1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake upgrade?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by ToyotaTundraMike, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Feb 28, 2017 at 9:01 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

ToyotaTundraMike [OP] Not A New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Anyone else notice how shitty the brakes are on the 3rd gens if you actually have to slam on it and not just braking for a light or sign?

Tried to avoid hitting an animal and punched the brakes and it made a horrible noise and slid a bit before I stopped (paved road). Did the same thing the only other time I had to brake fast too.

Running stock rims and 275's so not a whole lot of extra weight. Any suggestions?

2. Feb 28, 2017 at 9:18 AM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    Oh yeah. They make a HORRIBLE sound when you brake fast. Same with my 2nd gen.

Getting my truck serviced and if I need new rotors, probably getting powerstop with OEM pads.

ToyotaTundraMike[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 28, 2017 at 9:19 AM
    tomsinamerica

tomsinamerica New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    White 2016 Tundra DC ltd
    I think it's a momentum issue rather than brakes... if they're good enough to lock up - bigger better brakes will still lock them up. With all things being equal after that, the next coefficient of friction to slow you down is tire size. These are big, heavy trucks - there's a ton of energy to dissipate getting them to stop. I've only had to stamp on mine a couple of times and was surprised at how fast i came to a stop - nowhere near as fast as my wife's old coupe but impressively quickly for a full size truck.

4. Feb 28, 2017 at 9:35 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Noise is the ABS, and I personally thought the Tundra brakes were pretty good.

5. Feb 28, 2017 at 9:37 AM
    ej63090

ej63090 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    McHenry, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax SR5
    I was thinking that the brakes on this truck are some of the best OEM setups.

bigoltater, landphil and ChucklesToy like this.
  6. Feb 28, 2017 at 9:45 AM
    boloson

boloson New Member

Member:
    Im with the op. Im used to braking last minute & feel that it takes almost full pressure of the pedal to stop. And i also agree that it's momentum of this heavy truck. Was thinking of upgrading my brakes once the oem stuff wears

7. Feb 28, 2017 at 9:50 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Makes me wonder if people have bigger tires or something.

8. Feb 28, 2017 at 10:13 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

ToyotaTundraMike [OP] Not A New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Oh I'm not trying to come off as badmouthing the Tundra compared to other brands, I have only ever driven Toyota besides my dads 06 GMC 2500 and I definitely prefer the Tundra brakes. It will probably just take some getting used to since my 4runner and 1st gen Tundra were significantly smaller and stopped a lot quicker. Was just wondering what options were there that may help out if any.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  9. Feb 28, 2017 at 10:16 AM
    ChucklesToy

ChucklesToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra Limited 4X4 Nightshade Blueprint
    BAK MX4, window tint, TRD skid plate
    1st gen Tundra definitely stopped quicker, but then it was a much smaller truck. My 3rd gen Tundra does stop better than my 2014 Silverado did. But it does take some getting used to. I like to think of the newer Tundra as more 'controlled'...

bigoltater likes this.
  10. Feb 28, 2017 at 10:18 AM
    tomsinamerica

tomsinamerica New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    White 2016 Tundra DC ltd
  11. Feb 28, 2017 at 10:45 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Every manufacturer has different brake pedal feel. My Lexus and Tacoma have a very light feel and if slammed on, hold on.

My GMC has a hard brake feel and needs more effort. Brakes well, just different feel.

ChucklesToy likes this.
  12. Feb 28, 2017 at 10:45 AM
    rockjockey

rockjockey Per ardua ad astra!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tundra TSS
    Love the brakes on my Gen 3 EXCEPT when the ABS activates. Seems like it wants to activate too easily.
    Of course, I grew up without ABS brakes and learned to control my vehicle without them while braking.
    I guess the automotive engineers will say the vehicle will stop in a shorter distance with ABS than without
    but it's never felt that way to me.

ToyotaTundraMike[OP] likes this.
  13. Mar 1, 2017 at 3:01 AM
    Quartermeter

Quartermeter New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DC WHITE
    FOX 2.0 REARS, OME FRONTS FIRESTONE AIR BAGS RCI SKID PLATE
    Yeah i agree with rockjock. The abs brakes dont feel right. You can buy upgraded rotors and pads for way less than the above link. Im sure Some have passed thru here.

