1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying a new truck. Talk me out of buying a F150

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by tundrathr0w, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Jun 9, 2018 at 3:43 AM
    Bable985

Bable985 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2014 silver sky limited trd
    Had 4 fords, purchased all new the last being a eco F150 .... that thing was in the shop every other week. With only 12,000 miles I let that thing go ... finally ended up w a used 2014 tundra couldn’t be happier

040Tundra and NewImprovedRon like this.
  2. Jun 9, 2018 at 11:00 AM
    tundrathr0w

tundrathr0w [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky Metallic Tundra CrewMax 4x4 5.7L
    I totally get what you mean. To tell the truth, I am leaning towards Tundra, but I made a similar post in the F150 forum around the same time I made this post. I linked to it in one of the earlier message on this thread.

Law323[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Jun 9, 2018 at 11:02 AM
    tundrathr0w

tundrathr0w [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky Metallic Tundra CrewMax 4x4 5.7L
    At 12k miles, did you just sell the F150 at a big discount?

4. Jun 9, 2018 at 1:20 PM
    ninjajay

ninjajay Posting from the toilet

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Spoolston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM 1794 TRD 4x4
    Toytec/Radflo Lift, Ambit RS02 18x9+0, Bridgestone Revo 3 295/70/18
    The tundra has its share of issues, but they're comparatively minor (e.g. DIY fix or cheap repair) compared to the others

5. Jun 10, 2018 at 3:10 AM
    Bable985

Bable985 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    Traded in. Took a big hit. Tried to trade in for another f150, dealer treated me like a piece so that will be my last Ford. I understand if something happens or there’s recalls but to have a vehicle for so long and not be able to fix the issue. I basically drove a focus while making an f150 payment. The main issue with the ecoturd I had was electrical. Like I said bought it brand new. Truck simple wouldn’t start. I jumped it numerous times and dropped it off at the dealer the last time they came to my house w a flat bed and pulled it out of my garage. I really should have filed a lemon but I didn’t want the hassle.

6. Jun 10, 2018 at 6:28 AM
    ShreveportTSS

ShreveportTSS Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2018 5.7 4x4 Crewmax TSS
    So I have had all brands of trucks and now that I'm getting old, I don't need all those bells and whistles everyone brags on. I have been getting new trucks every 2-3 years and I'm thinking this one may have to last until it dies from old age. I don't want to have to pay thousands of $$$ to fix touch screens and other things when they break. I traded in a 2008 Taco because I didn't want to pay $380 to replace the temp and direction display. In reality, I have never had a "bad" vehicle of any brand.
    IMHO, If the F-150 tickles your pickle, get it. You may get a truck that makes you happy and doesn't quit on you. The only way to talk you out of buying a Ford is firsthand experience. Most of the issues with "lemons" and repairs is dealer related. If a dealer pushes and it's legitimate, ford will replace a vehicle.
    I loved my Chevys but I modded every one of them for more POWA!.

Law323 likes this.
  7. Jun 10, 2018 at 6:52 AM
    Bable985

Bable985 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    I had zero mods all factory sat down with the manager asked to trade it in for another ford his response was ... “ I don’t think so I don’t know how you drive this thing” ...talk about furious .... my 2nd ford was a 250 5.4 had it for 8 years zero issues other than standard “Ford” stuff great truck no bells no whistles just reliability.... that’s what I’m wanting in this tundra and I believe it’ll happen

8. Jun 10, 2018 at 7:04 AM
    Blueknights75

Blueknights75 040 IS THE FASTEST

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Clayton, NC
    Vehicle:
    18’ TRD CM leveled with 295/70 Ridge Grapplers
    LMAO! That actually made me laugh out loud! Holy shit that’s funny!

HecticEnergy likes this.
  9. Jun 11, 2018 at 5:49 AM
    nodak67

nodak67 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    23 Tundra Platinum Blueprint CM 4x4 5.5ft Non HV
    like I need to justify my life experiences to you. who cares about someone with only 10 posts trying to be a smarta$$.

10. Jun 11, 2018 at 9:22 AM
    Ike74

Ike74 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Sugar Land, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kia Forte
    Here's another point: I searched YouTube and could not find a why I traded my Tundra for a _______. However, I did find this newer video:

11. Jun 11, 2018 at 1:39 PM
    nshipp

nshipp New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Metallic Gray Tundra TRD Off Road
    33" KO2s, Tint, ESP Seat Storage
    I bought a brand new 2015 F-150 XLT in 2015 and it was a nightmare. First 11,000 miles I had to get my driveshaft and transfer case fixed. The transfer case was toast and it threw the driveshaft off balance, sounded like I was flying in a helicopter at 55+ mph. Ford said most likely they forgot to put transfer fluid into the transfer case coming off the line. Fun. Right? Well, once I hit 26,000 miles guess what! My driveshaft went out of alignment again, Ford had my truck for 4 solid weeks this time until a Ford engineer from Michigan came to Ohio to see what the issue was. After a couple of measurements of the rear axle and listening to the sound the engineer knew what it was right away. My rear axle was installed at the wrong angle from the manufacturer causing the driveshaft to spin out of alignment until it ate through my driveshaft. The fix was to add shims in the hope it would no longer do this. It was a joke.

