1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CAM SHAFT TOWER SEAL LEAKING ** PLEASE READ***

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by jacob.jons.jj, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Jul 6, 2018 at 8:50 PM
    GWalker

GWalker New Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tundra Double Cab Limited
    Just checked my 2014, 5.7 motor and the driver's side is leaking, I have 48,500 miles on it. Easy to spot, stuck my head in the wheel well with a flashlight. I called 2 different local dealers. They will only fix the one side which is leaking. It is going in for diagnostics next week to verify the leak. Anyone have issues with only 1 side being approved for repair? I have concerns that I only have 12,000 miles left on the warranty for the other side.

2. Jul 6, 2018 at 10:10 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    have them diagnosed before you decide. I went for one side and they found both and took care of both. That was at 58K too..

3. Jul 7, 2018 at 11:07 AM
    GWalker

GWalker New Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, I will definitely do that, I most certainly want both done at the same time, so they may see something on the passenger side with the dye when they put it in there.

TheBeast likes this.
  4. Jul 8, 2018 at 9:05 PM
    r1-superstar

r1-superstar Kailua Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    DB
    UTAH
    Vehicle:
    2018 TUNDRA CM SR5 TRD SPORT 4x4 MGM
    Great information. Thanks for taking the time to inform us.

trdlife[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jul 11, 2018 at 8:09 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    17' Tundra SR5, 12' Tacoma TRD offroad
    Mine was the passenger side only and my dealer would only repair that side, I pushed for both but was denied. Toyota is getting tight on this repair from what I understand and if the dealer tears down a side that's not leaking they might be loosing money I guess. Good luck with yours.

Y0TA PR0 likes this.
  6. Aug 20, 2018 at 9:53 PM
    stomachbuzz

stomachbuzz New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    I had a similar "get bent, kid" experience dealing with Toyota corporate. Frame replaced on my Tacoma in March. The dealership completely FUBAR'd the job. It was bad... My brakes weren't bled (I almost t-boned someone coming off the dealer lot when I picked it up), they broke my locking gas cap, broke one of my shocks, truck wasn't aligned, A/C didn't work, and a slew of other minor issues.
    I actually had to get the truck towed because I ran out of gas - went to fill up, and the broken gas cap nub was still jammed in the filler neck! I couldn't get it off, and I ran out of gas trying to get home.
    The dealership admitted the gas cap. Nothing else. Immediately went 100% defense mode. I called Toyota Corporate... the person just put me on a 3-way call with the dealer (Who I had gotten off the phone with 5 minutes prior) and then exited the conversation. "Toyota corporate will not be getting involved in this matter in any way, shape, or form. Good bye". The dealer rep literally repeated the exact same thing from 5 mins prior, and hung up.

Everyone on the forums loves to say "if you EVER EVER EVER have trouble with a dealer, call Toyota corporate. They will get that dealer shaped up immediately!!"
    It ain't so. At least, not anymore.

I was on the phone telling Toyota "I could have easily hurt or killed someone! My truck has no brakes! My good driving skill barely avoided an accident. I'm helping YOU out. I'm giving you the chance to bled my brakes (a 1hr procedure, right, guys??) before I get in an accident at YOUR fault!"
    "I repeat, Toyota corporate will not be getting involved with this matter. Good bye."

Same thing happened with Tacoma frame jobs...1st gen frames were allowed 60hrs, and the job was easier. 2nd gen Tacomas are allowed 40hrs on a more complicated truck.
    The master tech who signed off on the job admitted cut corners due to time constraints.

About the cam tower leak - this seems to be an odd, easily preventable issue. The 5.7l motor is ~12 years old now. I could understand the issue back in 2007-2009, but any longer than that is...concerning at best with Toyota's current mentality. When I look at old TSBs for Tacomas, they would have 10s of them. Maybe even like 50 TSBs for any small issue. Can't believe this one is such a headache.
    But then again, I am a bit dumbfounded that Toyota would cover a truck that's 30k out of warranty. I believe a few people's attitudes here are out of line. An oil leak at 100k is to be expected in my opinion. Everything I've ever owned has had some sort of "moisture" at 100k+.

7. Aug 20, 2018 at 11:00 PM
    Tuckerman048

Tuckerman048 New Member

Member:
    Western Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2014 CM 4x4
    So reading this entire thread has made my eyes hurt and my mind paranoid. I've since checked my 14 CM and found no signs of seepage. I did notice my grey seal sticks out like the black replacement which may be good luck for me. Maybe enough was put in as to not leak. I'll be keeping an eye on it from now on!

TheBeast likes this.
  8. Aug 21, 2018 at 6:39 AM
    Atomic City Tundra

Atomic City Tundra Cam Tower Leak Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 5.7FFV CM 4X4
    I have had several 100,000+ vehicles that had no leaks. One was a 4Runner. I had two Honda Accords that never leaked - one had almost 200,000 miles. Pontiac Grand Am with about 185,000 miles - no leaks. There were a few more.

