1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying a new truck. Talk me out of buying a F150

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by tundrathr0w, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Jun 7, 2018 at 9:09 AM
    Patrickbateman

Patrickbateman New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 crew 4x4 limited
    Traded my 2015 Ecoboost for a tundra. After 45k miles it had issues that Ford couldn’t figure out. Loved it in the beginning but once it started having issues, couldn’t wait to get out of it.

2. Jun 7, 2018 at 9:11 AM
    T500

T500 # The Dark Side

Member:
    First Name:
    Alfie
    Neptune, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black
    I say go for the F150.

Taking bets on how long it’ll be until you’re back with regrets

:thumbsup:

15whtrd and Blueknights75 like this.
  3. Jun 7, 2018 at 9:25 AM
    Ike74

Ike74 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Sugar Land, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kia Forte
    I want to reiterate, I have driven Fords (mostly 250's) my entire life without a single issue. They held up incredibly well. I have two friends with ecobost F-150s that are in the 60k mile mark without a single issue and they still look new. So the Ford is not as bad as the Toyota guys say it is. However, the value you get in a Toyota is better. It is a proven platform and 15k less for the same level of trim. Yes, you won't have all of the tech stuff, but if you want it you can add higher quality variants in the aftermarket and still walk away for the same or lower price. Not to mention the CM is larger than the Super Crew. So you decide what you want, but my vote is Toy

4. Jun 7, 2018 at 9:45 AM
    Jesusquintana

Jesusquintana New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Crewmax 4x4
    My 2015 F150 XLT Sport

Brought it home and the first morning I hit the defrost and realized the parts of the rear window did not defrost so I brought it back. Maxwell in Austin said the rear window needed to be replaced but ford did not agree which started a 5-7 day process of ford having them check the connections and wiring before finally caving and sending a whole new rear window. Next up was the speedo getting stuck at 62 mph no matter if I was in park or driving which required a whole new instrument cluster. Kids seatbelt in rear quit working at was stuck halfway out and would flap around when driving. Steering wheel coating rubbed off where I would put my hand thus they installed a new wheel which rubbed off as well. Drivers seat began moving side to side when making sharp turns. Brakes chattered multiple times so they kept turning the rotors. The straw that broke the camels back was a popping noise/sensation in the steering when turning. After dropping the truck off from Tuesday - Friday two weeks in a row so they could replace multiple parts with no luck at fixing it (ford quit giving rentals out for service appointments so I had to uber home from work and be truckless while they dicked around) they wanted me to drop it off for the 3rd week in a row to replace the rack and pinion system. I told them no thanks and traded it in on a tundra.. That was a month ago and I have not been to the service center yet with the Toyota...hoping for many more months/years with the truck in the driveway and not at the service center.

5. Jun 7, 2018 at 9:58 AM
    easleycrawler

easleycrawler TOYOTA ADDICT- SSEM #78

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Easley, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra SR5 DC Black 5.7
    I bet there is a tjreat just like this on a Ford forum somewhere.

HUTCHJ and HecticEnergy like this.
  6. Jun 7, 2018 at 9:58 AM
    Shaggypeach

Shaggypeach New Member

Member:
    Don't

Sunnier likes this.
  7. Jun 7, 2018 at 10:01 AM
    tundrathr0w

tundrathr0w [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky Metallic Tundra CrewMax 4x4 5.7L
    ColoradoTJ, Trooper2 and JoshuaA like this.
  8. Jun 7, 2018 at 10:04 AM
    attillatundra

attillatundra New Member

Member:
    I say go with the Tundra. My friend had F150s for years with good luck but I here too many stories from others with bad results.

Best point I have is my friend who is a Ford mechanic who says in his own words -- Fords break down, Toyotas don't. He actually drives a chevy now.

9. Jun 7, 2018 at 10:06 AM
    easleycrawler

easleycrawler TOYOTA ADDICT- SSEM #78

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Easley, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra SR5 DC Black 5.7
    Ostrich, htw_hawaii, 15whtrd and 2 others like this.
  10. Jun 7, 2018 at 10:08 AM
    HecticEnergy

HecticEnergy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tundra SR5
    Winjet Rear brake lights, leather seats, BackFlip tonneau cover, Spyder headlights, Pro Grille, pop&lock
    That would never happen! LOL

https://www.f150forum.com/f2/newbie...g-f150-vs-tundra-vs-ram-1500-a-409671/index2/

EDIT: I like post #6 :D

"
    Please, don't compare Ford with Toyota when it comes to reliability. If you're looking for a reliability, get a Toyota. I'll get bashed for saying that because people here only swear by Ford, but let me tell you that my F150 is my first American brand vehicle, and by far, the less reliable I've owned (I've visited the dealership at least 1x per month since I bought it brand new in August 2018).