I filed a lemon law against Ford and tried everything possible to get them to buy the vehicle back or at least do something for me. They offered me a free oil change. No fn' joke. Ford would do nothing for me nor did the dealership. The dealership wanted to give me a low dollar amount for it and buy a new Ford off of them. It was an awful experience all around and I really liked Ford. Never again.

Within 10,000 miles I had to fix a driveshaft, transfer case, faulty back window with no defrost, warped right rotor, e-brake cable locked up, and passenger back window stopped rolling down. Pretty bad all around. It was all fixed under warranty, but complete garbage build of a truck.

If you look at the forums it is nothing but issues on the f-150s. Several other guys had the same issues I did and I was able to keep in contact with them, Ford screwed them over too. Stay away.

Sarge33, Bable985 and Baja Mike like this.
  12. Jun 11, 2018 at 1:41 PM
    T500

T500 # The Dark Side

Member:
    First Name:
    Alfie
    Neptune, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black
  13. Jun 11, 2018 at 1:47 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    you like your little clichés, that's cute.

NICE!

14. Jun 11, 2018 at 4:09 PM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    Not as cute as your guidette, jersey boy.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    15whtrd likes this.
  15. Jun 11, 2018 at 5:17 PM
    rds95991

rds95991 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Super White Tundra CrewMax SR5 TRD
    I'm still driving a 96 4Runner with 217K on it. I sold my 98 Explorer Eddie Bauer after 50K. Every car lot I drive by has tons of Ford and Dodge trucks for sale and very few if any Toyotas. The top three car for resale value as a percentage of purchase prices are Tacoma, Tundra, and 4Runner in that order. Most of the Ford and Dodge trucks around here are Super Duties and 3/4 tons, the 1/2 tons don't seem to cut it.

If I'm not mistaken, there are more foreign parts in a Ford than there are in a Tundra. A lot of parts in Fords come from Mexico.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/res...north-american-made-parts/ss-BBhT7Dd#image=11

I wasn't mistaken.

Buy American, buy a Tundra!!!!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    040Tundra likes this.
  16. Jun 11, 2018 at 5:37 PM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    Getting two sides of the story.....smart man!

Just read the Ford forum......I felt like I was behind enemy lines! :spy::spy::spy:

Seems like all they can say about the tundra is they think it’s ugly and outdated.

As for the gas mileage.....it’s really not that much of a difference. 1 maybe 2 mpg at most.

Most do seem to concede to tundras reliability.

Loved the TuRD comments LOL!!

Like one guy pointed out, every brand has their pros and cons. It’s all about what feels right to you and what you like. We can all be fanboys and fan girls when it comes to brand loyalty and which one has treated us right in our own respective experiences. Some have had bad luck with fords, some with Toyota, just what makes the world go round!

Just do your due research (sounds like you’re actually putting the work in) I’d say weigh out both brands and test drive both. See what gets your engine revving the most and have fun with whatever decision you make!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Ostrich and NewImprovedRon like this.
  17. Jun 11, 2018 at 11:19 PM
    WAtundra4x4

WAtundra4x4 Retired from active retirement.

Member:
    First Name:
    Den
    Wet side WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tundra TRD crewmax limited
    Forward looking camera, Stub Antenna, 3M clearshield. A few other non lifted items.
    I also was down to the choice between a F150 and Toyota. I had a 99 Ford. It was good, never left me totally stranded more than once. That was when the alternator and battery went all at once. I was towing my 19 ft Arima when the dash was dead, nothing electrical would work, no Speedo, not tach, no electric windows... decided to pull off to side of road before attempting a 500 ft hill to the board launch. Would not start. Took battery out of boat and put it in the truck, drove back home.

O then the recall for faulty cruise control... it would stick and hitting the brakes might stop it. After the fix, no visual indication of cruise. Changing the spark plugs was a PIA. Be sure to warm up engine for 5 minutes to avoid pulling treads out. My truck was good, it never blew out plugs like some reported on the ford forums.

