1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cam position sensor oil leak/limp mode

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by davemcw, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Mar 9, 2020 at 5:04 PM
    davemcw

davemcw [OP] New Member

Member:
    I am in the market for a Tundra and found a 2014 on a dealer lot. It has around 85k miles. I immediately noticed oil on the frontmost underbody cover, which was wet and it had dripped on the ground some where it had been parked. This was a bit concerning but I test drove anyway. On the way back, it threw a CEL and went into limp mode.

We had to abandon it on the side of the road and get a ride back to the dealer in another vehicle. Now, they called me tonight saying it was a bad cam position sensor causing both the limp mode/CEL and oil leak.

I am familiar with both the AIP and cam tower leak issues, which is what immediately came to mind. But does the cam position sensor make sense on the 5.7 motor to cause an oil leak? I could definitely see it causing limp mode. I'm not sure the cam tower leak would make its way to the front skid plate like that, if it was indeed that.

I want to try to see if they are giving me BS or if this is a known issue on this motor?

2. Mar 9, 2020 at 5:19 PM
    koditten

koditten New Member

Member:
    I'm thinking BS. Unless you saw the actual code, you are being misled.

3. Mar 10, 2020 at 5:18 AM
    davemcw

davemcw [OP] New Member

Member:
    Yeah, I was thinking the same. Unfortunately I did not have my OBDII reader with me, so I did not see the code for myself.

Products Discussed in

To Top