1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cam seal leak? Or something else?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by fighthedude, Jan 6, 2023.

1. Jan 6, 2023 at 1:26 PM
    fighthedude

fighthedude [OP] New Member

Member:
    A49AA6A4-5D65-4882-9C0B-4BA900AE868C.jpg 461F1A93-C1AD-47F9-AAAD-9860D47254EF.jpg 0FDB92DC-0157-4534-931F-C70EAB2A4078.jpg 70C8E4A1-7D7F-48CD-8C0C-DACF21E1B787.jpg Long story short i changed the oil about 600 miles ago. Was under truck couple days ago and noticed fresh oil on pan... then followed it up and it looks like its coming from behind the front of engine drivers side timing belt cover. Any suggestions? Valve cover bolts have been tightened in past and dont want to over tighten but I suppose it could try those again. No oil was present before change. Please let me know if possible how to proceed or anything i can do to determine leak location. Also is a cam seal a catastrophic failure where i should not drive it. The out of focus is looking up behind timing belt cover i believe. Thanks fellas.

2. Jan 6, 2023 at 2:54 PM
    shifty`

shifty` Our private little trip to hell

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    How many miles?

Does it look like it's primarily coming down the front of the block, on only one side? (I see the compressor in at least one pic)

Is there any clear visibility of oil on the dipstick tube OR the dipstick mount?

Is there any oil collecting on the sides of the engine, specifically on the manifold flanges that live between the valve cover and exhaust?

3. Jan 6, 2023 at 2:59 PM
    shifty`

shifty` Our private little trip to hell

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    Oh crap, I just saw the text at the end that last pic (btw, that last pic, if that's your crank position sensor wire harness, you may want to make sure it can't touch the pulley). Based on what you're saying, maybe coming from at or behind the timing cover, yes, I'd believe it's cam seal leak.

I went through this with cam seal leak and valve cover leak combined. It's not a catastrophic failure. I was able to use AT-205 and it stopped the leak. At least one other person has had similar luck.

My thread: https://www.tundras.com/threads/hey-whats-leaking-here-lower-timing-cover-valve-cover.100798/

You see where my timing cover is saturated? Evidence oil was running in that spot and saturating the plastic. And stuff is coming vertically down the block on the front, behind the compressor, mixed with dust.

More info on AT-205 is in that thread. I can't praise the stuff enough. One bottle for our engines is all it takes, and you can run it as short or long as you want, but it takes 200-300 miles and a few days to rejuvenate the seals. They stand by their claim it won't over-swell anything or cause collateral issues. It's not your typical stop-leak.

4. Jan 6, 2023 at 4:28 PM
    fighthedude

fighthedude [OP] New Member

Member:
    I am gonna do a thorough wipe down. Retighten the valve cover gaskets and see what happens. I feel like i am too lucky to not have it be a cam seal but we will see. I talked to mechanic who I trust and he said if it doesnt stop he will take care of it. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the info shifty

tacoguybill and shifty` like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top