Numbers don't lie - Toyota has always been more reliable than Ford. However, I still prefer my F150 over the Tundra, and do believe that the F150 is a better pickup truck than the Tundra, but not more reliable.
    "

htw_hawaii likes this.
  11. Jun 7, 2018 at 10:16 AM
    teedubbya

teedubbya I like fat booty

Member:
    Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo 4runner
    Non biased opinion:

When I was looking in 2015, I saw too many issues with the new ford. My dad has owned them since the 80’s - some fell apart, some went strong for 200k miles until he upgraded. I do not genuinely feel that new Ford’s are built to last. I think tundra/4Runner/taco are the last of quality trucks out there. If you plan to trade in every couple years, then the ford features may be worth it, but keeping the truck...tundra all day.

Grumpy Uncle likes this.
  12. Jun 7, 2018 at 10:37 AM
    Yoturmotor

Yoturmotor New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Suffolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab, 5.7L Tundra
    If you go with a ford, go with a superduty, some of those trucks can have an impressive life span, but when it comes to a full sized, non diesel, the Tundra can outperform the F150 hands down. You don't see a lot of Toyotas in the shop for serious issues but go to your nearest auto shop and there's going to be a Ford out there getting something done, probably with the engine or transmission pulled out. Ford has Toyota beat in appearance because they spend a lot of money playing to the consumers needs for luxury and flash. That's what helps them become a highly rated brand, is people will comment on their appearances and features, and the volume of that normally outweighs the negatives consumers report. If you do decide to get a Ford, I would suggest a lease, so that you can get rid of the truck before it starts to have any serious issues arise.

13. Jun 7, 2018 at 11:50 AM
    FSUTundra

FSUTundra Misplaced Texan

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM 4x4 CM TRD
    As a general rule, I try not to rely solely on the opinions of those who directly profit from my decisions.

14. Jun 7, 2018 at 11:57 AM
    Newm

Newm New Member

Member:
    KC
    LOL....words to live by.

Ike74 likes this.
  15. Jun 7, 2018 at 12:15 PM
    BayRunner

BayRunner I’m here, except when I’m not

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platinum
    Reading this debate go on can be a bit mind numbing, but luckily today is a slow day at work :). Not that anyone really cares, but the best advice I can give is how I live. Make the decision based on what your gut is telling you and then accept the consequences of your decision whether that's good or bad.

HUTCHJ likes this.
  16. Jun 7, 2018 at 12:23 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    aw man im late to the party!

the above from Jerry is really all Toyota has going for it.

those dogging on the ecoboost need to familiarize themselves with the market. to get a V8 in the F150 is only an extra $800. i wouldn't drive a ecoboost either but the F150 5.0 is a beast.

the F150 will out tech, out perform the tundra in every way.
    (except for what jerry said)

ABYotafan likes this.
  17. Jun 7, 2018 at 12:32 PM
    jeffw6236

jeffw6236 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM CrewMax 4x4
    There are things I love about my Tundra and there are features it doesn’t have that might be nice. All a matter of opinion I guess. Best selling is Ford. Is that due to fleet sales etc? I think resale is an important data point that is reflective of long term quality and confidence.

JoshuaA likes this.
  18. Jun 7, 2018 at 1:43 PM
    nodak67

nodak67 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    23 Tundra Platinum Blueprint CM 4x4 5.5ft Non HV
  19. Jun 7, 2018 at 1:48 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    ^ i think that was a great idea on behalf of the OP to get real discussion on both sides of the fence

htw_hawaii likes this.
  20. Jun 7, 2018 at 2:25 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    Agreed. There are actually a few guys there who acknowledge that the Tundra might be more reliable - not just a bunch of fan boys giving biased opinions.
    Good research.

Ostrich and htw_hawaii like this.
  21. Jun 7, 2018 at 2:27 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    One thing that I found when I looked at both, is that the Tundra (CrewMax) rear seats are much bigger and more comfortable. If that matters to OP.

Ike74 likes this.
  22. Jun 7, 2018 at 2:28 PM
    HecticEnergy

HecticEnergy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tundra SR5
    Winjet Rear brake lights, leather seats, BackFlip tonneau cover, Spyder headlights, Pro Grille, pop&lock
    Too bad we cant all duke it out together....

"Yours is ugly! Mine looks way better..." (beauty is in the eye of the beholder)
    "Mine has all the bells and whistles..." "... You enjoy that when you're broke down on the side of the road or it's locked up in the shop for weeks on end ..."
    "Watch out for that frame rot!" "Watch out for those new tech gremlins!"
    "Ford sells more trucks world wide than any other." "..Because the owners have to replace them every 3 years.."
    "Ford is an American Company" "Tundras has the most parts manufactured in America.. that's jobs buddy" "... and all the profits go to Japan..."
    "Better MPG!" ".. means more money for repairs!"

Never mind. That conversation wouldn't make it very far LOL

Its a tough decision, but you need to figure out what's right for you. Some sites rate which truck "wins" but that's subjective. maybe out of 10 points one was better than the other... but that doesnt take into consideration what is more important to you. Professional reviews would probably be a good place to look - but (i agree) great idea getting the opinion of people who drive them everyday. Sounds like most people stand behind their purchase once made... unless they go back 6 months later and trade for the other haha

B737[QUOTED] likes this.
  23. Jun 7, 2018 at 2:34 PM
    HecticEnergy

HecticEnergy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tundra SR5
    I forgot... towing/payload... They like to tout that one...
    13,200/3,270 for F150
    10,500/2,080 for Tundra

.. really, if you need to tow more than 8k i'd say get a bigger truck (3/4 or 1 Ton) ... I could be wrong, i've never been in the market for that...

