1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buy through Costco - no mark ups! If you don't know - now you know!

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by SD.Tundra.858, Jan 7, 2023.

1. Jan 7, 2023 at 4:28 PM
    SD.Tundra.858

SD.Tundra.858 [OP] Family man...Toyota fan! Best spices in town!

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Limited 4x4 w/ Platinum package
    As you should have. Did you find any other dealership to go through Sam's with?

2. Jan 7, 2023 at 4:53 PM
    mannyg84

mannyg84 New Member

Member:
    Nah…most were above msrp and hardly any 6.5 beds. Landed one on autotrader.

3. Jan 7, 2023 at 4:53 PM
    Kap1

Kap1 New Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794
    1. Obviously lots of dealers with honor Costco stuff if they can sell above msrp to others.

2. It's not great for a brand new car to drive long distance right away during the break in period. Primarily it's not good for new engine to stay on same speed/load levels for extended periods of time when brand new. The Car Care Nut mechanic, Toyota Master tech, recommended to drive at different speed intervals, not fast, don't accelerate fast during break in period, and take lots of breaks during your drive. Otherwise it's not ideal for the car break in period. Here's the link for you https://youtube.com/watch?v=nBBUQJKTaiM&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

4. Jan 8, 2023 at 4:46 AM
    MetalManEd

MetalManEd New Member

Member:
    I bought my 04 Tacoma through Costco and the experience then was great, no bullshit, no haggling and it was $500 over invoice.

So it’s $750 over the dealer invoice now or over MSRP? Did Costco find the truck for you or did you have to do the searching to find it in their network? Just wondering how their process is now?

5. Jan 8, 2023 at 6:15 AM
    WILLINH

WILLINH New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BILL
    NEW HAMPTON, NH
    2019 TUNDRA
    Congrats on your new Truck

Welcome from New Hampshire

SD.Tundra.858[OP] likes this.
  6. Jan 8, 2023 at 6:00 PM
    Beardaho

Beardaho New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23 Limited TRD LR 6.5

I have my truck coming through Edmark as well. Should arrive in the next week or two. Did you arrange the financing recently in January? They told me the Toyota rates on Tundras ended.

7. Jan 10, 2023 at 8:37 AM
    SD.Tundra.858

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    I had wondered about this exact very thing. However, I didn't really have much of an option. Overall, it was a pretty good ride. I did try to keep it steady around 80 mph, but that was a little bit harder on the back roads. ( let's just say this thing's a lot faster than my FJ Cruiser!)

However, there was one odd scare. I was doing about 80 on a back road. Snow started to lightly fall down, it was probably 35° out, and not a person in sight. The warning symbol started flashing on my Dash. It said something along the lines of emergency braking system and some other odd things. I wish I took a picture of it so I could clearly recall what it was saying. But the truck started to feel as if I was driving on the side of the road when you run over the marks that let you know you've gone off road. I thought it was something with the transmission. Anyway, I pulled over, put the truck in park, and turned it off. Once I restarted the truck, everything was back to normal. I proceeded to drive the next 12 hours home and there was nothing wrong.

Have any of you experienced something like this yet in your tundras? I'm going to take it to the dealership and see if they could download the log and see exactly what it was.

RickyBobbysTundra likes this.
  8. Jan 10, 2023 at 9:43 AM
    Kap1

Kap1 New Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794
    If I were to take a wild guess, probably one of the sensors or safety cameras for covered up by snow so truck start freaking out? Maybe you can try to press the button at bottom left (looks like car and cone) that disables automatic braking and safety if this happens again.

RickyBobbysTundra likes this.
  9. Jan 10, 2023 at 10:06 AM
    SD.Tundra.858

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Good point. Earlier in my drive the sensor for cruise control was covered with snow and it started acting all wanky. I did pull over and uncover that. I didn't think about that for this one. Luckily I live in San Diego where there's not much snow. However, I do go up to the mountains quite a lot to go snowboarding so I'll have to keep an eye on that. Kind of sucks that something as simple as snow could mess up all the sensors and require you to get out to uncover them. I guess I've been spoiled the last 20 years living in socal!

10. Jan 10, 2023 at 7:42 PM
    earlwright239

earlwright239 New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 Army Green Tundra SR5 TRD Sport
    A couple of weeks ago I had a large leaf cover the sensor in the grill and the dash started flashing multiple warnings over and over. I told my wife it's probably a leaf because another member mentioned that same issue a few months back. Stopped and removed it. Issues solved. Other than that I like the sensors. First vehicle I've owned with them.

11. Jan 10, 2023 at 10:10 PM
    SD.Tundra.858

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Costco found it for me. Took about 10 tries at dealerships from Cali to AZ to NV to ID. Dealer invoice.