They only fixed one side on my truck. I had the leak at 14,000 miles. I am at just about 68,000 miles now with no problems.

TheBeast and Watt maker like this.
  9. Aug 21, 2018 at 6:42 PM
    GWalker

GWalker New Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Update: I had my 2014 DC 5.7 liter inspected at the dealer. I have 49k on odometer Diagnosis: This is not an oil leak. It is dirt that blows up from the road. Service writer said based on aerodynamics, this mysterious event only occurs on the driver's side. The passenger side is "dirt free". I am meticulous and the entire engine compartment is very clean, except here. Could not believe what I was hearing. I showed the pictures to the service manager, got the same diagnosis.

IMG_1278.jpg

Watt maker likes this.
  10. Aug 21, 2018 at 6:48 PM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    That actually does look like dirt. Your cam tower seal is below that.

TheBeast likes this.
  11. Aug 21, 2018 at 6:55 PM
    GWalker

GWalker New Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. That makes me feel better, curious why that was not explained to me a the dealer.

12. Aug 21, 2018 at 6:59 PM
    BuckWallace

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    It might be a valve cover leak, but it seems like the dealer would/should have mentioned that. Someone else smarter than me will probably chime in soon...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  13. Aug 22, 2018 at 11:35 AM
    UpSteer32

UpSteer32 New Member

Member:
    The paranoia being shown on this thread is both amusing and frightening.

To be honest, I thought Toyota forums were free from this kind of fear-mongering because, well, they're Toyota's.

Some GM trucks have electronic gremlins and IFS issues.
    Some Ram's have vibration and transmission issues.
    Some Ford's have Ford issues which not even the dealer can repair (joking reference to the 6.0 Powerstroke days).
    And now some Tundra's have a slight oil leak (which really isn't all that bad compared to other potential problems).

Don't make the mistake of thinking that a few internet complaints constitute a major issue. Just about every brand of truck has some amount of issues. Most modern trucks, however, work just fine with regular maintenance.

Some people here need to look at this issue through a wider lens.

757TUNDRA likes this.
  14. Aug 22, 2018 at 11:41 AM
    BuckWallace

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    Phew, thanks for setting us straight. I guess I never thought about all truck brands also having issues, so we really shouldn't worry about these oil leaks at all. This is a Toyota site, after all, so there really is no place to voice concerns (aka "fear mongering") here.

TheBeast and Atomic City Tundra like this.
  15. Aug 22, 2018 at 11:45 AM
    Atomic City Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:

Are you kidding me? Drink some more kool-aid.

Any oil leak on a brand new vehicle is a bad thing. Even if it is just a "slight" one. Toyota has known about this stupid cam tower leak for over a decade and has done nothing about it - which is pathetic because it is a simple fix.

All brands have issues. You list the slight oil leak for the Tundra as the only thing. Here are some others (some of these have been addressed in newer models):

Excessive Frame rust.
    Steering rack failures.
    Front differential failures.
    Weak upper ball joints.
    Air induction pump problems.
    Bed bounce/flex.

Toyota is not free from problems - especially the Tundra. It isn't fear-mongering. It is just crap that happens.

stomachbuzz, TheBeast and BuckWallace like this.
  16. Aug 22, 2018 at 11:52 AM
    UpSteer32

UpSteer32 New Member

Member:
    Tundra's are still having frame rust issues? That's news to me.

As for all the other "examples" are these widespread issues, or are you just cherry-picking the few complaints that inevitably end up on an internet forum?

BTW, I'm not saying the Tundra is perfect. I'm saying that these vehicle forums tend to exaggerate the problems of a few bad vehicles. Take these forum posts with a grain of salt. Just because you have a few, or even a few dozen, forum posters complaining about an issue, doesn't mean it's a widespread problem.

How many individual complaints are on this particular thread about the oil leak? How does that compare to the # of owners who have little to no problems with their 5.7l v8?

Internet complaints are a data point, one among many, worth some consideration. But don't mistake them for statistical surveys or scientific observations.

757TUNDRA likes this.
  17. Aug 22, 2018 at 11:54 AM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    that's why we had a poll here on the issue. It should reflect the forum members experience.

18. Aug 22, 2018 at 11:58 AM
    Atomic City Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Notice I said that some issues have been resolved with newer models. Actually, most of them have been resolved - except the cam tower leak. Toyota ignores that one for some reason. You will find many more than just a "dozen" incidences of the cam tower leak issue. I live in a fairly small town and have two friends that own 2nd gen Tundras. We all have had the cam tower leak. There are three data points for you.

19. Aug 22, 2018 at 12:00 PM
    BuckWallace

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    You're the one reading into this as a "widespread issue". People are just here voicing their concerns and experiences regarding this particular issue. Obviously enough people are having this issue to where it's not uncommon. Nobody is saying this is a flaw inherent to all Tundras.