14. Mar 1, 2017 at 6:02 AM
    10forty2

10forty2 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TRD-4x4 XSP-X
    I've never been a fan of ABS. The first vehicle I had with it was a 1992 Chevy K5 Blazer. It was a little freaky the first time I had to hit the brakes hard and the pedal went all the way to the floor as the ABS took over and started the tell-tale buzzing as it surged the brake pressure on each wheel. From them on, I've tried whenever possible to avoid making it activate on any subsequent vehicles. I haven't had to slam on the brakes on the Tundra yet, but so far mine feels like a very substantial braking system. Seems to me, that if wheels are locking up, the brakes are doing just fine and as stated earlier, it's a momentum thing. Now, if they weren't slowing the vehicle down properly, it could well be a braking problem. Could be something as simple as the new brake pads weren't properly broken in. Very few drivers know that a new vehicle and/or a new set of brake pads need to properly broken in. If not, then they will glaze over and will not offer good braking power. Not sure what brand tires the OP has, but that could also factor in to the stopping power. They could have a harder compound and therefore be more prone to skid. Several things could be the issue, but it definitely seems to be the size and weight of the truck itself.

15. Mar 1, 2017 at 9:09 PM
    MrWrench

MrWrench New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra limited
    Spray on bed liner, Bak mx4
    I think my gen 3 has plenty of stopping power. Hit the brakes hard the other day and watched as the nose of the truck dived down as I was braking. Whenever I have to replace the pads and rotors, I will prolly go with ebc pads and slotted rotors. I have been putting ebc on my and wife's vehicles and not had a complaint.

16. Mar 1, 2017 at 9:37 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Eclipsed & Floating Over it.........

Member:
    I’m right where I need to be
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    Mine feel like if you get on them hard it'll stop well, but yes, it "feels" heavy. Sometimes if I'm coming to a stop and am coming in slow the pedal feels like it wants to go almost to the floor. I sometimes have to pump them to re-engage to get the stopping power I need. I don't know much about brakes...might this be the ABS or air in the lines? It only has 2500 miles and doesn't seem to be improving or getting worse.

17. Mar 1, 2017 at 9:40 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD

I wonder if there is some differences in braking components between 2nd gen and 3rd gens?

18. Mar 1, 2017 at 9:43 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Eclipsed & Floating Over it.........

Member:
    I’m right where I need to be
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    What year did they switch to Gen 3? I had a '12 and it didn't feel like these

19. Mar 1, 2017 at 10:03 PM
    Joeshaker

Joeshaker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Bilstein 6112/5160 trd sway bar and ride rite bags. Black and burnt orange wet okole seat covers.
    3rd gen started with the 14's. My 13 stops great, with a much more controlled feel than my 2000. The new truck weighs what, like 1500 lbs more and stops better. 26k on it and the brakes are fine with lots of life left. 2000 had a recall, bigger calipers and pads, the upgraded pads and rotors needed to be replaced again after another 20k. So, I'm happy with the 2nd gen! I don't know about any changes to the 3rd gens, kinda doubt it.

Eclipsed & Floating likes this.
  20. Mar 28, 2019 at 5:40 AM
    Marco

Marco New Member

Member:
    I had stock 275 65 R18 rims tire, Now I run 275 65 R20 tires rims and Emergency braking is the same for
    both set ups. There is an upgrade brake calipers and piston set up which would help greatly. but the cost isn't worth the difference.
    Try this.. Hold your abs button for 6sec until your abs track lite up on dash. now your computer free... emergency brake at 20 mph
    then restore your computer control,. Push track button ... now emergency brake at 20 mph again... the computer will make all the difference in the world for our heavy framed trucks.

21. Mar 28, 2019 at 8:07 AM
    BajaTurd

BajaTurd Burrito Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Aj
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    19 4x max
    Camburg uppers Kings Deavers
    My tacoma brakes were really touchy, i miss it, i feel like i have to fred flinstone off freeway exits in the tundra, and i hate feeling like im riding the brakes. just because its a heavier truck doesnt mean brakes can't work efficiently. when brakes are due im going to look at other options.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  22. Mar 28, 2019 at 8:20 AM
    spyshot

spyshot New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    I’m glad this got brought up, my 2005 has got some terrible breaks. I wonder if anyone out there has upgraded to a newer Toyota and after owning both is able to comment on the third generation versus the first on stopping power.

Products Discussed in

To Top