Ford had a TSB for faulty windshield gaskets. Causes all kinds of electrical gremlins as it leaks and goes into the fuse and main computer module. That was the reason I finally ditched the F150. I did not trust it anymore. I was able to drive it, but had all sorts of electrical gremlins, ww not working, lights flashing, and of course killing the battery. SeVeral threads dedicated to that. Some reports of cars dying while on highway at 70. New windshield plus drying out electrical restored it to working condition. Why Ford never had a recall is an indication of Fords corporate culture.

My wife always hated the bench seats in the Ford. The passenger side was designed for short people my guess.

Read the Ford forums, watch the videos of the ford techs saying buy the 5.0, stay away from the ecoboosts. Read about leaky rear windows, chain slap on the 3.5 EB. The other one I remember is the door handle design is such you can pull the handle on a 18 and use pliers to grab the shaft and open the door. One guy had his hand gun stolen from his console that way, the LEO said it was common way to steal stuff out.

Oh, if you order a ford without a trailer controller. Good luck. There is a thread dedicated on people adding wiring to power their trailer controller. Seems like the factory omitted that circuit on the build. It was goi g for 3 months early this year.

Fords are rated for 5K towing unless you get the tow package... option selection is total insanity imo. this goes on and on...

On my 18 Tundra Limited TRD, I have only 3 months and 2600 miles. I am very pleased with the room and comfort the Tundra has. It gets better mpg than my old Ford. As my daughter says she feels that we are safer in the new Tundra than the old Ford. I agree.

Boosted4runner, Ike74 and Sarge33 like this.
  18. Jun 15, 2018 at 12:16 AM
    Elk Hunter

Elk Hunter New Member

Member:
    Lemon
    Just bought a new 2018 Tundra 14 May. Almost died in it 23 May. So buy the Ford. Toyota is a joke now.

19. Jun 15, 2018 at 7:47 AM
    Tacogrande

Tacogrande New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 dbl. cab long bed gray
    Husky weatherbeaters,short antenna,window deflectors
    What happened?:D

20. Jun 15, 2018 at 7:49 AM
    HecticEnergy

HecticEnergy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tundra SR5
    Winjet Rear brake lights, leather seats, BackFlip tonneau cover, Spyder headlights, Pro Grille, pop&lock
    htw_hawaii likes this.
  21. Jun 15, 2018 at 11:00 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    it is good because it has been around forever. There is a reason that a lot of people choose the 5.0 over the Ecoburst

15whtrd likes this.
  22. Jun 15, 2018 at 11:04 AM
    Boosted4runner

Boosted4runner Join the NRA please.

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC MGM TRD Tundra, Kings, 5.7, 2018 front end
    Resi Kings, 35” Trail Grapplers on 18” Methods, ICON Delta Upper Arms, Front-Runner bed rack, Yakima SkyBox16, 2018 honeycomb grill, 2018 LED headlights, plastidipped bumper covers
    My guess is some F150 owner over on the Ford forum is pissed his truck isn't as solid as he hoped for, and he's sour about it. LOL

23. Jun 15, 2018 at 1:02 PM
    jtwags

jtwags Concrete jungle

Member:
    League City, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra CM
    Undercover Elite LX, Xact Contour
    I am in the same boat and I am about ready to pull the trigger on a Tundra, SR5 with package or base Limited. I haven't purchased a new Truck for 18 years, Yes, I am still driving my 2000 F150 Supercab XLT 4x4 and it just rolled 248k miles. It has been a great truck and I wanted to get another 2018 F150, but the dealer lent me a 2018 F150 Supercrew 4x4 with 10speed and V8. Ford 5.0 is a sweet motor, the 10 speed transmission did not feel good at all during low speed driving, 5-35mph in neighborhoods. It was hunting for gears on incline and declines and slow speed humps as well as clunked a lot. Not even close to the same ride as my 2000 F150 (something to do with the transmission staying locked up more often vs the old transmissions that hold the gears longer and free wheel when off the gas). So, after dealing with all the Ford dealership BS around my discounts and my Private Cash Offer and numbers all over the board and trying to find a 2017 f150 that still has the 6 speed V8, I have given up on Ford for now.

I rented a Tundra from Toyota for a weekend and it felt like a big truck, nothing fancy, strong motor, smooth transmission, enough features to be happy (though the Ford Infotainment system seemed much better than the Tundra entune stuff, which doesn't matter because I am coming from a tape deck). I also hate the bump under the rear seats of the tundra, they need to make that flat but at least the seats fold up.

I really wanted to like the 2018 F150 and I have read the forums where owners say the 10 speed just needs to learn for awhile and it will smooth out (I say BS, If it doesn't shift properly new no way am I spending $40k and cross my fingers that it will get better or even worse let ford try and fix it). Maybe in a few years the F150 V8 10 speed will be sorted and I may consider it again, or maybe I will never go back as I will be almost 60 based on the rate I turn over vehicles.