20. Aug 22, 2018 at 12:01 PM
    Deuxlatch

Deuxlatch AirBus

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris (Latch)
    Tomball, Tx./Lafayette, La.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White Tundra CM
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Big Brake kit, MotoMetal wheels, Undercover Tonneau with dual swing out saddle bag tool boxes.
    Look I just got rid of a 2005 Jeep LJ because it was a ticking time bomb. There has been a problem with the PCM for years in the 2005 & 2006 models and now when it goes out you can't even get one because Chrysler no longer makes it and the parts to rebuilt it are also no longer available either. You can either do a V8 swap or it becomes a very expensive paper weight at that point.

If this oil leak is the biggest problem I will have to deal with when I purchase my next Tundra then bring it on. Rant over.

21. Aug 22, 2018 at 12:03 PM
    UpSteer32

UpSteer32 New Member

Member:
    3 anecdotal data points. Thanks, you've convinced me now ;)

And if the rust and other issues are no longer "issues" why bring them up? Toyota addressed them as you would expect from a responsible OEM.

Atomic City Tundra seems to be implying that the reliability issues are widespread, but maybe I'm misinterpreting his posts.

22. Aug 22, 2018 at 12:06 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    from our poll here it was between 10 and 15% of owners IIRC.

23. Aug 22, 2018 at 12:07 PM
    Atomic City Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    I brought them up just to make the point that the Tundra is not perfect. And the three actual data points wasn't to convince you. It was just mentioning that in this tiny little place that I live, that doesn't have many people, let alone Tundras - everybody that I know who owns a 2nd gen has had the Cam tower leak. Sort of a strange coincidence for something that is "not a problem", statistically speaking.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    stomachbuzz likes this.
  24. Aug 22, 2018 at 12:13 PM
    stomachbuzz

stomachbuzz New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Because they still matter. Those trucks are still driven, daily. Those trucks are still being bought and sold. There will continue to be many trucks, and owners who are burdened with these issues after they bought into, and paid much extra for, the "problem-free Toyota life".
    Which is why people on this forum are extra pissed with their $50k "problem-free Toyota" has stupid issues.

Just because Toyota fixed the issue 5 years later doesn't mean the issue stops existing.

BuckWallace likes this.
  25. Aug 22, 2018 at 12:15 PM
    UpSteer32

UpSteer32 New Member

Member:
    Well that's not very high. And let's be honest here: what % of the total pool of Tundra owners even participated in that poll?

The people who tend to write and complain on forums are the people who have something to complain about. People who have nothing wrong with their vehicle tend to not waste their time writing on a forum. In fact, I'd argue that most Tundra owners spend little to no time on a forum at all. And for good reason....these forums have a tendency to turn into echo chambers of sorts, which over-exaggerate the hype and exacerbate the negative feedback.

That was my original point.

Again, going back to my original point: you're confusing coincidence with statistics, anecdotal observation with scientific observation.

Tell me how many Tundra owners have taken their trucks into dealers for oil leaks in a particular region or state and then maybe we can have a conversation on observable trends and statistics.

757TUNDRA likes this.
  26. Aug 22, 2018 at 12:16 PM
    stomachbuzz

stomachbuzz New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    10-15% is FUCKING huge.

27. Aug 22, 2018 at 12:20 PM
    UpSteer32

UpSteer32 New Member

Member:
    5 years ago?

The 2007-2008 Tundra had frame rust issues. And last time I checked, Toyota actually agreed to replace the frames of the vehicles affected by that issue.

I never said Toyota was "problem free," but they certainly go above and beyond what most other OEM's do to correct a widespread deficiency.

28. Aug 22, 2018 at 12:21 PM
    BuckWallace

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    Dude, we get that this isn't a tested, peer-reviewed scientific statistical study. We also get that you're going to hear more people complaining on forums than singing praises, but it's still obviously a significant issue. Either way, why does it matter? Forums like this exist in part for people to discuss issues like this.

TheBeast likes this.
  29. Aug 22, 2018 at 12:23 PM
    Atomic City Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:

To quote a song I know: Talking to you is like clapping with one hand.

You are right - the percentage is probably low, but as I stated in another response earlier - you can't argue with personal experience. I don't give a rat's backside if only 1% of all Tundra owners experience a Cam Tower leak and that 99% are happy as pie. All I know is that mine leaked - and that sucked bad. It is a known problem - you can go to any Tundra forum and find a thread about the cam tower leak with hundreds and hundreds of posts.

BuckWallace likes this.
  30. Aug 22, 2018 at 12:23 PM
    UpSteer32

UpSteer32 New Member

Member:
    10%-15% of how many? How many 2nd gen owners even frequent this forum? How many 2nd gen owners on this forum even participated in the poll?

Do you see the gaps with this logic?

This is what I meant by fear-mongering.

757TUNDRA likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top