1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bluetooth calls work with radio off.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Wynnded, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Jun 28, 2015 at 4:41 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded [OP] What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I didn't know this before, nor have I seen it mentioned/read about it in the manual.

I had my phone connected to the radio via Bluetooth for taking/making hands free calls while on the road. On this particular occasion, I was parked and had returned from inside the parts store. I hopped in the truck, put the key in the ignition, turned it to On to roll up the windows to make it easier to hear, then I turned the key back to Accessory and dialed a call.

The radio was off when I pulled into the lot and was still turned off. When I put the phone up to my ear, I noticed that the radio display showed that it was dialing and the ring was coming from the speaker as is the case when the radio is on.

Again, I didn't know that this was possible, pretty cool.

2. Jun 29, 2015 at 10:12 AM
    Bob

Bob Member Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma PreRunner Black
    Interesting... I guess it's always on for the BT calls.

Are they all like that?

3. Jun 29, 2015 at 10:40 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    I would think so.

4. Sep 14, 2015 at 5:38 PM
    DawgGam

DawgGam New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Hamiton Ont
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Tundra Dbl SR5TRD
    (included in purchase) LineX nerf bars Extang Solid Fold tonneau Weather Tech mats Tow Mirrors (future improvements) Autogas (propane) tint ventshades (Oct 10) back up camera Leer work cap (thinking about keeping the tonneau cover) bed-slide rear 'helper bags'
    This is very good to know... I will put mine to a test as soon as I pick it up and let you know.

5. Sep 15, 2015 at 6:06 AM
    CaptTyler

CaptTyler Life’s too short to have an ugly boat.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ram 2500 Cummins
    Mine does the exact same thing.

6. Sep 15, 2015 at 7:13 AM
    53flattie

53flattie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 CM 4WD
    2.5" / 1.5" leveling kit ; 275/70/18 BFG AT/KO's
    Speaking of this... I have noticed that, if I receive a phone call while driving, I don't have the option to go to the "Handset" mode. That option is grayed-out on the screen. My only option is to tell the person to hold on, open my iPhone, and turn off the BT. When I have passengers in the car with me, I don't usually want my phone conversation broadcast over the speakers (thanks to my friends with foul mouths and my 10 year old daughter in the truck).

Is there a setting that will allow me to select "handset" mode while in motion? (I know that I have that option while sitting still)

7. Sep 15, 2015 at 8:20 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded [OP] What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    If it's available while parked, but not while moving, its probably intentional to prevent the driver from taking their hands from the wheel. A safety thing I suppose.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  8. Sep 15, 2015 at 11:01 AM
    Jack Burton

Jack Burton New Member

Member:
    Little China
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 5.7L TRD/OR
    Tires, Diamondback HD Tonneau w/ ATV Carrier
    My BT sometimes stays connected even long after the truck has been parked. I'll be at home and grab my phone to make a call, but can't hear anything. This also happens with incoming calls, the phone rings, but when I answer, we can't hear each other because I'm not in the truck--and even if I was we couldn't hear because the friggin truck's not even on! I'll have to hang up, go into my phone's settings and manually disconnect from the truck, then try my call again. I was blaming this on my last phone, but it's now happened twice with my new phone (most recently last night), so it's obviously the truck's fault. I'll have to take it back to the dealer and see if they'll do something about it before my factory warranty is up. As you might imagine, it's pretty damned annoying when it happens.:annoyed:

9. Sep 17, 2015 at 8:27 AM
    53flattie

53flattie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 CM 4WD
    Mine does the same thing. I don't think it's faulty - I think it's more likely that the signal range of the BT is too great. Meaning, once you park and go inside, the BT stays connected.
    For all of the above reasons, I've gotten to the point where I just leave the BT turned off of my phone because it's more hassle than it's worth. (I've also had multiple people tell me they have trouble hearing me when I talk on the BT through the speaker system. I tried turning off the heat/AC fan - still no dice). IMO - it's a neat feature, but has some problems.

