1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bully Dog GT mpg's

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Brad90, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Jan 17, 2019 at 10:53 PM
    Brad90

Brad90 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra Crewmax Rock Warrior
    aFe Power Magnum Force Stage 2 SI PRO-DRY S intake, aFe Mach Force XP exhaust, 3 inch leveling kit, DVB front bumper, tri-fold tonneau cover.
    I've been running the BD for almost a week now. It has noticeably more power on premium tune. I was more interested in gaining gas mileage, but it doesn't seem to help at all. For the first couple days I went from just over 16 mpg (without the BD) to 13.4 (with the BD). As of today, it has increased to 15.5 mpg. I'm at a half tank left of 93 octane so when I fill up next with 87, I will try to performance tune then the tow tune to see what gets the best mpg's. Anyone else have any input on using the BD?

2. Jan 18, 2019 at 8:15 AM
    dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds Exhaust Fabricator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2013 tundra
    more than I can list here
    Ive never tested for mpg. Just power!!

But I have a lot of customers telling me that they’re seeing better mpg.

I’d say give it a tank or two before switching tunes.

3. Jan 18, 2019 at 8:22 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I suggest adjusting the throttle sensitivity as that may contribute to some of the mpg loss. Not because of the tune but more because of your foot LOL

nlaroy likes this.
  4. Jan 18, 2019 at 8:50 AM
    Brad90

Brad90 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle:
    aFe Power Magnum Force Stage 2 SI PRO-DRY S intake, aFe Mach Force XP exhaust, 3 inch leveling kit, DVB front bumper, tri-fold tonneau cover.
    I've been very easy on the throttle. I like how the transmission doesn't seem like it's searching for gears now. Stock it was like the torque converter wouldn't stay locked in.

5. Jan 18, 2019 at 8:52 AM
    dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds Exhaust Fabricator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2013 tundra
    more than I can list here
    Oh ya. Good point!!

Stock throttle or trail throttle will certainly net the best mpg

15whtrd likes this.
  6. Jan 18, 2019 at 9:05 AM
    Brad90

Brad90 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle:
    I'll eventually change my tunes after I try my 3 I have downloaded. I'm still impressed with it though.

7. Aug 10, 2019 at 12:28 PM
    Russ389

Russ389 New Member

Member:
    First of all I wouldn’t waste my money on 93 octane unless you have increased compression in that motor by some modification If anything running 93 as a post to 87 probably hurt your gas mileage because 93 is too cold in the stock motor to burn completely octane measurement is just a resistance from detonation it doesn’t have any more power

8. Aug 10, 2019 at 12:37 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Unless you are using the 93 octane tune in the bully dog. It’s required if you’re running that tune.

AZTundra likes this.
  9. Aug 10, 2019 at 2:26 PM
    Tundra_power

Tundra_power New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    That is correct the performance tune requires 93 octane to be safe. I did try running 87 in performance tune and there was pinging so for me i reccommend for a daily driver regular tune with 87 octane. Is the trail throttle sensitivity above stock or below as for performance goes.

15whtrd[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Aug 10, 2019 at 3:08 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I haven’t used the trail tune yet, I have adjusted the sensitivity back to stock for the throttle. If I need it to feel peppy, I just hit tow haul. That way if I’m off road, the stock throttle response is less touchy and acceleration over bumps is less jerky.

Products Discussed in

To Top