1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cali Raised Slider Install Questions

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Whittle, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Apr 3, 2021 at 11:01 AM
    Whittle

Whittle [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Magnetic Gray Tundra TRD Pro
    Just looking for some advice from people who have done this install. For reference I'm installing the Cali Raised Trail sliders with kickout, powder coated black on my 2021 TRD Pro Crew Cab.

I read through whats been posted (unless I missed something) and am going to add to what GREENwithENVY posted on another thread here: https://www.tundras.com/threads/rock-sliders.82085/#post-2155901

I had many of the same issues which include needing to file down 90 degree angle holder to allow the bolt to fit into it. I'll be adding washers and lock nuts to make things sit properly for all 8 of the 1/2 x 3.0 bolts which go in vertically. I'll also be marking and cutting on the gas tank cover to make it fit properly because although I got it installed by brute force it needs to be slightly cut to make it fit perfectly again. I was also short a backing plate (as he was) which I'll be going back to Cali Raised on Monday to address.

I used the s curved holders on the middle two bolts on the drivers side and used the 90 degree holder in the rear, I used the 2 shorter aluminum spacers on the rear of each side where the frame was smallest. I only mention this because the video didn't address either of these and I haven't seen written out anywhere.

Questions:

1. I dropped the gas tank shield, once I did that I no longer needed the 2 s-shaped bolt holders and could have easily just installed back plates for the front two locations. Does anyone see a downside to this? If I'm getting a large backing plate already it would make sense to have them add 2 more to the order?
    2. The parts list includes 12 of the 1/2 x 1.5 bolts. Per the video you use 4 bolts on each side going horizontally and then 1 bolt angled upward into a square nut in a small back plate. That leaves 2 unused bolts. Does anyone have any idea what I supposed to do with them? it seems weird they would be just extra since it was a Tundra specific kit.
    3. The up angled bolt referenced above is tightened all the way down but the washer is still loose. Has anyone had this problem? I'm thinking of adding some lock nuts/washers like I am for the vertical bolts as I said above to address this. Thoughts?
    4. One of the bolts for the brake line doesn't want to grab hold and crank down so I may have stripped the bolt or the frame that it does into. I don't have a question other than has someone else had this problem? The line up is correct so that doesn't seem to be the issue since the other bolt went back in no problem.

Thanks for any answers or thoughts with those that are familiar.

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 3:42 AM
  2. Apr 21, 2021 at 3:58 PM
    Whittle

Whittle [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    In regards to this install might benefit from stoping by Home Depot and picking up some Grade 8 zinc coated, 1/2 washers and lock washers. I grabbed both today and am working on getting it to where I want.

From number 3 above I added a single lock washer and that allowed me to make the bolt tight and flush and now the washer isn’t rattling around:
    63E2CAE5-2666-462F-823A-027B2CB437C5.jpg

For the 8 vertical bolts I saw somewhere that someone else added washers and spacers to make the hook (clamp) portion sit evenly so I stole their idea and added a HD washer below the spacer and a lock washer above the spacer and was really happy with the results:
    109FC7D1-7010-4842-8ED9-98282869250A.jpg

And this is the passenger side with all 4 pictured:
    9A969842-8451-4964-9347-F5AD35B67F5D.jpg

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 3:42 AM
  3. Apr 21, 2021 at 4:01 PM
    Whittle

Whittle [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    For 1 above I’ve contacted Cali Raised in regards to my missing backing plate plus a few extra and they’re looking for some to send me so I’ll provide and update once I have those installed.

In the end I think I’ll be really happy with my install and the quality of the product but think that I wish I knew what I know now going into the install because it would have saved a ton of time and effort and thought if some of this was addressed.

4. May 3, 2021 at 8:36 PM
    JeffC995

JeffC995 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Magnetic Grey Crewmax
    I did the same. Used lock washers from Lowes to get the clamps to be at the perfect height to sit flat and straight. 20210503_203429.jpg

5. May 4, 2021 at 3:39 AM
    Whittle

Whittle [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Just had another go with them last night and finished out the installation. Cali Raised was great and sent me several extra backing plates and I finished out the install on the drivers side the way I would like. In the end I dropped the fuel tank 3-4 inches onto jacks and that gave me the room I was looking for to finish out the rear two vertical bolts properly and also replace the Cali raised bolt in a 90 degree plate with the standard lock nut, washer, backing plate configuration. From my perspective getting to the last vertical bolt is so difficult that moving the tank was necessary and if you’re going to do that there’s no reason to use the nuts clipped into the tools since they’re less secure and stick out more.

Big takeaways from this would be to watch several different slider install videos to get a better sense of the process before you start and to definitely do the passenger side first. That way you get a sense of how it should be before you do the more challenging drivers side with the fuel tank. Also I added lock washers to the super long bolt to make it sit a little more evenly and I’ll add pictures of that when I get a chance. It got dark last night as I was finishing out so I couldn’t get good pictures. Also I’ll add a list of parts you need from Lowe’s/Home Depot to install like this as well as the extra pieces/total pieces you need from Cali Raised to install like this.

I’ll try and adjust this post so that anyone who does this install can look and see everything at once that I learned by trial and error.

Products Discussed in

To Top