inspected (2016 30k miles). I posted my pictures again (below) to show my level of leak. I was told by the service writers that I have a "SEEP" not a LEAK. They noted, "Customer complaint of possible Cam Tower leak. Observed the Cam Tower to be seeping oil, not leaking. Suggests customer continues to monitor at services."

Not being too pleased after driving 2 hours to get to the dealer and being told this, I asked what is the difference between a seep and a leak in Toyota's eyes. I was told, a seep is where oil can be seen coming from somewhere but is not enough that it is actually leaking.. In order to make the CT fix, they would have to observe oil dripping off and staining the (heat) shield. I made a reference that if water is "seeping" from the bottom of the boat, one would think there is a leak; or that surely the seep/leak would only get worse.

So they showed me a picture of a small amount of oil on someone else's truck that actually dripped onto the heat shield, and said this leak was covered by Toyota and mine would have to be that bad. My experiences may differ from yours, I have posted this just to better warn/inform the group.

My plan is to "continue monitoring" the LEAK and make sure that by 5y 50k miles there is some oil on the heat shield.

camtower1.jpg

ColoradoTJ and OR18TRD like this.
  10. Jan 23, 2019 at 5:47 PM
    Danbizzle2009

Danbizzle2009 New Member

Member:
    MAINE
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC Tundra SR5
    What's the phone number for the corporate office to push my case? Would it even be worth it you think?

Black Wolf likes this.
  11. Jan 23, 2019 at 5:53 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I think it might be wort it. You can mention why is it some dealers are repairing if only seeping and other dealers aren't. You have proof of it mentioned here on the by forum members. Good luck!

12. Jan 23, 2019 at 6:06 PM
    RonW

RonW New Member

Member:
    A "seep" is a leak. There is shit on the outside of the engine that is supposed to be on the inside. That's a leak, dont matter how it gets there.

13. Jan 23, 2019 at 6:15 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    Seep or leak does not matter to Toyota. I suggest a new dealer if feasible, it may not go smooth having corporate force them, especially with their attitude towards it. Did they add dye at least? If stuck with them, make sure they have done the repair also, don’t wanna be their guinnea pig.

14. Jan 23, 2019 at 6:29 PM
    Danbizzle2009

Danbizzle2009 New Member

Member:
    MAINE
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC Tundra SR5
    I'm writing an email to the sales manager of the dealer I purchased my truck from last October. This will be my attempt at shopping around for a dealer willing to make the repair. After hearing what he has to say, I'll be calling the corporate office. I'm with you guys, a seep is a leak or else no oil would be visible.

OR18TRD likes this.
  15. Jan 23, 2019 at 6:38 PM
    Capt J-Rod

Capt J-Rod New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD Off Road Crew Max SR5 Tundra
    Husky Floor Mats, Diamond back lid, Coverking seat covers, More gas.
    A "seep" occurs when the vehicle is covered under warranty with no out of pocket expense to the owner. A "leak" occurs when the warranty has expired and $2500 can be charged for the same repair

Speydragon, ColoradoTJ, Adam and 9 others like this.
  16. Jan 23, 2019 at 6:39 PM
    Tacogrande

Tacogrande New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 dbl. cab long bed gray
    Husky weatherbeaters,short antenna,window deflectors
    A seep is a leak because if it was not leaking then it would not be seeping!

17. Jan 23, 2019 at 7:19 PM
    r1-superstar

r1-superstar Kailua Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    DB
    UTAH
    Vehicle:
    2018 TUNDRA CM SR5 TRD SPORT 4x4 MGM
    :rofl:What they said ^^^

18. Jan 24, 2019 at 10:16 AM
    UpSteer32

UpSteer32 New Member

Member:

Go write an article discussing Toyota's design vs other design options if you really feel that way. Or write a detailed complaint on the NHTSA website. Because just bitching about what Toyota did wrong on a forum doesn't accomplish much. Also, you act like oil leaks are unheard of on other trucks with actual gaskets....they're not.

And for the nth time, I never said the oil leak problem doesn't exist. I said its likelihood and severity are being over-exaggerated.
    How many Tundras, in total, have this problem?
    And of those that have the problem, how many have suffered catastrophic breakdowns because of the design flaw?

As someone else noted, the oil leak is slow enough for most example trucks that you'll change your oil (if you follow the proper maintenance protocols) before you notice a significant loss of oil.