I know I know... the Tundra pulled the space shuttle....

24. Jun 7, 2018 at 2:47 PM
    DblGobble

DblGobble New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black SR5 Crew Max 5.7L
    I came from an F150.

I bought it as Certified Preowned with 50k miles on it and 4 years old so roughly 12,500 miles per year prior to my buying it.

The first 2 months everything was great. After that, I started losing power getting up to highway speed (around 55-60 mph). After I took it in and the dealer couldn't replicate the problem and had them do an oil change it went away so I thought okay, nothing major. Again, about 4 months later, the same distance away from an oil change the problem came back. Again, the dealer couldn't replicate the problem so they did an oil change and it went away. About 4 months later the problem happened again, same distance away from an oil change being due. This time I had made friends with the Service Manager and he was getting as pissed as I was. I told him to drive the truck that I didn't want it back until it was fixed. (Only about 70K-80K miles were on it at this point). It finally happened to the Service Manager. He couldn't find the problem no matter where he looked or what he looked for. Finally he got on the phone with Ford's engineers. He called me up and said that apparently there was an issue with some of the trucks when they drilled holes and shavings of the metal floating around the head. Once the oil pressure got to a certain level the metal would float up and stop the oil from flowing properly causing the loss of power. He had to tear apart the bank 1 head and finally found the metal shaving, about the size of a pencil eraser. After that the truck drove great for 3 years and 40K more miles. I was doing an oil change back in I believe February and while draining the oil it appeared cloudy. I took a look around noticed the engine coolant was low. Now I'm not sure it was engine coolant in the oil but after the other issues it not only pissed me off but scared me too and I had a Tundra in the driveway about a week later. I will never drive another Ford.

25. Jun 7, 2018 at 3:10 PM
    HecticEnergy

HecticEnergy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tundra SR5
    I know.. to many posts... last one for a while:

While looking an article that was referenced in the ford forum:
    https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/ford-f150-vs-toyota-tundra

It doesnt seem to be comparing apples to apples...
    For Price: it compares min trim levels and max trim levels (F150 min vs Tundra min) but doesnt go into much of what that includes (more important on the maximum price range side)... Nor does it find two trucks with similar trims and compare them... hard to do i'm sure with as much tech as ford packs in their non base level trucks...

Seat comfort: trip from Houston Texas to Anaheim California (yes, we saw Mickey) - driving strait through (minus stops for gas and food). Did the same on the way back (few pit stops but did the 22 hour drive in 26 hours with 2 kids and a pregnant wife: her idea). I didnt find the seats to be all that uncomfortable. Sure, not the best to sleep in, but with as large as the seats are (or maybe as small as we are) there was plenty of room to shift around to adjust your seating position.
    Ride quality and road noise were fine too... I am excited about putting a sway bar on to eliminate the body roll in the corners though. Maybe I'm just not that picky though...

The other stuff like road noise and visibility you'll just have to check out on your test drive.

damn this crewmax is roomy... I didnt see that mentioned USNews.... lol

Let us know which way you go!

26. Jun 7, 2018 at 3:19 PM
    Blueknights75

Blueknights75 040 IS THE FASTEST

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Clayton, NC
    Vehicle:
    18’ TRD CM leveled with 295/70 Ridge Grapplers
    15whtrd likes this.
  27. Jun 7, 2018 at 3:50 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    Lol, nice catch. Kudos to most of those F150 guys for their civility, I was expecting more trash talk and defensive buyer appreciation.

One thing though, ugly never once entered my mind, Toyota trucks have always reminded me of Dakar races. And after some mods, I seriously have truck crush every day.

0P8A9052.jpg

28. Jun 7, 2018 at 4:00 PM
    gm125800

gm125800 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali
    Was going to post the same. I still browse around to see what they're crying about today.....
    The trending one seems to be the crazy shifting on the 10 speed transmission. TFLTruck has done reviews on all trucks. Out of all truck brands, guess which vehicle has left them stranded more than once......

29. Jun 7, 2018 at 4:00 PM
    HecticEnergy

HecticEnergy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tundra SR5
    Feels about the same here... some trash talking all other trucks... others less brand loyal.

30. Jun 7, 2018 at 4:16 PM
    Ike74

Ike74 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Sugar Land, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kia Forte
    All cards on the table - I am a Ford fan boy through and through. I have driven 250's my whole life as my dad was a general contractor. I am a shareholder and I was obsessed with getting a supercrew coyote Fx4. I tried getting one, but try as I might, I could not get a good deal on one. In the end I listened to my broker and got the Tundra. . . . which I love. I hate the MPG, but I think it is more comfortable then the 150, has the same amount of features if I got an XLT, is more roomy, and I feel it is the most manly looking truck on the market, especially when you see ones like this:

All in all. I still get tempted by better MPG and nostalgia from my youth, but the adult decision is clear. Tundra is an adult truck, the f150 a techno gizmo play truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top