I will post pics as a new owner when i get a deal put together with the dealer on a Tundra.

24. Jun 15, 2018 at 1:09 PM
    4x4_Angel

4x4_Angel Perfectly Imperfect Tomboy....TTC #132

Member:
    First Name:
    Bree
    Funky Town, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM Silver Sky
    ToyTec BOSS Lift, FRAC, 18" Fuel Pump wheels, Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    And yet.... you are here.... with a tundra....

25. Jun 15, 2018 at 1:17 PM
    HecticEnergy

HecticEnergy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tundra SR5
    Winjet Rear brake lights, leather seats, BackFlip tonneau cover, Spyder headlights, Pro Grille, pop&lock
    Welcome! I look forward to the pics!

As you pointed out, Tundra is behind the times when it comes to electronics. My brother in law had a Tacoma as a free rental when he was getting some work done on his 2008 Tundra. I rode in it with him and they definitely loaded that one up with the bells and whistles. I'm sure Toyota will follow suit with the Tundra in the next few years. They've got a bit of catching up to do with the big 3.

But as you pointed out, infotainment systems dont make the truck.
    my 2017 SR5 5.7l has a crap ton of power for my use and feels great to drive. Yeah, it drives like a truck - but there are some modifications that can be made to smooth out the ride and improve the handling a bit.

Storage in the back seat of my CrewMax SUCKS! Good news is you can fix that aftermarket too (ESP boxes). most of that is padding for sound dampening (I'm assuming).

I've had mine for about a year and hardly miss the bells and whistles I gave up when I traded in my 2013 Kia Optima. There are a few nice-to-have convenience features I miss, but I'll be adding those after market later :)

Good luck putting that deal together! I dont find the vehicle purchasing process all that enjoyable - but hopefully it goes smoothly for you.

26. Jun 15, 2018 at 2:43 PM
    dandailey

dandailey King Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan D
    Newport News Va.
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD 4x4 DC Tundra 5.7 Blue Ribbon
    Bakflip Revolver X2 ,Nestahedition Firestalk antenna, TRD dual exhaust, WeatherTech liners, in channel deflectors, 20% tint front, Tundra bed mat.AFE pro dry s filter,SA XDM 3.8 compact 9mm., Wheel to wheel N-Fab 3 steps.Lamin-X yellow on fogs, Bilstein 6112's top setting, BFG KO2's 275/70-18.Pioneer HU, JL RD amp, Focal speakers everywhere.
  27. Jun 15, 2018 at 2:45 PM
    T500

T500 # The Dark Side

Member:
    First Name:
    Alfie
    Neptune, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black
    This shonky thread still going?

15whtrd and duece292 like this.
  28. Jun 15, 2018 at 2:57 PM
    4x4_Angel

4x4_Angel Perfectly Imperfect Tomboy....TTC #132

Member:
    First Name:
    Bree
    Funky Town, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM Silver Sky
    ToyTec BOSS Lift, FRAC, 18" Fuel Pump wheels, Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    :rofl:

29. Jun 15, 2018 at 3:06 PM
    Atomic City Tundra

Atomic City Tundra Cam Tower Leak Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 5.7FFV CM 4X4

Agree on the front end of the Tundra. But the 5.0 specs? If you are talking the regular F150 (not the Shelby), we have for the 5.0:

Peak HP: 395 @ 5750 rpm
    Peak Torque: 400 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm

Now for the Tundra 5.7:

Peak HP: 381 @ 5600 rpm
    Peak Torque: 401 ft-lb at 3600 rpm

That doesn't scream "run rings" around the Tundra to me. Especially considering the gear packages that come standard in the Tundra vs. the F150. I don't know about the newer Tundras with the funky fuel maps, but my '13 feels a lot peppier than my buddies 5.0 F150.

Actually, I would choose the 5.7 numbers for a truck - makes peak torque at a lower RPM. Also, that 5.0 liter is putting out those numbers at a compression ratio of 12:1. The Tundra's compression ratio is only 10.2:1. Less stress. Yes, the 5.0 numbers are impressive for an engine that small. But, there is no replacement for displacement. The 5.7 is not being "stretched" as much. Plus, you have more room to play with if you actually do want to dive into the engine and do some mods.

My 2 cents - and that is about all that it is worth.

Ostrich, JoshuaA, Istvank11 and 5 others like this.
  30. Jun 15, 2018 at 3:20 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    because i am not disillusioned, living in fantasy land with blinders on.

Products Discussed in

To Top