1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake issues after installing 6” lift and 35” tires

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Navygunner, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Mar 3, 2020 at 3:51 AM
    Navygunner

Navygunner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 tundra crewmax 4x4
    6 inch rough country lift, 35” pro comp tires, S&B cold air intake
    I just bought a 2020 Tundra crewmax 4x4 and wasn’t happy with the tire size on the truck. I lifted my truck 6” with a rough country suspension lift and put 35” pro comp tires on it. After 3 days of getting my truck back I was driving over a bridge and on the way down my brakes went out completely!!! The pedal had ZERO resistance and went straight to the floor board. I did all I could not to cause an accident and used the grass on the median plus my emergency brake to come to a stop. The auto body shop towed me back to there store. There was brake fluid all on the wheel well of the front driver side. The metal brake line seemed to have been pinched or cut and cause my brakes to go out. Anyone ever had this happen due to installing a 6” lift?

5D1046DD-B261-4939-A164-F1A768D0D5D3.jpg
    1656BCE7-E238-4B8A-B291-133F9CDE6CD2.jpg

2. Mar 3, 2020 at 3:53 AM
    chugs

chugs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ciao
    Central Cali
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Blue Streaker
    Who did the install?

3. Mar 3, 2020 at 4:55 AM
    Navygunner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 tundra crewmax 4x4
    An ASE certified auto body and off road shop.

4. Mar 3, 2020 at 4:59 AM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADIN',RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    They should be held accountable, they just wanted the money and probably rushed the job, and didn't tell you of the brake line

5. Mar 3, 2020 at 5:01 AM
    Navygunner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 tundra crewmax 4x4
    I have address this with the company. I did not post this thread for advice on how to deal with the auto body shop. Was I inquiring about anyone having same issues with lifting and bigger tires. Maybe certain lift size and tires possibly causes rubbing or something like that.

6. Mar 3, 2020 at 5:02 AM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Nope, bought mine used, 6" RC lift as well, zero issues, no rub

7. Mar 3, 2020 at 5:02 AM
    Danman34

Danman34 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra TRD Sport
    Jesus. That is pure error on the shop that did the install. This is why I do all my own work.

8. Mar 3, 2020 at 5:03 AM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Also depending on your wheel offset is and wheel spacers

9. Mar 3, 2020 at 5:43 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    I am really surprised that any modern automotive brake system is allowed to have total loss of brake function from a fluid leak at one wheel.

In 1967, the Federal government mandated that all cars have dual master cylinders to separate braking into a front system and a rear system, avoiding a total loss of braking. I have wondered how that functionality is maintained within ABS controllers that may have to brake a front wheel and a rear wheel simultaneously. With coordinated braking needed on all four wheels for ABS and traction control, it appears the earlier government mandate of having at least some brakes all the time has been sacrificed for intelligent application under normal conditions.

Since I have had the experience of a brake line failure on a pre-mandate vehicle (single master cylinder), I can relate to the dismay of trying to get a vehicle stopped without brakes. That particular vehicle also had an issue with the accelerator linkage falling off a big 4 barrel carb, and the throttle plates being spring loaded for WOT. You had to think fast when your Chebby suddenly, without warning, started toward red line. You can't continue accelerating, and you can't depress the clutch (at no load, you will red line fast). Solution developed under extreme stress: Turn off the switch and coast to a stop. I'll bet few owners had the presence of mind in that situation.

MS22 likes this.
  10. Mar 3, 2020 at 6:12 AM
    Lovetrucks

Lovetrucks Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram Rebel
    Sorry I’m not familiar with Toyota’s braking system but I know with mine the regular brakes are separated from the ABS . In the owners manual it explains that in the event your brakes go out ( due to extreme off-roading) the ABS will act as your regular brakes so you can get in to the dealer .

11. Mar 3, 2020 at 2:37 PM
    GasGuzzler

GasGuzzler New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    6” Readylift AMP Research Power Step Sides Fuel Grenade wheels Toto Tire Complete Stereo Overhaul
    You don't have that issue if the person installing the lift is not a complete IDIOT! I haven't read the whole string but I'm guessing they didn't install the requisite brake line extensions. Glad you are ok. S**t could have gotten out of control. :bikewhoops:

12. Mar 3, 2020 at 3:27 PM
    Navygunner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 tundra crewmax 4x4
    It is the small metal OEM line behind the caliper. It looked like it was pinched or something. Brake fluid squirted out when I applied pressure on the pedal. This metal line had nothing to do with the lift line extension.

13. Mar 3, 2020 at 4:18 PM
    Hammerdog

Hammerdog YCMTSUP

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    Louisa VA
    Vehicle:
    2018 tundra sport crew max
    Tint Bed cover Red Tow Hooks TRD Intake 7 inch BDS 22x12’s 35 Toyo’s Rigid ditch lights RC light bar in bottom grille One bad ass stereo
    Yea, someone made a boo boo when they installed your lift. All of that stuff is moved /relocated when they install your lift. If I was a betting man I would say that when they took the front end apart they wire or zip tied the brake caliper assembly out of the way and maybe used too much force when moving it around and pinched that line. Your damn lucky it didn’t turn out worse for you. I have or had lifted many vehicles in my lifetime. I’m always paranoid about the brakes, steering, etc. hopefully this will be your only issue, but I’d be looking that lift and components real close .... and also making sure you retourque or have someone check the wheel lugs... ask me how I know about that...

14. Mar 3, 2020 at 4:52 PM
    Navygunner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 tundra crewmax 4x4
    Hammerdog thank you for the reply. You’re absolutely right about relocating the brakes/caliper. I did a 2 1/2 level on my RAM and used bungee cords to hold it up. Had a 6” lift “professionally” installed on my new Tundra. I am very lucky I was able to think quickly and use the median, grass and emergency brake to get to safety.

Products Discussed in

To Top