1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake bleed

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by nicktrd09, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Dec 8, 2019 at 2:43 PM
    nicktrd09

nicktrd09 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm really new to working on cars and now I have been helping out mom with her truck since I use it. I got new rotors and pads, but would like to know how to make the brakes firm they are not really bad but would like them to feel more firm . Am i worrying about nothing or leave them or would a bleed restore them so my foot doesn't travel so far when applying the brakes? 2009

2. Dec 8, 2019 at 2:48 PM
    Theyfzman

Theyfzman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    I would say watch a couple YouTube vids on how to bleed the system there’s several ways it can be done. And as a auto technician I still like the 2 person method the best one person inside pumping the brake pedal and another opening the bleeder worst part of that job is braking the bleeder strew loose without it breaking I would pb blast them a day before. To help

chugs and Black Wolf like this.
  3. Dec 8, 2019 at 2:52 PM
    focal

focal and the Warthog

Member:
    First Name:
    Nikolai
    VA / NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tunda Rock Warrior 5.7 DblCab
    It won’t hurt to bleed them some. In fact, many cars will have the brake fluid overflow from the reservoir when installing new pads because they topped it off when the brake fluid was low after the extension of the brake calipers/pad wear. When you retract the calipers to add new brake pads, that fluid is pushed back into the reservoir. I would bleed them some beforehand, change the pads, pump the brakes afterwards, and top off any missing fluid.

4. Dec 8, 2019 at 11:21 PM
    Scuba

Scuba Sober member

Member:
    Austin, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Texas Edition CM.
    Bad/ old brake fluid can produce a soft pedal.
    Also, there’s a thread around here somewhere about exercising the ABS system to stiffen up the brake pedal.
    I would flush the system completely (starting farthest from the master cylinder and working your way to the closest) then exercise the ABS system by finding a gravel road and mashing on the brake pedal a couple times.

5. Dec 9, 2019 at 11:13 AM
    nicktrd09

Member:
    thank you for the responses i am satisfied and informed have a great holiday in your trucks and with family and have a happy new year

focal, Sunnier and 15whtrd like this.
  6. Dec 9, 2019 at 12:23 PM
    MacCTD

MacCTD New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 CM 4x4
    5100s
    I replaced all the calipers on my 2010, I used a vacuum bleeder to flush out the air and replace the old fluid, worked very well and it is a one man job.

7. Dec 17, 2019 at 3:23 PM
    nicktrd09

Member:
    I have a second question pertaining to this one. I was reading in another fsm on the infini I have and it's was saying when u adjust the parking brake it prevents it from using the abs senor or sliding. I have locked up the brakes on the tundra and the abs goes off and locks and slides. Say I do the brake bled it will still do this correct. And to make this not happen frequently after I bled them would I then consider adjusting the parking brake so that I'm not locking up and sliding when in case I have to make a emergency stop.

8. Dec 17, 2019 at 4:20 PM
    ZPMAN

ZPMAN 2nd place is the 1st looser

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Platinum Supercharged
    4" lift, 35s, Magnuson Supercharger
    I have found that by heating the bleeder till its cherry then let it cool will break the rust bond free.

Products Discussed in

To Top