Kap1 likes this.
  12. Jan 10, 2023 at 10:28 PM
    Ponderosa_Pine

Ponderosa_Pine

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra Cement DC
    Magnuson Supercharged, Dobinson Lift, 315/70r17 on Rockwarriors, Heftyfab bumper, Dirty Deeds 3” race exhaust
    I used Costco for my 2017 Tundra purchase. The Cons are it’s not very transparent what Costco is really providing/what dealers are involved etc. In my case I had to do alot of leg work to find a dealer that worked with Costco. The dealers view it as a customer pipeline and in 2017 only 1 in 4ish dealers here participated. Now in 2022 I don’t think any were involved with Costco except for specific low volume vehicles I’m guessing. Pros of the program was the no haggle price that was slightly below “invoice” if I remember right, well below the MSRP.

13. Jan 11, 2023 at 8:36 AM
    SD.Tundra.858

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Maybe it is different today. I simply called Costo auto program, told them the truck I'm looking for, what area of the country...boom - truck! Was a easy as can be!

Bprose, trazerr and SAGE63 like this.
  14. Jan 11, 2023 at 9:26 AM
    ChuckL

ChuckL New Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2023 Army Green TRD OR Limited
    Market Adjustment 100%

Protection Package 30%

Inter. and Exter. Protection 30%
    Just being aware a lot of my dealers get around the market up with Protection nonsense, at least in my area.

15. Jan 11, 2023 at 11:08 AM
    Half track

Half track New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Western Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver Tundra SR5 TRD, 38 gal tank
    Tow Mirrors
    Before the year 2020. I would offer $500 over dealers invoice, and would ask to see the Dealers invoice.
    This would work 80% of the time. I never paid over $1000 over Dealers invoice.
    Most MSRP are 10%-15% over what the dealer paid for the truck.
    So for a $65,000 truck, the dealer paid between $55,250-$58,500

I wonder if that is the same today?

16. Jan 11, 2023 at 12:04 PM
    SAGE63

SAGE63 Wannabe Go Fast Overlander Small Rock Crawler

Member:
    San Diego County
    Vehicle:
    2021 Super White Limited Crewmax TRD Offroad 4x4
    Yeah Tried costco carbuying when I bought my 21. all the dealers in San diego / Temecula area all said they dont honor it on vehicles in high demand. one dealer actually pulled out a list of vehicles they wont do.....
    And as Far as James at The Truck Stop... oh hell yes....

17. Jan 11, 2023 at 2:02 PM
    IslandStyle

IslandStyle New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 DC: Blueprint, TRD Premium Off Road AND 2004 SR5 DC: Charcoal
    Bought my '04 Tundra in August of '04 through Costco from a dealer in Carlsbad, CA (no idea if it's still there today). In those days I had a pick of a dozen or so trucks on the lot that were all pretty much what I wanted. They showed me a list of the trucks they had with what added features each had and what their invoice price was for each (I had a printout showing what those all should cost and it was spot on). I picked what I wanted and it cost me invoice +$750 (several thousand below MSRP). Thanks to a promotion they were having I left with 0% APR financing with them too (I had come in pre-approved from my credit union but who can argue with 0%). Those were the days!

I drove that truck for 18 years.

Bought my '22 Tundra in May of '22 through Costco from a dealer in Springfield, OR. It was a different experience but still a positive one. Luckily they had the truck I wanted in their allotment so I reserved it in March and picked it up a couple of months later when it arrived. They sold it to me for $1,000 below their stated MSRP (which aligned with everything I could find about what the MSRP should have been with that particular truck).

Obviously the '04 scenario was better but both were easy all things considered. No haggling about price either time which was nice. That was set from the first phone calls.

Also, similar to what the OP has noted, in both cases, all I did was tell Costco where I was and what I was looking for and dealers somewhat near me called me to discuss what they had on the lot or had incoming. In '04 I filled out a form at my local Costco store. In '22 I filled it out online. I received a call within a couple of days both times.

We have bought other cars via Costco over the years, and we'll do it again. It seems like a no brainer.

Kap1 likes this.
  18. Jan 11, 2023 at 2:29 PM
    trazerr

trazerr New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2024 Toyota Tundra Platinum LR
    Looks like one dealer in Oregon is doing "Costco pricing". Their "Costco pricing" for 4x4's is $350 below msrp... some dealers in the state are over $3k off MSRP for their 4x4's so not really a deal here.

19. Jan 11, 2023 at 3:48 PM
    SAGE63

SAGE63 Wannabe Go Fast Overlander Small Rock Crawler

Member:
    San Diego County
    Vehicle:
    2021 Super White Limited Crewmax TRD Offroad 4x4
    Could be... the rep from the service gave me the paperwork to bring to the dealer with pricing then I had to work with the dealer from there. This was in August 2020

20. Jan 18, 2023 at 9:36 AM
    Beardaho

Beardaho New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23 Limited TRD LR 6.5
    For what it's worth, I was able to work in the Costco pricing after already having a deposit down on an allocation. I just printed out the Costco doc and showed it to the sales rep. No market adjustment and good for 15% off accessories as well.

IslandStyle and Kap1 like this.
  21. Jan 18, 2023 at 9:47 AM
    SD.Tundra.858

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Nice! It really is the best way to go about buying a car/truck. If you did reach out to Costco, make sire to do their survey and get 50%off parts up to $200.

Products Discussed in

To Top