An individual component may be faulty, but that doesn't mean the overall truck is broken.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  19. Jan 24, 2019 at 11:03 AM
    Atomic City Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    You shouldn't make assumptions about what people have or have not done. And yes, leaks happen on all vehicles - even one with actual gaskets. But this is the first vehicle I have ever owned that has developed a leak before 100,000 miles. Toyota was 2 for 2 on my cam tower seals. First one started leaking at 14,000 miles, second one let loose at around 74,000 miles.

For the nth time - why do you care if people are discussing a problem with their vehicle on a forum? Just like to argue? Why does it bother you so much? You own Toyota stock? - worried about stock prices tanking? Feel threatened by people that are discussing something that might shed a bad light on the type of vehicle you own (do you even own a Tundra?)? Seriously......why do you care?

I don't think that anybody has given any real number as to the true probability that this problem will spring up. Some of us have performed our own little surveys and reported numbers. But nobody has come out and said "25% of all Tundras WILL have this issue". We don't know how many have this problem. Tell me how many don't have the problem.

So, as long as your truck still gets you from point A to point B, everything is cool for you? I guess that some of us have higher standards. Maybe that is where the problem lies - we expect too much in return for our money.

Let's look at some of the previous TSBs for the Tundra from this viewpoint:

BRAKES (PWS) TSB ID #T-TT-0404-16
    TT: SOME 13-17MY TUNDRA VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A VIBRATION/PULSATION DURING LIGHT TO HARD BRAKING. THE VIBRATION/PULSATION FEELING CAN BE DESCRIBED AS BEING FELT IN ANY COMBINATION OF THE FOLLOWING: STEERING WHEEL, BRAKE PEDAL, SEAT, AND ENT

This wouldn't be an issue for you - the truck still works. Just live with it.

PARKING BRAKE TSB ID #T-SB-0013-13
    Some 2007 ? 2012 model year Tundra vehicles may exhibit a rubbing or grinding noise from the rear when making left or right turns. New parking brake plate sub-assemblies have been developed to address this condition.

Again - the truck is just making a noise. It still functions. No failure here.

TSB Number:
    T-SB-0001-15 REV
    NHTSA Number:
    TSB Date:
    January 23, 2015
    Date Added to File:
    August 14, 2017
    Failing Component:
    Structure
    Summary:
    TSB: some 2013 - 2015 model year tundra vehicles may exhibit a condition where the roof drip molding may become loose and will not stay in the roof channel. A modified roof drip molding is available to address this condition.

Again, the truck still runs and drives - why should you care? Just a little water might cause some rust issues eventually, but not for a while.

You would probably be the type that would just live with a vibration in the driveline because "shit happens". Well, some of us aren't like that.

Blueline and ColoradoTJ like this.
  20. Jan 24, 2019 at 11:14 AM
    UpSteer32

UpSteer32 New Member

Member:
    @Atomic City Tundra

I'm not telling anyone to just "live with" the issue. If you have an oil leak or some other problem, and your truck is under warranty, have Toyota fix it.

As for the TSB's you dug up, bud, if you think those are bad you should go see the number and type of TSB's for other 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks.

Every vehicle has the potential for problems or issues. No manufacturer is perfect. I think Toyota, generally-speaking, does a better job with building a long-lasting and reliable truck. You might disagree, but the market seems to confirm that, as Toyota's Tundra consistently gets ranked high on the reliability surveys and retains better value on the used market.

You're getting way too wrapped around axle on these issues. They're quite petty in the grand scheme of things. Will the truck still be working 10 years down the road? Well, we have plenty of 2007-era Tundra's that are running just fine, oil leaks or not.

21. Jan 24, 2019 at 11:25 AM
    Atomic City Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Jeebus. I didn't pick any particular TSBs - just some random ones to make the point that even if the system as a whole still functions, it doesn't mean that something hasn't failed or isn't broken. And I imagine that the other trucks have several TSBs also.

It just comes down to expectations. You don't seem to expect much. I expected more from Toyota for my Tundra based on my previous experience with a Toyota 4Runner. But, my Tundra is now in my top 3 least reliable vehicles that I have ever owned. Has it ever left me stranded? Nope. But it has required more work than the majority of my vehicles that I have owned to fix issues. I am not the type that just lets things remain broken. If I would have known that I would have had the issues that I did, I would have purchased differently. I bought a Tundra, sacrificing payload, for the idea of reliability and trouble-free ownership. In retrospect, I should have just gotten a 3/4 or 1 ton from one of the big 3 and rolled the dice. Then I would have at least had more payload to work with.

