1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blown motor 2010 Tundra

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Janfire, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Aug 8, 2016 at 10:09 AM
    Janfire

Janfire [OP] New Member

Member:
    I am in need of some advice... we own a 2010 supercharge tundra. Last weekend, at 140 000kms the motor blew... Connecting rod went through the block motor. Toyota says 'well its not under warranty any more so tough luck'. Does this seem normal to anyone?? Spending over 60 grand on a truck, doing all required maintenance at the dealer and having this happen... we are kind of stunned. Would have thought one of the highest ranking car manufacturers would help us out at little more, and possibly find a justifiable reason as to WHY the connecting rod went in the first place. In 2007 there was a recall on these trucks for that exact reason, maybe this could be the same for the 2010??

2. Aug 8, 2016 at 10:32 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    Depends was the maintenance done per spec first..

If you FLOORING it from stop light to stop light that will shorting the life alot.

Connecting rod could have had been bad from the start( hard to prove) and the supercharger made it fail faster..

Wrong type of oil used.( Too thin or too thick)

Upped the pulley to higher boost psi of the supercharger can cause failure.

Applying boost to a very cold engine no no..

3. Aug 8, 2016 at 10:59 AM
    Janfire

Janfire [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thats the problem... Without trying to sound like those 'perfect' vehicle owners, synthetic oil, no overdoing it... We have two kids, live a relaxed lifestyle... The truck has had 2 owners, my father-in-law and us... My husband and his father the same, very meticulous with their vehicles.

4. Aug 8, 2016 at 11:07 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    To be honest no manufacturer is perfect not even Toyota.

To be honest the supercharger adds LOT stress to the components in the engine.. sooner or later the supercharger will win and engine will lose.

To me it sounds like a forge problem in the rod (void) that's what caused the failure...

Do you have a pic of the rod sticking out of the block by chance?

5. Aug 8, 2016 at 11:20 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    With around 87K miles (I assume you are canadian?), it would seem a little premature.

As @Mike stated, the maintenance on said truck would be my concern. With a SC, everything comes into play. 3k on oil changes, premium fuel, mods, letting the truck get vacuum before taking off (so not just starting up and taking off, even if truck is already warmed up), good synthetic oil and filters...etc.

Sometimes crap just happens. This is a 505HP motor that has 87K miles on it. I purchased my non-flex fuel truck purposely just to install a SC. I chose not to after some serious thought (I use my truck for a tow rig only). Now with the SC cost, no way I would do that. That 7200.00 along with the selling of my paid off truck is a healthy down payment on a diesel tow rig.

If the SC is still good, I would look into a used motor. I have seen some lower mileage ones for 4000-5000.00

6. Aug 8, 2016 at 9:43 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Would it just happen to be cylinder number 5? There's a thread where a guy has gone through two engines in as many months, and in both cases it was the number five cylinder that failed.

7. Aug 8, 2016 at 11:39 PM
    mudsweatngearz

mudsweatngearz New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited TRD CM 2016, Tacoma TRD Sport, 2005 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Window tint
    On my 5.7 it was the number 9 cylinder that went....oh wait....

8. Oct 21, 2016 at 10:39 PM
    signalbobby

signalbobby New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra PRO & 4R PRO
    Typically the con rod bolts backed out and caused it to blow through. The increased stress on each stroke causes the con rod bolt to go through more pressure and expansion than it would have without forced induction.

My SC'd e46 m3 also blew a whole because the bolt backed out and ultimately releasing the cap through the bottom.

When i built 2jz bottom ends, different cap bolts had different psi strengths and torque specs than others. I can guarantee an OEM bolt is nowhere near the strength as an ARP.

Maintenance wouldnt have prevented something like this. It would have just worn down bearings.

9. Oct 22, 2016 at 7:52 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    The 3uz wasn't designed for a supercharger from the factory so it wasn't beefed up..

If bolts are backing out either a) not torque right, b) improper torque techniques used, c) wrong bolt for the application. ( Highly the case in this problem). D) wrong type for metal used when manufacturering the bolt..

I have built American engines excessive of 1500 HP and run like a dream.

It all goes down to application,application application...

10. Oct 22, 2016 at 10:31 AM
    signalbobby

signalbobby New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra PRO & 4R PRO
    You are correct. If it was then there wouldnt be these issues. Application specific.

Products Discussed in

To Top