Jack Burton likes this.
  10. Sep 17, 2015 at 12:27 PM
    Jack Burton

Jack Burton New Member

Member:
    Little China
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 5.7L TRD/OR
    Interesting. Thanks for the input. I guess I have to take my phone out to the back yard every time I get home to make sure it gets out of range and drops the connection. PITA, but it is a feature I like having when in the truck. It's especially nice to have the system read incoming texts to me while I'm driving. Dunno what your local laws are like, but around here you can't even pick up your phone and look at it when behind the wheel (even stopped at a red light) unless your completely parked. I had the problems you're having in my Taco, but no conversation issues with this rig.

One definite drawback to the BT connection happened to me recently. I had a high, canned air-huffing jackass run his car off the road in front of me. I stopped, then grabbed my phone as I headed to check on him. When I called 911, we couldn't talk to each other because I was out of the truck. Obviously my own stupidity, but just didn't think about it in the moment.

11. Sep 18, 2015 at 9:37 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded [OP] What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Hang on a sec, are you guys experiencing the phone staying connected to the truck scenario described in the last few posts even when the key is in the off position? I never thought to see if that would happen. When I made my post, I had turned the key to ON to lower the windows, then turned the key to ACC.

I've also had it happen where I've left the key in the ACC position to continue playing the radio while loading something in the cargo box while the phone is in my pocket, then received a call and had a mildly surreal experience trying to figure out where the voice was coming from.

12. Sep 18, 2015 at 9:52 AM
    Jack Burton

Jack Burton New Member

Member:
    Little China
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 5.7L TRD/OR
    Yup. Staying connected when the truck is in the driveway and the keys and phone are inside the house. No apparent timeout function or anything either. It stays connected even when the truck's been parked for hours.

13. Sep 18, 2015 at 10:27 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded [OP] What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I suppose that I never picked up on that because I'm consistent about turning my BT off when away from the truck. Apparently it's more convenient to do on my phone than on yours. Some time I'll have to try mine out to see if it will stay connected while I'm on the sofa. Honestly, this kinda sounds like a handy excuse to "miss" certain calls.

14. Sep 19, 2015 at 5:41 AM
    53flattie

53flattie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 CM 4WD
    Not beating a dead horse here, but one other item I'll warn you guys about... I listen to podcasts while I work in the yard - usually the Adam Carolla Show. On several occasions, my daughter and I have jumped into the truck to go somewhere and as soon as I start the truck, the podcast starts playing through the radio. You've never seen someone scramble so fast to get the radio turned off before Adam dropped a big GD bomb or something.
    And to make it worse, if you're in reverse, you can't access the radio controls. It was a pretty funny scene - me slapping and pawing at the radio, trying to get it stopped. Not sure why I didn't just turn the volume down, but that didn't occur to me at the time....

T-Rex266 likes this.
  15. Sep 20, 2015 at 10:21 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
  16. Sep 20, 2015 at 7:31 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded [OP] What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Which leads me to believe that you won't be using that bed extender you swooped me on.:p;)

17. Sep 20, 2015 at 8:03 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Actually used it today. I use it quite often. You need to swoop faster than this old fart. :oldglory:

18. Sep 21, 2015 at 4:10 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded [OP] What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I guess that's what I get for living so far away....:turtleride:

19. Sep 25, 2015 at 8:23 PM
    DawgGam

DawgGam New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Hamiton Ont
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Tundra Dbl SR5TRD
    (included in purchase) LineX nerf bars Extang Solid Fold tonneau Weather Tech mats Tow Mirrors (future improvements) Autogas (propane) tint ventshades (Oct 10) back up camera Leer work cap (thinking about keeping the tonneau cover) bed-slide rear 'helper bags'
    Ok... I've been using the bluetooth in my truck for the past couple of days and have had no issues with it being connected after a) I turn the truck off.. or... b) I get more than 20 feet away from the truck while it's running.

Just throwin' this in there is all :)

20. Sep 25, 2015 at 9:07 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded [OP] What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I haven't either, but I haven't activity tried. Maybe I will this weekend, as my parts won't be here.

Products Discussed in

To Top