Yes, every vehicle has the potential for issues. This is one of the potential issues for the Tundra. People should know that if they are doing research on a vehicle.

22. Jan 24, 2019 at 11:27 AM
    Atomic City Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    And you never answered my question. Why do you care if people discuss this issue on a forum?

23. Jan 24, 2019 at 11:36 AM
    UpSteer32

UpSteer32 New Member

Member:
    A simple search of the NHTSA website demonstrates that other brands of trucks have far more TSB's (now called manufacturer communications), complaints and recalls than does the Tundra. But I suspect you already knew that; you're just playing dumb because that data doesn't fit with your narrative.

I guess your criteria for "reliability" is different from my own. In my view, a reliable vehicle functions and effectively gets me, and my gear, from point a to point b. If you want definitive examples of unreliable 1/2 ton trucks, there are plenty of examples: are you aware of the all the premature breakdowns of the F-150 ecoboosts and Ram ecodiesels? Not mere leaks, I mean the powertrain functioned improperly or failed completely.

Your Tundra may have required more work than your previous vehicles, but for the average owner, Tundra's are considered more reliable compared to their competitors. The data, including that found on the NHTSA website, bears that out.

24. Jan 24, 2019 at 11:37 AM
    UpSteer32

UpSteer32 New Member

Member:
    I'm answering your posts/comments that were directly addressed to me.

Would you prefer that I didn't answer them?

25. Jan 24, 2019 at 11:51 AM
    Atomic City Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    I never asked you or commented to you to jump into the discussion in the first place. You did that on your own - calling us a bunch of "fear mongers". I made the mistake of responding to that accusation and entered into an argument that will never end.

I am well aware that Toyota is the most reliable based on numerous reports, and that other trucks have had far more issues. Yes, the majority of people with Tundras probably won't have issues - especially if they choose to ignore any issues that come up. My Tundra has not been that stellar. You would probably love it, though - as it gets me to work every morning.

Anyway, this isn't going to end. We have different views and different experiences when it comes to the Tundra (I think - still not sure if you actually own one - if you don't, than that makes this whole conversation even more foolish than it already is). You aren't going to change my mind nor my viewpoint. This is an issue for the 5.7 engines - even if it isn't very widespread, and even if it only results in your engine getting oily and dirty and dripping oil onto your exhaust heat shield and stinking to high hell.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Mitral and Blueline like this.
  26. Jan 24, 2019 at 12:40 PM
    Capt J-Rod

Capt J-Rod New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Quit trashing a thread designed to make owners of trucks and potential buyers of trucks aware of a flaw that can be very expensive to have repaired if a vehicle is out of warranty. I plan to use this thread and other resources as evidence to the dealership that this is a common issue that has yet to be addressed by Toyota corporate. Petty fighting dilutes the meaningfulness of the thread. There is a flaw, it continues to plague the 5.7 engine, and I want mine repaired. If you two want to have a discussion then use the PM feature and have at it. I too am a mechanical engineer but I have no desire to use my credentials in a pissing contest with no winner. If I ain't getting paid, I don't stamp the drawing. I just want my damn truck fixed and a warranty to back up the repair!!!

27. Jan 24, 2019 at 3:40 PM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    Let's be honest, it’s more of a seep than a leak and for what they charge to 'fix' the
    seepage you can buy yourself and a few friends a lifetime supply of oil & de-greaser.

usmchawk likes this.
  28. Jan 24, 2019 at 4:09 PM
    040Tundra

040Tundra Teddy 2013-2019

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    040 '16 CM LTD 4x4
    A little of this and a little of that.
    I just my Cam Tower on the driver's side I can't see anything but on the passengers side I have a leak. See pics...E56EE6E4-EF2F-4E82-9171-D201B86D087A.jpgE57B9BE7-A213-4D7D-A06C-532812EDE37D.jpg

29. Jan 24, 2019 at 4:11 PM
    Capt J-Rod

Capt J-Rod New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    @040Tundra ... Welcome to our exclusive it never happens club :(:(:( Wish it were for better reasons.

seanyy11 likes this.
  30. Jan 24, 2019 at 4:14 PM
    s1mple

s1mple New Member

Member:
    Where is the cam tower

Products Discussed in

To Top