1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake Controller Adjustment

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by clemsonc, May 14, 2015.

1. May 14, 2015 at 6:54 PM
    clemsonc

clemsonc [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi guys, I am using a Tekonsha P3 brake controller. When I tow, the trailer brakes seem to brake much harder than my Tundra. Currently the brake setting is on B2. Is it simply switch to B1, my problem will go away? Sorry for the newbie question.

Cheers.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  2. May 15, 2015 at 4:04 AM
    Jack Burton

Jack Burton New Member

Member:
    Little China
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 5.7L TRD/OR
    Tires, Diamondback HD Tonneau w/ ATV Carrier
    There's an adjustment protocol in the P3's manual. IIRC, it's: Find a flat, open stretch of road. Set braking power to 6.0 (halfway). Bring speed up to 25 mph, then manually apply trailer brakes only. This should bring both vehicles to a stop without the trailer locking up (skidding). If they lock-up, then reduce braking power and try again. If they don't lock, then bring power up until just below the point where they do. That'll give you maximum trailer braking. The idea is to get a smooth slowdown with both vehicles handling their own loads. If your load changes significantly, then you'll need to readjust your braking power.

Edit: Sorry, it's early here and I didn't really answer your question. Also IIRC, the B1, B2 settings and such are so you can set up different braking for different trailers/loads. Basically, set up B1 for your trailer loaded, B2 for unloaded; or B1 for your camp trailer, B2 for the work trailer, etc. Like I said, it's early and I may be off, but that's how I remember it.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  3. May 15, 2015 at 5:01 PM
    Relentless

Relentless Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    East of the Sierras(Reno), Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 Crewmax TRD 4x4> '15 Duramax SLT
    Just a few, more to come
    The P3 is setup for max level adjustment via the up/down arrows on the left, and 'ok' to select the power adjusted via the lower right button. Adjust up/down as necessary.
    The B1/B2/B3 is setup for braking aggressiveness essentially. B1 is lowest, and it's more agressive application of the trailer brakes in the higher numbers, up to your max setting dialed via the up/down arrows.
    I personally prefer the B2 setting as it is moderately aggressive for around town driving where people may cut in front and I need brakes quickly, B1 is a little lazier on the application, and B3 more aggressive on the application. My current setting on my 20ft car/equipment trailer is 4.6/B2 for unloaded and I adjust power up as necessary with load.

Jack Burton and UPSed like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top