1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bypass engine oil cooler

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Miller_j94, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Feb 17, 2020 at 8:27 PM
    Miller_j94

Miller_j94 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi everyone. So I have a 07 5.7L tundra. I have suspicion the oil cooler is getting coolant in my oil so to test this theory I want to bypass the oil cooler then change the oil to see if it stays clean. Has anybody bypassed the engine oil cooler before or is this even possible? Suggestions or advice?

2. Feb 17, 2020 at 9:34 PM
    Nick T

Nick T New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Disconnect the inlet and outlet coolant lines to bypass.
    You would then need to connect the two lines to each other with a coolant tube connector.
    In order to have corroded the engine oil cooler, your radiator would have corroded and leaked first.
    Have you been running silicate free Asian spec coolant?
    Have you checked your headgasket?
    Is your oil milky? Or was the coolant reported in a used oil analyst report?

3. Feb 18, 2020 at 4:18 AM
    Miller_j94

Miller_j94 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I just bought the truck about three or four months ago. It didn’t have milky oil at first, then I did the oil change and it got milky, it doesn’t overheat. The only sign that anything is wrong is the coolant level going down and the milky oil. The radiator may have been replaced, it looks newish. The water pump definitely was replaced. It’s orange coolant, that says it’s for Toyota, I’ve only ever bought it that but no telling what they used before I bought it.

4. Feb 18, 2020 at 4:24 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Not all trucks had them. So I imagine that you could get away with it for troubleshooting purposes.

Products Discussed in

To Top